Guns International

So being new to Houston (and TX), what stores/ranges do you guys recommend?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NewToTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Hey everyone.

Just wondering if there are any particular stores and ranges you guys/gals like over others. Do local shops price match Buds? I popped into Spring guns to browse the Ruger Mark III. Since this will be my first gun I figured that is a good start. The gentleman took it out the case to show me but within 2 min was showing me 9mm and 45's. To me it felt I was trying to be upsold to a pricier gun. Maybe that is the NY in me tho lol.

Thanks guys.
    Texas SOT

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Most of the stores will treat you pretty decently. You will hear bad things about Carters Country. Believe what you hear. Sooner or later, they will make you mad.

I've never seen a store match anyone else intentionally. I have seen that happen at gun shows, but the they're not as competitive as they used to be.

Spring guns generally gets positive reviews around here.

MRGlockMan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2013
    I've been to spring guns and ammo, shiloh, and athena gun club. All good ranges so far no issues. I can vouch for tomball pawn too. They have good prices compared to many price gouging lgs/pawn shops in houston.

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    Screw indoor ranges. I'm a big fan of American Shooting Center off Hwy 6 & Westheimer. Haven't been out there in neary two years, so things could have changed, but I doubt it.

Not much sucks more than someone shooting an AR 3 feet away at ear level. Indoors. Ugh.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    American Shooting Centers is my go to for rifle shoots and some pistol. I occasionally go to Full Armor off of I-10 if I am in the hood.

Sent from a B-52 flying over Russia.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    American Shooting Centers (ASC) used to be my go-to range until I started shooting small-bore silhouette and got into Bayou Rifles (BRI), which is a private club.

It really depends on what side of town you live on and what kind of shooting you want to do.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    I'm assuming you are in the Northern section of Houston?

Up north, I like Shiloh Shooting Range for an indoor range. Small, but friendly folks, and they have an outdoor archery range. I've heard good things about the range at Gander Mountain in Spring. Never been to the Spring Guns & Ammo (SGA) range as I am not a fan of the store staff. I have yet to find an outdoor range outside of Hicksville that I remotely like.

West, Athena Gun Club is nice, but they are proud ($$$) of their facility. South, I like Marksman Indoor Range. If you don't mind things like breathing copious amounts of lead dust, Pasadena Gun Center isn't bad.

American Shooting Centers (ASC) used to be my go-to range until I started shooting small-bore silhouette and got into Bayou Rifles (BRI), which is a private club.

How many years were you on the waiting list?

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    How many years were you on the waiting list?

The waiting list was closed (as it is now) but I heard they were going to open up the waiting list at the beginning of the year. They made the announcement in February that they would open the waiting list on a particular day at 8pm. I made sure I was on my computer by 7:45pm with the webpage loaded and as soon as it opened I signed up. (I was told the waiting list was filled in less than 30 minutes.)

I got the notice that I was accepted a few days after that, officially joined in early March. So technically I was on the waiting list for only a few days, but I got lucky. My understanding is they may open the waiting list again early next year.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    It was different a few years ago. You emailed them and got on the list and just waited for a phone call or email. It took me about a year for Bayou. About 2 years for PSC. I go to PSC for pistol stuff and do my long range rifle stuff at Bayou.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress

It really depends on what side of town you live on and what kind of shooting you want to do.
    Meh...they'll let anybody in there

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I popped into Spring guns to browse the Ruger Mark III. Since this will be my first gun I figured that is a good start.
    If you live in a neighborhood where it's convenient to "pop into" Spring G&A and you're in the market for a first pistol then I have lots of stuff for you to shoot and get a feel for what's out there. As an instructor, working with new-to-firearms folks is fun for me. BTW - this isn't an ad; the guns, ammo, and targets are on me. Just pay your range fee and I'll be happy to help you get off on the right foot.

Feel free to PM me when your post count rises to the level that allows you to use that feature of the board.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    SGA treated me well when I dropped in to try out my new to me px4. I rented a 92fs as well and bought the mandatory box of ammo.
    Then it went bad: the sammichmaker was ringing my phone, I couldn't hit diddlysquat with my new gun but I loved that 92!
    i had to leave after firing less than half a box but the lady that set it all up felt bad for me and only charged me for the ammo!
    the range was good but it was a comfortable day outside so I don't know how the heat/ac is when needed but it was vented well, for me.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Tomball Pawn is great. They were my default transfer point until 10Ring got an ffl but I may be goin back if things keep moving the way they look to be heading: new manager, seems intent on keeping the employees busy, like he was paying them out of his own pocket.

XD40inTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    Screw indoor ranges. I'm a big fan of American Shooting Center off Hwy 6 & Westheimer. Haven't been out there in neary two years, so things could have changed, but I doubt it.

Not much sucks more than someone shooting an AR 3 feet away at ear level. Indoors. Ugh.

That's not a problem at Full Armor on I-10.

Top Bottom