• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That is really tired and untrue. If some ******* attacks me I have to plan on getting back to my rifle at my house to properly defend myself?

If I shoot you in the face with my handgun I'd say I was pretty well armed. The adage you state may be accurate in a military situation, but in most self-defense and even LE scenarios what you have with you is what you get.

I hope you plan on getting to a rifle after shoot me in the face, because I'm going to be pretty displeased with you.

I'd say your mistake in this situation is that you have to go all the way back to your house for the rifle. With a little planning you could have it much closer to your person at all times. This is going to be very important for those who choose to carry revolvers or 1911s with inferior ammunition capacities.
    Texas SOT

Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    That is really tired and untrue. If some ******* attacks me I have to plan on getting back to my rifle at my house to properly defend myself?

If I shoot you in the face with my handgun I'd say I was pretty well armed. The adage you state may be accurate in a military situation, but in most self-defense and even LE scenarios what you have with you is what you get.

Ahh..Lolololol. That made my morning.

Shoot-you-in-the-face

That's dirty dog, Lolololol

Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Nope, only way to be sure now.
    Too much chance of body armor...

I ain't faulting it. It gave me a vision of a 410 derringer stuck in the bad guys face. Seconds before he has a chance to think about ammo count. I've been wanting a derringer for a while also. It'd be in 38spc.

cb51

Feb 8, 2017
    Georgetown Tx.
    Nobody is well armed with a pistol. They are just useful for buying time until you can arm yourself properly.

I keep hearing people quote this and other silly sayings that sound like they are from some tactical Tommy school like Thunder ranch or Front Sight. I have a cousin that has spent a ridiculous amount of money at front sight and they've taught him how to get shot.

If something happens on the street, you either settle it with what you're carrying or not. You will not have time to go get a rifle. If you can get away to go get that rifle, it's all over. But people have paid a lot of money to be indoctrinated, so it's their call.

Even if the rifle is in your car trunk or behind the seat of the pickup, are you going to call a time out so the bad guy/guys will hold off for a minute so you can arm up?

Come on people!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I keep hearing people quote this and other silly sayings that sound like they are from some tactical Tommy school like Thunder ranch or Front Sight. I have a cousin that has spent a ridiculous amount of money at front sight and they've taught him how to get shot.

If something happens on the street, you either settle it with what you're carrying or not. You will not have time to go get a rifle. If you can get away to go get that rifle, it's all over. But people have paid a lot of money to be indoctrinated, so it's their call.

Even if the rifle is in your car trunk or behind the seat of the pickup, are you going to call a time out so the bad guy/guys will hold off for a minute so you can arm up?

Come on people!

There are no time outs. That's why it's important to have more than 6 rounds of ammunition and have your rifle as close as possible.

You need to carry something with enough capacity to hold the bad guy back until you can get to a weapon with stopping power.

Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Different tools for different levels of engagement. This isn't the wild west. A carbine has its place. The last example was the church shooting. Popping the trunk doesn't take that long and grocery bags still fit.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Ah, the old leftist "Wild West" argument. Nobody needs that kind of gun...

Keep saying that and soon it's your gun that "nobody needs".

Keep the rifle close, make sure you gotta enough ammo in the handgun to hold them back until you can get to it. Closer rifle and higher capacity will increase your odds.

Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    'Wild West' as in antiquated marksmanship and training. I'll use the term, 'Cave Man rock throwing' next time to convey a better message.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think we agree.

Antiquated training is a perfect description of people believing a handgun is "good enough". Handguns are for getting to a rifle. Rifles are for stopping threats.

Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Stopping the threat is step number 2. What you use to do it and in what order is irrelevant. Staying alive is number 1. We'd all like to assume the perfect tool for the job will be at hand. Best advice...

Shoot them in the face.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    With a rifle.

If you don't have the proper tool you've already failed at #1, which is having the proper tool to stay alive.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Most SD situations will start and end with you using whatever you have on your person at the time. Unless you're going for the "Fatty & Snowboots" look on a daily basis, then you're fighting the fight with your pistol.

Train accordingly.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

cb51

Feb 8, 2017
    Georgetown Tx.
    Okay for you rifle people; how do you tote a rifle around in todays modern urbanized landscape? Going to stop and pick up the dry cleaning? Stopping off to pick up a pizza on the way home? Dropping the car off for an oil change? Going to the dentist for the cleaning and exam? Going out to dinner with the better half?

You going to carry that rifle all the time? Yeah, right. The fact is, in modern American, whatever small handgun is concealed on you, is the tool that is going to be used to stop the threat, no matter if it's a car jacking, mugging, or just an assault by some lowlife. Just like Bernard Goetz and George Zimmerman, the gun in your pocket is the one that will be used. The rifle is a range toy or hunting tool. It does no good in the car trunk or pickup, but that compact 9mm or .380 or .38 special will be there. And it will be all over in a few seconds and a few shots at pretty close range. If you need a rifle, you haven't practiced enough with the handgun.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Well said. It is a matter of practicality and reality. Otherwise, we would each have a personal security detail armed with rifles.

And honestly, in a situation where proximity, or even physical contact (ie a struggle) is involved, a handgun may be an advantage. Do you keep a "LongTom" shotgun or a "Riot" shotgum by your bedroom? Why?

cb51

Feb 8, 2017
    Georgetown Tx.
    Well said. It is a matter of practicality and reality. Otherwise, we would each have a personal security detail armed with rifles.

And honestly, in a situation where proximity, or even physical contact (ie a struggle) is involved, a handgun may be an advantage. Do you keep a "LongTom" shotgun or a "Riot" shotgum by your bedroom? Why?

The fact that is very much true, about 50% of the street confrontation/assaults result in personal contact. Even when it doesn't, the range is so close that by the time you reach out pointing the gun the muzzle is only a few feet from the target. A struggle is very common in street muggings with the range being 'in your face.'

I've only been down here in Texas for two years now, but I spent most my life in and around Washington D.C. and grew up in a lower class neighborhood. Inner city. Violence was common, and people carried weapons, law or not. Usually a pocket size pistol of some sort. The criminals practice was to be walking the other way and suddenly step right over into your path with a knife or gun shoved against you and demand your wallet. So it was common practice to keep your gun in a pocket where you could slide a hand right into the pocket and have the gun right inland if things looked like it was going to happen. Situational awareness was important, and you kept track of people seeming to approach to close in a suspicious manner. After a while you got to recognize the behavior and took evasive action as a first step, with your hand on your gun in the pocket. A little .32, .380, .38, or even a Raven .25. They worked and had a good street rep.

Point is, things happened very close. Now from what I've seen when we go down in Austin, it's very similar. This BS about fighting your way to the rifle is pure hype to sell more rifles. By the time you fight your way to the rifle, it's all over but the funeral arrangements for someone. The criminal is to going to let you walk away once they've sized you up as their next meal ticket or drug money score. Whatever you carry is going to have to be used to put them down. If you can fit an AR in your pants pockets, so be it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'all take the experience I gained in Kekistan over the word of internet warriors.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    I’ve always considered the Colt Agent equipped with a Colt hammer shroud and Tyler T-Grip adapter to be the apex of snubby revolver development. The 642-1 from the S&W Performance Center may come in as a tie though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    f402383d4fae999e345555f85bb66bba.jpg

This came from the High Power & Handguns website. It shows the graceful lines of the Colt Agent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom