Venture Surplus ad

So can my 19 year old daughter carry a pistol in her car, and on her person now?..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I have my doubts that any cop would bust a young female adult for carrying a firearm unless she got mixed up in some other offense. They might take it away from her if a situation occurred where they found out she has one, but to arrest for possession of one I find that unlikely. Regardless of what the law is, the benefit of self protection (when it matter most) out weights the risk.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I’m not an attorney so I will state what I think is correct.

An 18 year old is allowed to own a pistol. They cannot purchase one but could be gifted one by someone like their father. I would think the castle law would cover the 18 year while transporting a handgun in their car.
    Castle doctrine really only applies to your home and while you do have a court recognized significant level of privacy in your own vehicle, it isn't your castle, .

The court ruled for the
    Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    That is 100 percent, exactly my understanding. She's owned several guns since 7 and I left it up to her whether or not she wants to carry her pistol in her car, but I obviously told her I condone it and would if I were her. The EPPD guys I've talked to have all said they'd arrest her. I mentioned everything you typed and they did not care. Well, she's 19 and can make her own decisions so I'm not worried about it, mainly because I'd rather see her in jail than in a box after being found raped and murdered. Thanks for the post.
    Eppd being El Paso PD? They can say what they want, but the law is now a settled matter as far as I am concerned. PDs and officers that get off fucking people over for gun possession laws can choke on a big one.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I have my doubts that any cop would bust a young female adult for carrying a firearm unless she got mixed up in some other offense. They might take it away from her if a situation occurred where they found out she has one, but to arrest for possession of one I find that unlikely. Regardless of what the law is, the benefit of self protection (when it matter most) out weights the risk.

I wouldn't test that theory in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio or Austin. If the cop is unfamiliar with the law (which is common) and isn't keeping up with news regarding Second Amendment matters (which is even more common), then she'll get a ride in the back of a police car. If it happens somewhere more rural, or maybe in Fort Worth, she's got a better chance.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That is 100 percent, exactly my understanding. She's owned several guns since 7 and I left it up to her whether or not she wants to carry her pistol in her car, but I obviously told her I condone it and would if I were her. The EPPD guys I've talked to have all said they'd arrest her. I mentioned everything you typed and they did not care. Well, she's 19 and can make her own decisions so I'm not worried about it, mainly because I'd rather see her in jail than in a box after being found raped and murdered. Thanks for the post.
    >
    Several years back in N.O. there was a real problem of officers “confiscating” handguns from non-criminal citizens, and keeping the guns personally.

Ths problem wound-up in the local US Federal Court and a Judge issued two separate court orders to stop it.

But the P D wouldn’t stop. When the Judge questioned the offending officers, several told him that their “watch commanders” kept ordering them to confiscate guns from everyone.

I had friends on the DA’s prosecuting staff. Last I heard, Judge Barbier had the various “watch commanders” assembled in his courtroom and told them that if it happeed one more time they, the “commanders”, would be going to jail, not the patrol officers.

I’m not familiar with the police command structure, but it sounded to me that the “commanders” were sort of assistant-assistant Chief’s. In any event, the practice seemed to stop there.

If the police are to enforce a “law”, shouldn’t there be an actual codified LAW justifying it ?

For years, in Texas, we were told that the “exemptions” for certain pistol carry were “case-law” from Judges’ prior rulings modifying the law. But, they were not in the actual law.

The Texas Legislatures have a long history of passing unconstitutional and/or contradictory “laws” which could not be enforced.

Instead of asking gun shops, instructors, or fellow TGT’ers, couldn’t someone here find and post the actual law?

leVieux

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    >

We have all heard horror stories in both directions.

I’d tend to fall-back on the old “I’d rather be judged than carried” meme.

Most of our current Officers IN SOUTHERN & WESTERN States seem very reasonable.

Except CA, of course.

Our Society must resolve this clearly, in line with “SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED”.

No-one’s “opinion” or civil “emergency” should ever be allowed to over-ride our clearly specified Constitutional RIGHTS. Indeed, that is the very purpose of them being specifically enumerated in our Constitution !

leVieux

Steve In Texas

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2023
    Austin, Texas
    For the OP, your daughter may revisit this now after the statement of the TX DPS of the last few days as discussed in these two threads:

and

My kids in the same age range have been following this since the initial decision and are doing their homework.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Texas safety officials stop enforcing handgun age limits for young adults.

The Texas Department of Public Safety is no longer enforcing a state law that bars adults under 21 from carrying handguns in public.

The change was announced in a Jan. 10 memo sent to DPS officers.

It comes after a federal judge declared the age limits unconstitutional, and the state gave up defending the handgun law without any explanation... (full article at link)

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Look it up on Texas LTC info.

If I recall correctly, (and I'm paraphrasing) a person 18 or over, but not yet 21, having a restraining/protective type order against a threatening person, can get an LTC.

My explanation is a bit muddled, but when you look it up you'll see the more specific info.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Look it up on Texas LTC info.

If I recall correctly, (and I'm paraphrasing) a person 18 or over, but not yet 21, having a restraining/protective type order against a threatening person, can get an LTC.

My explanation is a bit muddled, but when you look it up you'll see the more specific info.
    Am I reading their FAQ wrong? It seems to me that they don't need any other paperwork. Being 18 seems to suffice now. Again, per DPS.

A federal district court has ruled the Department can no longer apply the License to Carry statutory eligibility criteria that prohibit otherwise eligible 18-to-20 year-olds from obtaining the license. Firearms Policy Coalition, Inc. et. al., v. Steven McCraw, et. al., No. 4:21-cv-1245-P. The Department will therefore no longer deny applications solely on the basis that the applicants are 18-to-20 years old.

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    Yes it seems to say that. I was asking because the text can still be interpreted to prohibit or fail to grant approval 'solely on the basis' age by the license 'class' providers. I was told by a couple of ranges where the classes were taught that regardless of the 'law' they stated they would not be accepting anyone under 21.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I was told by a couple of ranges where the classes were taught that regardless of the 'law' they stated they would not be accepting anyone under 21.

Please post the names of those ranges, as I would be more than happy to spend my money at other ones that respect the law and the rights of legal and law-abiding adults who want to bear arms!

Please also feel free to share my comments with them, maybe if enough people do so they will remove their craniums from their anal orifices and realize how idiotic such a policy is, and how much business they're going to lose for their ignorance!

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    Carter's Country a definite no, and I called one in Klein that wasn't sure and Thunder said "not presently".

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom