• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cb51

Feb 8, 2017
    Georgetown Tx.
    Notice “No Hillary Hole”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My old steel frame model 60 doesn't have a Hillery hole either! Should I feel deprived?
    It's a little heavy though, that's why I was looking at the Airweight .38 or a Ruler LCP. My inclination is to just stay with he revolver since I am so used to it.
    14875610460_e28c2d31a9.jpg

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Random thoughts on that -

While the DeSantis Clip Grip is available for J-frames only, the Barami Hip Grip is available for J and K frames, both square and rounded, as well as several other brands of revolver. If you want something that looks nicer, the Collins Lip Grip is the same concept but in prettier materials at a higher cost.

Personally, I prefer the feel of the Clip Grip but that may just be my familiarity. I like the way it conforms to the generic Boot Grip profile, filling in behind the trigger guard a bit. I've never used the Hip Grip for more than a few rounds but my impression was that it needed the addition of a Tyler T-grip to fill in behind the trigger guard and to be comfortable. I've never even seen a Lip Grip.

Lip Grip from Collins: http://www.collinscraftgrips.com/pistol_grip.php?ID=196&grip=S&W+J+round+butt+Lip+Grips++made+from+Dymondwood

Clip Grip from DeSantis: https://www.desantisholster.com/CLIP-GRIP

Hip Grip from Barami: http://www.baramihipgrip.com/index.html
    I know it's not possible due to the cylinder swing and clearance considerations; however, I just wish these clip grips/hip grips/lip grips were available for lefties. These types of grips make a LOT of sense for J-frame carry.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I agree. I brought it up as it lives in my memory. The Code was written directly to Peace Officers. I'm almost 20 years past being a sworn Officer but in a life and death situation I refuse to remove any act from the table. In a deadly encounter I am going to prevail or die trying.
    These older and slower days have taught be the best way to help me and mine is to be aware of where I am. There are places I don't go any more, and people I won't engage with. And I keep my snubby cause I like it. It's what sneaks up on me that keeps me looking.
    As to the question the OP asked, I like my J Frame but over the years I liked compact semi's too. For me, a .38+P or a 9mm controlled expansion round, is as small as I really want to go.
    I am considering .32acp for more rounds and less recoil. I just don't know yet.
    Here's a thought--just a thought. One of the more important lessons I learned during an "Off-Duty Encounters" course was to NOT automatically act to a situation the same as you would if you were on-duty. For instance, most officers don't carry cuffs when off-duty, nor do they carry their duty weapon. Most carry a smaller firearm. I INTENTIONALLY carry a smaller weapon with a slightly less potent cartridge when off-duty so that I'm constantly reminded that it's for defensive use only and not to get involved in something inadvisedly. In that vein, I've been known to carry a .32ACP (Beretta 81 or Keltec P32) when I'm off-duty to keep myself "mortal", if you will.

I KNOW that I've got enough weapon to protect/defend myself and my family; however, it's not enough weapon to use offensively against some perp(s). My logic might not make sense to someone else; however, it has worked for me for the 20 years that I've carried a badge. So a J-frame definitely fits into the mold too, as far as I'm concerned.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    That is really tired and untrue. If some ******* attacks me I have to plan on getting back to my rifle at my house to properly defend myself?

If I shoot you in the face with my handgun I'd say I was pretty well armed. The adage you state may be accurate in a military situation, but in most self-defense and even LE scenarios what you have with you is what you get.
    Mostly true; however, if you're a road cop and the gunfight comes to you during a stop, it's awfully nice to be able to fight to the rifle--IF POSSIBLE. And, as we all know, that's not always possible.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Mostly true; however, if you're a road cop...

Most people aren't tho, and all that wannabe tacticool operator training might be fun, but it's like learning how to drive a city bus when you need to learn how to operator a John Deere combine. All useful information and skills to have, but the right people need to have the right set of skills... and doctrines.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Damn guys, I was just trollin.

Everybody knows that an AR style PDW is the real right answer.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Feb 1, 2009
    diesel1959
    Your points make perfect sense to me. I think the law requires a Peace Officer to act. If that action is calling 911 in order to get a bunch of help on the scene, you have done your job. I am reminded of the HPD Officer that passed up badguy #2 to confront badguy #1 holding up a Shell station. He was killed by Badguy #2. While his girlfriend watched.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom