• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    And Google is failing horribly when I try to look up information about it.

Scope is an old Redfield Frontier model, fixed 4x magnification. I'm trying to find the adjustment range and "click" value (it has friction turrets, each one surrounded by 36 small lines that I assume are supposed to line up with the big line on the turret's top part) so I can figure out what rifle would be best to mount it on (used to be on dad's Remington 700, still have the old "swing-over" Redfield mount from that).

Does anyone know anything that could help me out here?
    DK Firearms

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    When in doubt, the absolute best thing I've found when dealing with a scope I'm either not sure about, suspect might be working incorrectly, or I don't know what adjustment range it has, is this. Bench rest the gun and have the stock rested as well, so that you are taking as much of the human out of the equation. Get whatever equipment you need, to adjust the scope, in place and easy to reach. Fire your first shot at whatever distance you plan to sight it in with, or start off much closer if you need to ensure it's on paper first.

Maintain your cheek weld! Sit there and fire your shots, making adjustments as necessary, and maintain your cheek weld so you can watch the reticle. Ideally, with a properly functioning scope, you fire a shot, see it's off, adjust as necessary while watching through the scope, and the reticle is adjusted right to your last POI. This can tell you a LOT about what's going on with your scope. With cheapo scopes, you might see the reticle adjust precisely to your last POI, so it appears all set, and then it's still shooting off due to poor quality turrets and a poor quality scope incapable of maintaining a zero. Sometimes you'll see the reticle simply not move if a turret is locked up. As with most other things, checking your work through your "sights" will tell you most of what you need to know.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I can't help with the values, but IMO, that has a lot less to do with what rifle to put it on than the magnification does. And, I'd want to put it on a "period correct" rifle, i.e., from the late 60's to early 70's, and would use the swing mount.....just to be sentimental. ;-)

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    The swing mount is specifically for the Remington 700, so unfortunately that's out of the question (dad gave the barreled action to "a friend" to get it fixed a few years ago, hasn't seen it since). And sadly, the scope itself doesn't have enough eye relief to be comfortable on most of my rifles. That's probably an issue with me though, and for another thread.

Believe me, TXSUT. If I had a period rifle, I'd mount the scope on that in a heartbeat. But I don't, so for now I'm working with what I've got (pair of .22s and a newer .270).

@ Travis: I've tried a similar bench technique in the past, had pretty good luck with it (though I fire 3 or 5-shot groups rather than a single shot). Might try it with this Redfield over the weekend if I can make up my mind what to mount it on.

ETA: Already have a laser bore-sighter, one of the muzzle-insert ones from Cabela's. It doesn't work worth **** unless it's dark out, so I just stick with the "traditional" bore-sighting methods.

ETA 2: I'm only curious about the adjustment range because I'm somewhat OCD about that kind of data. Noticed a little sticker inside one of the turret caps that had the "click" value on it (1/4" @ 100 yards), but still no luck on total range. I'll probably just screw around with it over the weekend, see what happens.

Last edited:

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    The swing mount is specifically for the Remington 700, so unfortunately that's out of the question (dad gave the barreled action to "a friend" to get it fixed a few years ago, hasn't seen it since). And sadly, the scope itself doesn't have enough eye relief to be comfortable on most of my rifles. That's probably an issue with me though, and for another thread.

Believe me, TXSUT. If I had a period rifle, I'd mount the scope on that in a heartbeat. But I don't, so for now I'm working with what I've got (pair of .22s and a newer .270).

@ Travis: I've tried a similar bench technique in the past, had pretty good luck with it (though I fire 3 or 5-shot groups rather than a single shot). Might try it with this Redfield over the weekend if I can make up my mind what to mount it on.

ETA: Already have a laser bore-sighter, one of the muzzle-insert ones from Cabela's. It doesn't work worth **** unless it's dark out, so I just stick with the "traditional" bore-sighting methods.

ETA 2: I'm only curious about the adjustment range because I'm somewhat OCD about that kind of data. Noticed a little sticker inside one of the turret caps that had the "click" value on it (1/4" @ 100 yards), but still no luck on total range. I'll probably just screw around with it over the weekend, see what happens.

By total range, do you really mean Field of View? For the average Joe with a hunting rifle, 4x is good out to about 200 yards give or take. For my aging eyes, 4x only gets me out to 150 yards on a good day. But maybe I am misunderstanding what you're actually looking for?

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    When I say total range, I mean the elevation/windage adjustment range. FOV is FOV, and for me doesn't matter much.

My .270 currently needs a scope, but I'm nit-picky with what I want and don't shoot it at all anyway (last time I took it out my shoulder was bruised for a few days), so for the moment that's a safe queen until I pick up a recoil pad and/or some low-recoil ammo.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Gotcha on range, thanks for clarifying.

Ok, was gonna offer up a older Redfield 3-9x of mine to you if you were hard-pressed to hunt this season, but I understand.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Lol, thanks for the thought, but I've got a different rifle that I'm using this season. AR-15 in 6.8 SPC, topped with a Trijicon TR20-1. Still need to check the zero this weekend, but I'm confident that it's more than capable of dropping one of the big bucks or 150-pound hogs that keep showing up on my game camera.

Back on-topic, went to Cabela's earlier, was able to get the info I needed from one of the guys working their gun counter. Think I'll stick this old beauty on my .22 M4gery (inb4WTFreactions), see how it does there. Just gotta get that Midway order in so I can mount it right.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    The clicks are 1/4 minute of angle and the total adjsutment range is 9 inches up and 9 inches down or a total of 18 inches, same for left to right. This assumes that it is mounted dead zero to start with.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Dayum, that's a small-ass range... Gonna be interesting to see if it'll even work on my .22 this weekend. Granted, I'm only using that rifle for 50 yard shots at best, so I might get lucky.

Top Bottom