• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    One I shot about an hour ago using PVS-14 and thermal scope on 300 BLK SBR.
    1465216_10200470854728526_1005729584_n.jpg
    Hurley's Gold

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Would you recommend a monocular or goggle setup? Neither one really offers depth perception, right? But wouldn't using a monocular for extended periods of time start stressing your eye?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Would you recommend a monocular or goggle setup? Neither one really offers depth perception, right? But wouldn't using a monocular for extended periods of time start stressing your eye?

Nah, the monocular doesn't stress your eye. If anything, the feeling is that you've gone blind in the eye that doesn't have a monocular, since it'll be open and looking around, but not seeing anything compared to the other one. At least, that's how it feels like for me.

I prefer the 14 to the 7, but I'm weird. I'd like to try a AN/AVS-6 setup like Renegade has sometime, since it's a true binocular setup (the 7 is just two viewers from one tube). Some people really prefer the 7, but for whatever reason, I'm liking the 14 a bit better. Not sure why, but it might be the same reason that binoculars have never seemed to work right for me, and I'm not too comfortable using them.

Or maybe like you've got that eye covered by something you can't see through... Yeah. Walk around with your hand over one eye for a while, that's basically how it feels to just be using one eye.

The other thing that takes a little getting used to is that you can't just look with your eyes. The tube isn't big, and if you're not looking through the tube, you ain't going to see. So you wind up having to move your head around more.

Last edited:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I've got some cheap night vision googles that came with the call of duty game (they actually work!). But they're basically a night vision camera put into a headset. They work, they're cool, but they're nothing like the ones I played with in the military. I still got to see how there's zero depth perception using them and how you do have to move your head a lot more and really have confidence in where you're walking.

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill

I prefer the monocular myself. Mainly because I use the PVS-14 over my left eye, and I can use my right eye to look through the scope without having to remove the PVS. Also you will find yourself closing the eye behind the night vision occasionally to judge the ambient light, look for natural light sources, or other reasons.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    So, I noticed something interesting... Glint tape only reflects back to the source of illumination. Had no idea.

I prefer the monocular myself. Mainly because I use the PVS-14 over my left eye, and I can use my right eye to look through the scope without having to remove the PVS. Also you will find yourself closing the eye behind the night vision occasionally to judge the ambient light, look for natural light sources, or other reasons.

I have trouble getting behind a rifle with the 14 on, plan on getting an IR laser to fix that problem. If I do, I can't see through both optics and night vision...

Natural light sources - hell all light sources - jump out through the 14 for me. I could see a fire that'd burned to embers by the flicker at 100 yard distance and no direct view. I could see it flickering on the people sitting next to it. An actual camp fire, even if it was a small cook fire, is something I'd imagine would show up reflecting off leaves and terrain from a looooong ways out through a 14. A lot further away than a person would have a prayer of spotting it with their naked eye.

Top Bottom