Military Camp

so a Walmart manager just came to my door.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    If you're referring to my initial post, I never said YOU let him into your house. I said "I" would not let him in my house. Ease up. No harm, no foul. I just thought it was a strange situation.

we're good man, I just wanted to clarify.
    just to be clear though...I'd let you in my house, heck in 3 minutes we'd be in my loading roon/ man cave telling lies to each other.
    DK Firearms

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Yeah, they messed up. I have had it happen to me too. On both sides of the counter.
    The absolute right thing to do probably was to report it. But then several people would have lost jobs and the buyer might lose the gun. At the very least. The reality is this.
    1: no, the phone is not required. But if there is a problem, it is easier than going to someones home. Which was done the right way.
    2: Most of the people that work at walmart sporting goods are NOT gun people. Managers included. All the training they get is a few computer based lessons that are in no way complete. The managers depend on me to keep their asses out of trouble and if it comes down to it, they will throw me to the wolves in a heartbeat.
    3: several years ago, the store I worked at the time had the ATF come in 5 minutes after I realized the A&D book was fubared. Missing years of forms, books missing, bad incomplete entries, you name it. I didn't even work in sporting goods at the time but was asked to do the instore audit for the ATF. Took 6 weeks to straighten shit out. One thing I found is this. No matter how much of a gun person or how skilled with the process. Buyer or seller. Even managers. ANYONE that touched more than 1 or 2 forms, and sometimes only 1 form, made a mistake. Even cops made mistakes and ommitted stuff.
    Of the last three forms I purchased on, I made a mistake on one. Put the right day and month, and for some reason put my birth year instead of 2016. Guess what. The guy doing the form and the guy that checked it both missed it too. The guy selling, a retired cop with years selling and doing the forms as well as being a CHL instructor.

Kudos for the way the manager handled it. The OP as well. This way, everybody wins.

from an idgit coffeeholic

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    His ass was in hot water. You helped him out and got $20 for doing what was right anyway. Wish I was that lucky.

As far as the manager committing a felony, I have no idea but that's on him, so who cares?

Mloot

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    When I bought my son's hunting rifle, a Ruger American .308 (a display model), the box they brought from the back was for a .30-06 model. So, when they scanned the barcode on the box, their inventory of what they had in stock vs what was sold was goofed up. I did not discover this until I tried to register the rifle with Ruger a couple of days later for warranty purposes. The numbers did not match up. The Walmart called me shortly after to ask me to come in to help them. I am not sure what the consequences would have been if I decided that it was not worth my time to help them out.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    They adjust the on hand counts and order a new box. And the manager that aproved it gets written up at the least. Could have been anyway. Coming into the store or going out, the serial numbers on the paperwork, box and firearm all have to match. No match, you don't accept or sell.

Well.....you are not supposed to anyway. We know how that goes.

cncfan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Houston
    If they are doing forms on a computer it would not take much effort to program the system to not accept a form that had missing or wrong info in any of the fields. Example : the date wrong, a capital where there should be a lower case, a alpha where a numeric should be. That way when the enter button was punched you would get an error message highlighting the wrong or missing info and the system would not accept the form until everything was complete and correct.

But we are talking about the Government so I am most likely asking for too much.

Last edited:

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I've got a buddy who had something similar happen a few years ago. Except he had given them his phone number so after a phone call they got the info they needed. He'll be upset at missing out on the gift card.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    The computer gives you a chance to go back and review and make corrections before you submit it. Some areas will prompt for incorrect or incomplete entries.
    Being government, it would not surprise me if they actually want mistakes made.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    The manager should have had a copy of the page the discrepancy was on, corrected the copy and placed it with the original 4473. Phone number would be store policy not BATFE's.

Do enough forms and you will miss something at some point. No one is perfect 100% of the time.

We had our yearly audit last week. Everything was in order.

Thank you vmax for helping him...

jmho...

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The local gun shop just had an audit of their records because they wanted to change the address of record for their business. It was very detailed and took several days.

The sellers are just trying to stay in compliance and I would have cooperated with him/her at their place of business. I would not admit them to my home. There's no need to be a jerk about it. It's just good business to work with them but not in my home!

I got a call from a vendor who told me that they goofed up on a 4473. I said that I was busy but that I'd swing by later in the week. That's what I did and everything went well.

Flash

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I had a shop mess up my 4473 for a gun purchase once. I didn't get no dang gift card. Lol

Sounds like you did good. I don't get why people get upset about the 4473. If you don't like em, don't purchase through stores.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    A good interaction. They screwed up, but took the effort to make things right. No sense in ANYBODY being in trouble with the feds. Chances are that they would blame both parties and it would take months - maybe years - to sort out a little flaw.

Top Bottom