• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    In my dealings with Academy, their salespeople have always been courteous. They seem to interject, only when questioned about a specific item. If your looking for invaluable information on the selection and usage of a firearm, it is better to look elsewhere. Anyone becomes callous dealing with the morons that come in and are "know it alls" or ignorant and misinformed.

Academy has good prices, and the sales are worthwhile. I recommend that you fully research any purchase in a forum, or professional review, prior to making a selection. Making an uninformed decision at the sales counter, will get you less than you probably wanted...
    ARJ Defense ad

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    This may be a little off subject, but I was at Pruett's gun store when a customer called back and wanted refund because the ammo he had just bought was $20 cheaper at Gander mountain. I have never seen a gun store that refunded ammo, heck I am not sure it is even legal. After talking to the clerks, he asked to talk to a manager. I could not help but overhear them since the phone was on the counter. Jim picked up the phone and called his story bull$hit, and told them there will be no refund.

Personally I like someone that is not afraid to tell the customer they are wrong, when they are. Jim is a standup guy, and does not have to conform to anyones policy. If he does you wrong, he will make it right. But playing the price matching game with ammo after you bought it, is not right.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Personally I like someone that is not afraid to tell the customer they are wrong, when they are. Jim is a standup guy, and does not have to conform to anyones policy. If he does you wrong, he will make it right. But playing the price matching game with ammo after you bought it, is not right.

Some people downright act like children when it comes to retail. Sometimes you have to treat them like children as well.

Scott_F

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    CSTX
    I was talking with an employee at our local Wally World that said some of the guys that had been buying up and hoarding ammo were calling wanting to return it or sell it back to WM. They can't do that and have the no returns policy clearly spelled out on signs. He was laughing in that we figured the ammo shortage will soon be a moot point as the hoarders have probably run out of surplus cash.

That said, local WM has plenty of Federal 9mm at 8.98 a box. Too bad there was no 45.

DRod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    I was talking with an employee at our local Wally World that said some of the guys that had been buying up and hoarding ammo were calling wanting to return it or sell it back to WM. They can't do that and have the no returns policy clearly spelled out on signs. He was laughing in that we figured the ammo shortage will soon be a moot point as the hoarders have probably run out of surplus cash.

That said, local WM has plenty of Federal 9mm at 8.98 a box. Too bad there was no 45.

Same here. 9mm and 44, but zero .45. :(

Maxpower

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009

go to gunbroker and look at all the hoarders now trying to sell all their over priced ammo

ebk06

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Austin
    Just wait until they have to sell all that ammo at below retail. My cash is sitting here waiting for that day to arrive.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I wish I could correct everyone when they are wrong and I know they are wrong. I keep an open mind, and since I don't know everything I'm always open to other points of view. That being said, there are plenty of people I've dealt with that were just absolutely, unequivocally wrong about something and just not willing to listen to the truth. I've tried to reason with some of these people but, unfortunately sometimes you just have to let it go. Some people just won't listen, and if you keep pushing it they will go overboard and create trouble for you, disrupt other customers, etc.

Texas Solo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    I wish I could correct everyone when they are wrong and I know they are wrong. I keep an open mind, and since I don't know everything I'm always open to other points of view. That being said, there are plenty of people I've dealt with that were just absolutely, unequivocally wrong about something and just not willing to listen to the truth. I've tried to reason with some of these people but, unfortunately sometimes you just have to let it go. Some people just won't listen, and if you keep pushing it they will go overboard and create trouble for you, disrupt other customers, etc.

Been there, done that!

How many times have you heard "my friend said..." or " I read on the internet that...."
    How about "Glocks are unsafe, they don't have a safety", or "Glocks shoot underwater", or my old favorite "Glocks go through metal detectors".
    Believe it or not, I still hear that crap. I've finally learned to ignore the mall ninjas, there's no educating them.

CZLover

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Austin
    I've had good experiences at Academy. McBride's in Austin is my favorite shop. There are some salesmen that I excuse myself from because they have have alot of attitude. But most of the employees there are the most knowledgable I've experienced.

But Academy is closest to where I work, and I go there and look at lucnh. I there are idiots in every line of work.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    I try not to listen to conversations at the counters in Academy or Gander Mountain. The amount of BS flying emmulates that of the Senate chamber! LOL Seriously...sometimes it will make your head hurt.

I love it when someone half my age is goign on about how a certain pistol I have owned for 15 years and has been totally trouble free is total junk. Yeah kid...whatever. Just hand me the boxes of ammo and I'll let you get back to your BS-shoveling...ok?

- brickboy240

Srben

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    Houston
    If you want to buy from a knowledgeable salesman at Academy, go see Kim at the 59 and Shepherd store; he's a great guy and knows his guns.

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    Ok, I'll weigh in on this one. No matter which shop, or retail store you go into , a novice gun buyer assumes that a salesman has a certain amount of credibility because he / she works there. It's sad really, but a novice has no choice but to believe what they here unless they do plenty of research ahead of time.

I heard a salesman at a local shop tell a buddy of mine that you don't need to clean a Glock, that he personally had 10,000 rounds through his without cleaning it. Ok, maybe, but at current prices that's about $3000 worth of ammo for a guy that may be 22 years old and maybe had his gun...if he has one...for a year legally. Smacks of BS to me.

Now, wanna hear the REAL scary part. He was in Austin for the CHL instructor's course when I was there. Kinda makes me feel like my instructor certificate is just another piece of paper.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Seabear, you can own a handgun, legally, before 21, but yes, that story does sound a bit fishy.

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    A person must be 21 years of age to purchase a handgun or handgun ammunition, and 18 years of age to buy a rifle or shotgun or ammunition, from a retail firearm dealer. (GCA, 1968)
    In Texas active military 18 and up can get a CHL, but they still have to follow federal law on purchasing.

Maybe I am spliitting hairs.

My main point is/was that it would be nice if some of these salespeople could live up or try to live up to the "credibilty" that novices give them.

I used to be a commisioned salesman, and I made it my responsibility to know everything I could about what I was selling. But then that's just me. I'm kinda warped that way. *grin*

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    maybe 2 or so years back, at the Academy in Midland, they has some MOrons workin there, but now theyve got some real knowledgeable people there.

jsbcats

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Kingwood
    I started talking to a guy in Academy Friday who was looking for his first gun and was totally confused. The guy at the counter was being nice, but was not very helpful, mainly just pointing out the most popular "and expensive" guns. I finally told him to come to this site and read about the different types of handguns and peoples experiences. Propably cost them a sale that day, but I feel sorry for some of the new gun buyers at some of these places. I'm not knocking Academy, because I've spent plenty in there, I just usually go in there knowing what I want.

boycan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    North Dallas
    I was in Academy Friday and only asking about Mossberg 500's and Remington 870's and the guy working there had to go thru the tags to tell which ones they were? AND I WAS POINTING AT THEM! ;-/

Top Bottom