APOD Firearms

So My Son Has His Sights Set On A Remington 700...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    That sounds like a good time burning powered. Enjoy!
    Yep, even if he decides against anything I have to offer him - it will be an excellent day at the range shooting together nonetheless. Then off to Bubba Brews on highway 70 in Bonnerdale, AR or to the one on Lake Hamilton (this place had the best smoked brisket Brendan and I have ever eaten) before we part ways.
    Capitol Armory ad

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    I was giving the first good cleaning to the Savage 111 LRH last night and discovered what either is a design or production flaw or that I am an idiot because I cannot figure out how to do something as simple as remove a bolt from a rifle without first removing its adjustable comb/cheekpiece. If the comb is all the way down, the rear of the bolt hits the comb. If the comb is up a couple of notches, the rear of the bolt slides under the comb and the bolt handle hits the comb. Either way, the bolt cannot be removed, as far as I can figure, without taking off the comb. When back the furthest it will go with the comb in place, there is almost exactly 1/4 of an inch of the front of the bolt assembly still in the receiver when the rearward travel of the bolt is stopped by the comb. I find it hard to believe they purposefully designed the gun like that and when I went to Savage's website, I noticed that all of the current adjustable combs are quite different than the one on this rifle (this one is more or less a saddle shaped comb that fits on over the stock). I contacted Savage to see what they have to say about it because it would be a royal pain in the neck to have to remove it each time I wanted to remove the bolt for a thorough cleaning. I could use a Dremel to grind off the area of the comb that impedes the bolt travel but I figure I'll first see what Savage says about this issue. I had a problem with a Savage 93 BVXP and contacted them and they wound up replacing it with another model (a Savage 93 BTVSS - a nicer rifle). Maybe they will replace the comb or the stock on this one. Of course, they may just confirm (what my wife has believed for years) that I am an idiot and may tell me how to get out the bolt without removing the comb.

Savage 111 LRH 300WM Promo, Ser # K151987 photo 1 of 2.jpg

Savage 111 LRH 300WM Promo, Ser # K151987 photo 2 of 2.jpg

Attachments

• Savage 111 LRH 300WM Promo, Ser # K151987 photo 1 of 2.jpg
      Savage 111 LRH 300WM Promo, Ser # K151987 photo 1 of 2.jpg
      122.6 KB · Views: 454
    • Savage 111 LRH 300WM Promo, Ser # K151987 photo 2 of 2.jpg
      Savage 111 LRH 300WM Promo, Ser # K151987 photo 2 of 2.jpg
      73.6 KB · Views: 460

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    It's a good feeling to find out I am not the village idiot when it comes to the problem I mentioned above with the Savage 111 LRH. Savage got in touch with me today and the lady who sent me the email said I should not have to remove the cheek piece to remove the bolt and that she is going to send me a replacement stock. :cool:

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Went to the range with brendan today. he was impressed by the Savag 111 LRH and the 300 WIN MAG round. Not sure if he wants it yet but he is considering it. He was also very impressed with the Marlin 36 and liked the others we shot as well. Those were the Remington 141 & Marlin 336 both in 35 REM, the Savage Axis XP in 308 and the marlin 36 in 30-30. After all that he said he may just use his Remington 870 with its rifled barrel for hunting this year! The long story is here: https://ballseyesboomers.blogspot.com/2019/09/range-day-today-with-its-ups-downs.html.

just country

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Texas
    morning, back in rem.'s day they made a 700 classic.
    very nice accurate rifles. as said the Winnie is a bit more
    than a youth rifle. the 7mm express, 25-06 or 270 would b along
    a very good choice. all r very good killers. justme gbot tum

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    An inch in any direction would have taken it down, right?
    So 2" diameter at that range?
    Sorry. Have not checked in on this thread. Short answer, maybe if an inch high. Inch lower it would blow the lower jaw off and the deer would starve to death. Left or right may not hit enough brain to turn the lights out and it dies a day or two later. Inch high and probably alright.

I only have 2 rifles I will take head shots past 100 with. My DPMS LR308 and my FNAR. Both shoot consistently under an inch at 100 and the FNAR, with the right ammo, shoots right at 1/2”

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The Savage is better than the 700, but the .308 is probably a better choice than the .300 WM. If he's buying an older 700, make sure it's one that was upgraded by the factory. For many years Remington sold 700s that were defective. Some times the rifle would fire when the safety is clicked off. (I had a beautiful 700 BDL in .308 that did exactly that. I sold it off.) I think "60 Minutes" even had an episode on that issue. Part of the problem is that you have to click off the safety in order to unload the rifle. I would recommend the Winchester Model 70 over the Remington any day, and with the great barrel and trigger that Savage has gone to, I'd recommend the Savage any day.

But the 300 Win Mag is a moose of a cartridge that isn't really needed for any game in Texas. He may find that unpleasant to shoot for practice. If he doesn't reload, it's also a lot more expensive to buy ammo.

Sounds like you want to unload the 300, and this is just a good opportunity. If you don't need to sell it, then hold on and give it to him some time in the future when it can be his backup rifle - or that the one he uses when he gets lucky enough to go hunt an elk or something.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    The Savage is better than the 700, but the .308 is probably a better choice than the .300 WM. If he's buying an older 700, make sure it's one that was upgraded by the factory. For many years Remington sold 700s that were defective. Some times the rifle would fire when the safety is clicked off. (I had a beautiful 700 BDL in .308 that did exactly that. I sold it off.) I think "60 Minutes" even had an episode on that issue. Part of the problem is that you have to click off the safety in order to unload the rifle. I would recommend the Winchester Model 70 over the Remington any day, and with the great barrel and trigger that Savage has gone to, I'd recommend the Savage any day.

But the 300 Win Mag is a moose of a cartridge that isn't really needed for any game in Texas. He may find that unpleasant to shoot for practice. If he doesn't reload, it's also a lot more expensive to buy ammo.

Sounds like you want to unload the 300, and this is just a good opportunity. If you don't need to sell it, then hold on and give it to him some time in the future when it can be his backup rifle - or that the one he uses when he gets lucky enough to go hunt an elk or something.
    .300 WinMag is the minimum caliber for most of the Nilgai hunts I see advertised. Also a great round for Axis Deer and other non indigenous big game Texas has running through it.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    He has a lot of time to make up his mind. He pretty much already decided against the Savage 111 LRH in 300 WIN MAG and against one of my two Remington 141's in 35 REM (too late for him to change his mind on them as I recently sold one of them). As for wanting to get rid of the Savage, heck I just bought a Vortex Crossfire II scope for it; so, I'll be keeping it for at least awhile to have some fun with it and maybe for deer hunting next year and who knows maybe I'll run across a hogzilla.

While 300 WIN MAG ammo is more expensive than 308, it is not that bad, less than a buck a round and less than what I pay for 35 REM. For my son though, that might be a consideration.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom