Join TexasGunTalk

So how much does a good bike really cost?

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by vmax, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Tex62

Tex62 Member

Jan 21, 2014
    The biggest thing with the seat is to make sure you are fitted to the bike. Seat height should allow for a slight bend of the knee at the bottom of the stroke with no extension of your ankle. The seat should be level. Fore and aft adjustment should allow your "sit" bones to be comfortable against where the seat flares from the nose.

Yeah, I a bike geek...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

2. 2W2X1

2W2X1 New Member

Sep 6, 2017
    North SA
    More saddle time will train your ass and break you in. The seat isn't what needs breaking in. I get beyond sore after the 50 mile mark now. Used to be anything over 5 miles. :D

3. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    50 miles? Yikes! I am doing 20 and am pretty done by then.

4. 2W2X1

2W2X1 New Member

Sep 6, 2017
    North SA
    I have been riding and fund raising for American Diabetes Association - Tour de Cure for 8 years. Honestly I don't seek out a 50+ ride for fun. But I do enjoy a good weekend ride with my 9 year old.

txinvestigator likes this.
  5. vmax

vmax TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 15, 2013
    The bike is kicking my butt and I love it.
    I have rode it every day at least 30 minutes.
    Yesterday I had it out at my ranch where the road it up and down, with a 230 feet rise in elevation in about a mile. That was a tough ride, but thats what I bought it for.
    My hind end is getting used to the saddle very quick it seems

The wife got jealous so we went back to the bike shop saturday and bought her a Trek women's mountain bike. The dealer gave me 10 percent off on her bike, hes a good guy

6. spill

spill New Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Cedar Park
    Bought my first mountain bike the day after I quit smoking cold turkey in 2005 and never looked back. Being able to breathe again is really pretty cool. Bought a specialized for my first too. You chose wisely.

One piece of required equipment that you should get would be some good padded shorts. The size of these seats makes for a very high pressure area on the plumbing running under you butt bones. You really don't want to ride in plain non padded shorts on that area for longer rides. Obviously you don't need to wear sausage casings like the roadie guys... lots of off-road shorts come with detachable padded insides, too.

I ride 20 mile routes on the weekends. Just passed 7100 miles on my current bike I bought in 2010. It's a great "habit" to have.

vmax likes this.
  7. vmax

Apr 15, 2013
    What the hell is a sausage casing?

8. TxStetson

TxStetson Usually Here TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

The skin around a sausage.

9. kirk10100

kirk10100 Active Member

Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    Most of these bikes come with a very narrow bike seat. I never got used to them even with padded shorts. I went to Walmart mart and got a really wide seat. Looks a little funny and adds some weight to the bike but it's saved my rump from hurting after a long ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. vmax

Apr 15, 2013
    so you go to HEB and buy natual hog intestine casings for stuffing sausage and use them how when biking?
    (still fishing for serious answer)