• ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    No.

I'm only answering because , even though I suspect no one on TGT is this dim, I've actually run across people who think some positions at the IRS are paid on commission. Amazing, but true.

If they were you’d better bet your ass I’d be doing it.

I’d get filthy rich just by focusing on politicians and everybody with two degrees of separation or less from a pol.
    Venture Surplus ad

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    The democrats and the irs also want to look cool to youth and hipsters by allowing more bitcoin machines. A bitcoin machine is in Palmer. Freaking Palmer! We will see one of the final steps by getting rid of cash.

The democrats will also gain voters by offering universal basic income. You guys think things are bad now? Imagine how empty stores will be when people are given a loophole not to work.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    The democrats and the irs also want to look cool to youth and hipsters by allowing more bitcoin machines. A bitcoin machine is in Palmer. Freaking Palmer! We will see one of the final steps by getting rid of cash.

The democrats will also gain voters by offering universal basic income. You guys think things are bad now? Imagine how empty stores will be when people are given a loophole not to work.
    Just making the lazy and no-count welfare leeches even more so lazy and no-count.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    If they were you’d better bet your ass I’d be doing it.

I’d get filthy rich just by focusing on politicians and everybody with two degrees of separation or less from a pol.
    No, you wouldn't. Your supervisor would not let you go after them. If you persisted, you would be fired. No salary, no commission.

Texan79423

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 7, 2021
    Flatlands
    Imagine this. Where is the payroll coming from. DUH

Attachments

• irs.png
      irs.png
      261.1 KB · Views: 39

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've taken a step back and tried to logic my way through the news headlines about all this. Something didn't add up. There's no way the IRS can bring on 87,000 new employees in any of the core positions. They don't have the ability to train more than about 10,000 a year, at best. That 87,000 must include support staff and be spread over some years in the future.

So I did a little looking and found a couple of places (mostly the WSJ) with a bit more information. The money, $80B, is scheduled to be metered into the IRS over the next 9 years. The hiring will, presumably, take place over that same time period. This works out to about a 45% increase in yearly budget for the agency.

In 1995, the agency employed over 117K people. Since then, it's been very politically popular to beat up on the agency. Nothing fits into a stump speech better than "Kill the IRS!" As a result, by 2021, budget cuts had brought total agency employment down to just over 81K people.

Lessee...the economy has gotten bigger, the population has gotten bigger, everyone but especially tax cheats have gotten more sophisticated, etc., while we let the agency that's supposed to enforce tax law shrink by about 30% during a period when the GDP essentially tripled. Now some money is going back into the agency to do lots of things, including hiring 10s of 1000s of new people, all while many, many 1000s of current employees are retiring.

Nobody likes the IRS; I get that. But it looks to me like, even if this thing passes, the IRS will never in my lifetime be as strong as it was 25 or 30 years ago.

We all lived through that, didn't we?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I've taken a step back and tried to logic my way through the news headlines about all this. Something didn't add up. There's no way the IRS can bring on 87,000 new employees in any of the core positions. They don't have the ability to train more than about 10,000 a year, at best. That 87,000 must include support staff and be spread over some years in the future.

So I did a little looking and found a couple of places (mostly the WSJ) with a bit more information. The money, $80B, is scheduled to be metered into the IRS over the next 9 years. The hiring will, presumably, take place over that same time period. This works out to about a 45% increase in yearly budget for the agency.

In 1995, the agency employed over 117K people. Since then, it's been very politically popular to beat up on the agency. Nothing fits into a stump speech better than "Kill the IRS!" As a result, by 2021, budget cuts had brought total agency employment down to just over 81K people.

Lessee...the economy has gotten bigger, the population has gotten bigger, everyone but especially tax cheats have gotten more sophisticated, etc., while we let the agency that's supposed to enforce tax law shrink by about 30% during a period when the GDP essentially tripled. Now some money is going back into the agency to do lots of things, including hiring 10s of 1000s of new people, all while many, many 1000s of current employees are retiring.

Nobody likes the IRS; I get that. But it looks to me like, even if this thing passes, the IRS will never in my lifetime be as strong as it was 25 or 30 years ago.

And who said it should be that strong?

If they had to work as hard as the rest of us, they could get the job done with the staff they have.

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI

But that was prior to Lois Lerner and using the IRS for political harassment!

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    And who said it should be that strong?

If they had to work as hard as the rest of us, they could get the job done with the staff they have.

Philosophically, the IRS should be capable of processing, in a timely manner, every US tax return. That politicians create byzantine tax rules making that job infinitely more difficult, then demanding ‘do more with less’ is not the IRS’ fault.

Want a small IRS? Make a small tax code. Flat, across the board rate based on GAAP income rules. Get rid of credits and subsidies ad nauseum. Then you get a small IRS.

Top Bottom