• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The AN/PVS-14 is a pretty sweet unit. I've had the chance to mess with a few people at night now, and it's pretty hilarious. It's harder to use and get used to than you might realize, but damn if it doesn't have some real potential. Using this stuff in a SHTF fight wouldn't even be cheating - it'd be playing a totally different game than the other side. Unless, that is, the other side has them, too...

Anyway, at the very least it's a fun toy. I'm going to have to find a dark place (off public roads, of course) where I can mess around with driving and using NV. Just because that sounds like fun. :D
    Guns International

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    I drive my side by side using a PVS-14 when hunting. Takes some getting used too. No depth perception, and its like looking through a toilet paper tube. Still fun to see everything when it can't see you back.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    The AN/PVS-14 is a pretty sweet unit. I've had the chance to mess with a few people at night now, and it's pretty hilarious. It's harder to use and get used to than you might realize, but damn if it doesn't have some real potential. Using this stuff in a SHTF fight wouldn't even be cheating - it'd be playing a totally different game than the other side. Unless, that is, the other side has them, too...

Anyway, at the very least it's a fun toy. I'm going to have to find a dark place (off public roads, of course) where I can mess around with driving and using NV. Just because that sounds like fun. :D

It is very fun. Done blackout driving quite a bit on my last deployment. NVG's really mess with your depth perception and takes getting use to, but very fun indeed.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Very nice...I wish a PVS14 were in the bubget, heck even the PVS7 isn't cheap.

Turns out they run the same tube, so you'll see the same thing. The only difference is if you prefer to have it display in one eye or both. I felt like the 7 messed with my depth perception more than the 14 for the simple reason that I was getting input from both eyes and expected some depth to it (vs the one-eyed view of the 14, and automatically expecting no depth).

The 7 I've messed with doesn't have a gain control on it like the 14, either. Overall, the 14 wins, IMO.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Turns out they run the same tube, so you'll see the same thing. The only difference is if you prefer to have it display in one eye or both. I felt like the 7 messed with my depth perception more than the 14 for the simple reason that I was getting input from both eyes and expected some depth to it (vs the one-eyed view of the 14, and automatically expecting no depth).

The 7 I've messed with doesn't have a gain control on it like the 14, either. Overall, the 14 wins, IMO.

The 14 is Gen 3 too , isn't it? And the 7 is Gen 2?

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Different tube between the 7 and 14, the PVS-14 has a smaller Image Intensifier tube with a wire and connection for the circuit card in the lower half (battery compartment) and the PVS-7 has a slightly larger tube that slides into the area between the front lens and main housing and has an area that touches contacts in the main housing, very similar design though. With the PVS-7's you will lose all depth perception because it's a bi-ocular, add the magnifier and forget about it lol. I've messed around with a lot of night vision as that was my job in the Corps, literally rebuilt these things. Also the generation will depend on when/where you buy them, you can get either in 1st gen to latest gen obviously price goes up immensely for the later gen.

Last edited:

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Well, I know who to talk to if I have trouble with it now. :p

M. Sage, what model did you get and where's it from? Got a pic?

I don't have a pic yet. I got it from a gun show vendor. I know he sets up in SA and Houston. He made me a deal I couldn't refuse...

I need to get an IR laser for my AR and find someone who wants to let me murder some hogs.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    Been real tempted to get this: OPMOD PVS-14 Gen 3 Night Vision Monocular w/ Head Mount & Optional Rail Mount Adapter

But I'm kinda waiting to see if there will be a significant drop in some of the ATN thermal units. That said gen 3+ NV has some advantages such as being able to use inside a vehicle looking out, and for other non-weapons related tasks. You really need both thermal and NV to cover all the bases I think. For now I'm gonna make do with illuminated reticles in my scopes for low light and wait for the things to come down in price even more and hope the internet tax thing doesn't go through any time soon... If thermal got down to about $3K range for 320 resolution /30hz I think ATN would sell a crap load of units and make a pile of money. Hoping that happens sometime relatively soon.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    We are using the DBAL-I2 with good results. The pigs do not care for it much though.

I think that's the one I'm looking at. One of my friends has one and it seems to work well.

Been real tempted to get this: OPMOD PVS-14 Gen 3 Night Vision Monocular w/ Head Mount & Optional Rail Mount Adapter

But I'm kinda waiting to see if there will be a significant drop in some of the ATN thermal units. That said gen 3+ NV has some advantages such as being able to use inside a vehicle looking out, and for other non-weapons related tasks. You really need both thermal and NV to cover all the bases I think. For now I'm gonna make do with illuminated reticles in my scopes for low light and wait for the things to come down in price even more and hope the internet tax thing doesn't go through any time soon... If thermal got down to about $3K range for 320 resolution /30hz I think ATN would sell a crap load of units and make a pile of money. Hoping that happens sometime relatively soon.

I agree that thermals are a great compliment to night vision. Perfect for searching or watching an area.

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill

You can always look for a used thermal. I have a scope I bought used. Not the newest or best resolution, but it works. Between my head-mounted PVS-14 and the thermal scope, the local hogs stay in trouble. I really want to get a hand held thermal monocular though.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I own the night where I live.

nvC00062_zps86a9a9f4.gif

FLIRDash_zpsf932350c.gif

FLIRHorses_zps472b667e.gif

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I used RAM mounts so it easily pops off for use elsewhere. For example, I can sit in the back of my truck scanning for hogs by using a tripod. Normally I only have the imager in the tripod, keep the monitor down low. This was just a test for for the pix above. The Ram mounts make it very flexible. The PathFindIR is $2450, very affordable for Thermal.

FLIRBed_zps128c3144.gif

Top Bottom