• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    There I said it, I have not drank the kool-aid and my recent purchase of my Glock 19 does not excite me. I talked myself into believing I wanted it, nay needed it but was simply lying to myself. I sold the only other glock I've ever owned (G23) a few years ago and never regretted it. So now here I am with a NIB unfired G19 that does utterly nothing for me. The good news is I talked to my local shop about it and they will take it back on trade for 90% of my original purchase price. So I plan on doing that tomorrow hopefully.

My thoughts are that I will trade it on a 1911 (he has some used ones he says are real nice) or maybe another Sig. So what say you? Am I crazy or doing the right thing?

Discuss.
    Gun Zone Deals

lunchbox

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    You are neither crazy nor doing the right thing. It just is.

I don't prefer Glocks and don't own one. I suggest them for others often though.

i agree i wont buy a glock but i sold tons of them to satisfied customers they just are not for me im an XDm guy

jimmy-buffett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    I've always thought of Glocks as being right above that price point where you are spending enough money on a handgun to have it be reliable. They make great police service weapons and are the insta-matic camera of the gun world - just point and shoot.

My three main gripes are the lack of an external safety lever, the lack of a usable slide release (it's too flat, it should stick out like a H&K USP) and that the triggers feel like mush. I'll pay the price premium for a H&K over a Glock any day of the week, because the trigger is crisp and the controls are easy to use.

And then there's the fact that you could hand a loaded Glock to a 3 year old and they could fire it. To this day I still smile and hand my P7 to new people and say "see if you can get it to fire".

87'vette

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    Glocks Rock!

I own a few glocks and love them.

Jimmy.. why would you hand ANY firearm to a 3 year old??

or...

Give your gun to someone to see if they can fire it??

I'm not trying to convert anyone, I just think Glocks are examples of superior engineering and practical simplicity. Hey, afer all Glock came first, the rest are imitators! ;)

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    You only gotta please yourself. Buy and shoot what you like. To hell with the rest of us. One warning, 1911 fever cost a fortune and there is no cure!

tju1973

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    McKinney Texas
    Just get what you are happy with-- I almost bought a Glock 36 when I decided on an XD45-- I still think Glocks are great guns, just not for everyone-- nor are XDs for everyone either---

Glocks are proven, great guns-- just not one I want--

(watch me get a Glock this weekend...)

;)

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    You only gotta please yourself. Buy and shoot what you like. To hell with the rest of us. One warning, 1911 fever cost a fortune and there is no cure!

Oh yeah, I know about the 1911 addiction and the Sig addiction as well and it won't be my first or last of either one whichever way I decide to go.

jimmy-buffett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Jimmy.. why would you hand ANY firearm to a 3 year old??

or...

Give your gun to someone to see if they can fire it??

I was trying to make a point that anyone can grab a Glock and fire it. While that may be a positive to some people, I wonder how many cops are shot with their own service weapons that would not have been shot if they had been carrying a gun with a simple external mechanical safety lever. It takes half a second to flip a safety off if you have been trained on that weapon.

The P7 is the other extreme of that. You squeeze it to cock it and release it to uncock it. My particular pistol was carried by West German police and this feature was a big plus for them, in case they ever lost control of the gun. Losing control of your weapon is not ideal, and you train to avoid this situation, but in the real world that kind of thing happens. If the person who grabbed it doesn't know how to fire it, you don't get shot.

Here's a video about the P7 if you are unfamiliar with it:

HK P7 series promo.mpg

Glocks are great guns for the price, but for $100-150 more you can get a USP, which has a much better trigger, friendlier controls and are a little safer to store if somebody else gets their hands on it.

txtrooper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Glocks do nothing for me, neither do the HK pistols. I have purchased and shot many Glocks and HKs and I just can not get into them. I carry a Sig 226 in 357 Sig and would bet my life and yours that it will function every time. I also keep a P220, as it is a retired service pistol, prior to the issue of the 226. As for what I like, the 1911’s are my true love and I like the fact that they can be modified to suite your desire. I like the options in make and dress that the 1911 has to offer. Whatever you do, I do not think you an go wrong with either a Sig or any reputable 1911.

jimmy-buffett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    damn you now i simply must have one of those

The P7M8 (US version of the P7) is crazy expensive, like $1300+. On the H&K boards you can usually pick out the die-hard fans as the ones who paid retail for one of these (and/or a Mark 23).

The week that I got my UMP conversion back I took it to the range and the guy in the next lane had one. Well he looked at my UMP for a bit and I looked at his P7M8 for a bit and then we exchanged guns for a little bit. It was a fantastic pistol, the trigger pull is amazing, and it handles recoil very well because the barrel is a bit lower in the frame than most handguns. Plus, it felt like a solid piece of metal, not like a lot of these polymer guns do these days.

But $1300 for a factory pistol, are you nuts? Well not a month later H&K announced that they were taking trade-in's from European police forces for P7's, cleaning them up and selling them on the US market for about half of what the P7M8 goes for. The P7 is 95% the same gun as the P7M8, and for half the price I jumped all over it.

Look for a Grade A (there are 3 grades from H&K, A-C) trade-in P7 on Gunbroker, you should be able to get one for $700 or less. They are amazing pistols for the price, my P7 is my concealed carry piece.

Dog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Central TX
    would also like to point out that with the P7 you can with a simple twist remove the striker assembly rendering the P7 inoperable. NO LOCK NEEDED FOR THAT PUPPY!! The assembly goes in your pocket and the grandkids on your lap.
    I dont own one but a friend does, its a very smart purchase.
    CDNN , right now has great deals on different models on this excellent piece.

also consider the XD's, if you look at Glock, look at XD.

Top Bottom