Military Camp

So being new to Houston (and TX), what stores/ranges do you guys recommend?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tripham

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2016
    Hi, if you get around the Katy area, I really recommend stopping by Katy Gun Gear and Boyert shooting range. Really good people at both places. Katy gun gear has got great prices on guns. Their selection is a little limited but they can order if need be. Hope this helps.
    Texas SOT

Fritz609

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2016
    H-Town
    I'm only fairly new to Houston and my regular spot is Athena Gun Club. I get LE discount so it's cheap for me. I buy my firearms through them due to their lifetime warranty policy on all guns. It makes the sometimes higher price worth the difference for guns that only have 1 year warranties. It's more like a spa than a range and they have separate long gun range from handgun range. I did have one issue with "know it all" staff member there regarding a malfunctioning Sig. Other than that, cool staff.

Last edited:

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    I'm only fairly new to Houston and my regular spot is Athena Gun Club. I get LE discount so it's cheap for me. I buy my firearms through them due to their lifetime warranty policy on all guns. It makes the sometimes higher price worth the difference for guns that only have 1 year warranties. It's more like a spa than a range and they have separate long gun range from handgun range. I did have one issue with "know it all" staff member there regarding a malfunctioning Sig. Other than that, cool staff.
    Never been shooting at Athena. Browsed there a bunch, but never purchased or shot there.

How long is their indoor rifle range?

Sent from a B-52 flying over Russia.

Fritz609

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2016
    H-Town
    Haven't signed on in a while. Not sure as I've never shot long guns there. I'd give em' a quick call to find out. Can't be too long since the place isn't big enough for 100+ yards

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    SG&A also has a great gunsmith(s).
    They're good at what they're good at. My respect went up for them when they refused to do a job for me saying the work had a high probability of damaging the barrel and they wouldn't touch it. Most places would have done the (conceptually, very simple) job and then, if the chamber got screwed up, would have blamed me for causing the problem.

BTW - I did cause the problem. I told them I realized that and would hold them harmless for any damage. They still turned it down. It seemed to be more motivated by "We can't bring ourselves to screw up a gun" more than "We don't want you to sue us for ruining your gun" thing. I can respect that attitude.

NewToTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2015
    Houston, TX
    If you live in a neighborhood where it's convenient to "pop into" Spring G&A and you're in the market for a first pistol then I have lots of stuff for you to shoot and get a feel for what's out there. As an instructor, working with new-to-firearms folks is fun for me. BTW - this isn't an ad; the guns, ammo, and targets are on me. Just pay your range fee and I'll be happy to help you get off on the right foot.

Feel free to PM me when your post count rises to the level that allows you to use that feature of the board.

Wow thanks for the offer. Sorry for the late reply. Been super busy with work and life. Friend and I went to the new SGA woodlands store/range this past weekend and had some fun. The gentleman working was super nice and gave me some pointers (totaly new to the gun world) since my firing was, well, not accurate lol.

I'll surely take you up on the offer if it is still valid after tax season :)

*edit* I forgot to tell you what we shot: XDS 9, XDS 45, and HK VP9.

My main issue is trying to "fight" the recoil before I fire. Many of my shots were low b/c am pushing w/o even realizing I'm doing it. Time to start practicing more.

Last edited:

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    For gun ranges in Houston I love Spring Guns and Ammo as the service is great and range is awesome. For outdoor ranges I also concur on American Shooting Center. Carters is allright for their ranges. Hot Wells in 290 area also is good with my as well. For down south Best Shot range in friendswood is cool. The only range I will avoid is Thunder Gun range as the owner is weird and his operation sucks.

Steelhat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    For outdoor shooting we go to Hot Wells off of 290 and Skynner. Can't beat $10 per gun no matter how long you stay. Indoors we went to Memorial Shooting Center on Witte Rd, Athena for their events (S&W day, HK day) and Boyert Shooting Center on Westheimer.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    Welcome! As far as gun stores I stick with Lone Star Defense & Arms. They are family owned and ran and the owners are great people. For shooting I visit Hot Wells, American and mainly Top Gun. I have never bought a gun from them, but they are very friendly.

http://www.defenseandarms.com/

Top Bottom