DK Firearms

So, I'm at Dick's Sporting Goods Today.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    So, I'm at Dick's Sporting Goods Today. My kids wanted to go check some stuff out, so I took them. Of course, they know I will allow them to buy stuff from there, but I will not spend a penny there.

I go peruse the gun counter and the fella asks if he can help me.

I say "Still not selling ARs."
    He says no.
    I say "Think you'll ever start selling them again."
    He says no.
    I say "That's a shame."
    He says something really close to "Yeah. We just don't have the manpower to sell them."

I walk away. As I'm walking away, I'm thinking about what he said and how stupid it sounded. I really want to walk back and ask him exactly how what he said makes any sense or if that's just what he's come up with to tell people to avoid saying I work for a trash-store that craved to political pressure.

I suppose it is possible that they'd need another person to work the counter to sell all those ARs. And of course, hiring additional people because something sells a lot is a bad thing for a retail store....

Thought this was funny - hell of a bad scheme for marketing.
    Gun Zone Deals

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    Don't make much sense to me. the ar is a legal gun. and they are in the business of selling guns . Cant remember the last night i was in one of their stores .

qwiksdraw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Sachse, TX
    First of all, remember you weren't talking to a decision maker at Dick's and he probably gave the best answer he could think of. Maybe you can cut that guy a little slack.

Although Dick's did seem to back off from political pressure, it appears they have focused on hunting rifles and want to be seen as a hunting goods store. One kudo I have to give them is when they had ammo over the past year, their prices for handgun ammo stayed the same. I found ammo there when other stores didn't have any and paid good prices.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Most "sporting goods" places are really clothing/shoe stores that happen to sell sporting goods. There's a huge markup on rags sewn together by children in some Third World sweat shop and marked up with a popular logo. It's much easier money than selling and supporting firearms. But having some firearms and ammo gets people in the door to buy all the high profit stuff.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    shouldnt have been there in the first place..

next time take your money were you're respected, and not given some stupid dribble for responses

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    Most "sporting goods" places are really clothing/shoe stores that happen to sell sporting goods. There's a huge markup on rags sewn together by children in some Third World sweat shop and marked up with a popular logo. It's much easier money than selling and supporting firearms. But having some firearms and ammo gets people in the door to buy all the high profit stuff.

this

i kind of get their policy/stance

i tend to compare the gun counter at a place like cabelas - which is crazy busy - with what the business could be at a place like dicks - much smaller and limited inventory - i think they primarily want to sell sporting equipment, shoes, golf clubs, etc

the hunting stuff, etc - is not their primary focus - its almost an after thought

when i need golf stuff or a good pair of running shoes - i'll buy from Dicks without a thought...i get my gun stuff elsewhere

some businesses just arent equipped to handle everything that goes with the firearms market

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    Dicks is scheduled to open a store in corpus christi this Friday....one day before deer season opens...I would say thats kinda late to sell to hunters...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    duck hunting is in december/january......turkey in the spring

i doubt they gave much consideration to deer season when they scheduled their store opening

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I am amazed at the attitudes here. Wanting to control others, demand businesses behave a certain way.

The judgmental attitudes about other people, like a guy trying to make a living working at a sporting goods store.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I am amazed at the attitudes here. Wanting to control others, demand businesses behave a certain way.

The judgmental attitudes about other people, like a guy trying to make a living working at a sporting goods store.

"judgmental attitudes" ?? You mean when people make judgments about others based on how they were treated? Isn't that what most of us do on a daily basis? You're not being judgmental are you? :facepalm:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Outside of clothes, Dicks is a pretty weak store. I am not just talking about guns, but camping, tennis, baseball, golf, etc. The selections for these items is just weak.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Outside of clothes, Dicks is a pretty weak store. I am not just talking about guns, but camping, tennis, baseball, golf, etc. The selections for these items is just weak.

This right here.
    Dick's is lame. REI has better outdoor gear.
    Their gun/ammo dept is lamer than Academy.
    I fo in every so often but never buy anything.

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013

I agree, never been to one that I liked because most lack product.Looked to have a decent amount of golf stuff but idk because I don't golf so maybe its weak to lol

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    First of all, remember you weren't talking to a decision maker at Dick's and he probably gave the best answer he could think of. Maybe you can cut that guy a little slack.

Although Dick's did seem to back off from political pressure, it appears they have focused on hunting rifles and want to be seen as a hunting goods store. One kudo I have to give them is when they had ammo over the past year, their prices for handgun ammo stayed the same. I found ammo there when other stores didn't have any and paid good prices.

Very true.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Dicks shoes and team sports departments are hard to beat. I buy stuff when they have what I want at a good price.

Never bought hunting stuff. But did buy a Black Friday gun safe for $400.

You guys are trying to put them in the CTD category, and I don't think they belong there.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom