• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    "Some sheriffs say they already have seen a drop in concealed carry permit applications in the months before the new permitless carry law takes effect Jan. 1. Sheriffs in Montgomery and Baldwin counties say they have seen 40% drops in revenue already, or losses that range anywhere from $200,000 to $400,000."

A positive outcome for citizens not having to pay for 2A right.;)

As the author writes further; "If these departments couldn’t figure out how to make their budget without counting on profiting off the rights of law-abiding Americans, I’m not going to have a great deal of sympathy for them." Amen!!!
    Capitol Armory ad

Attachments

• gun holster.jpg
      gun holster.jpg
      67.7 KB · Views: 57

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Why are they losing money?

Citizens pay the sherriff for a permit?

Yes, in a lot of states its your sheriff office or local PD that issues the permit, not the state. Permit fees are usually set in state law, but the issuing agency keeps the fees, or the bulk of the fees since they handle all the processing / background checks. They usually report permits to the state for database purposes, that's about it.

It was that way in Oregon - in Washington, IIRC, local PD's could also issue the permits. There was a big to do over that during Covid panic because the PD's and SO's shut down in person visits - required for CHL applications / interviews. People couldn't get new permits or renew old permits. Turd Furgeson + the locals not processing permits got sued over that, if I'm not mistaken.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    From the Bearing Arms blog;
    "While I’m sure there are plenty of Alabama gun owners who are thrilled with the changes, there is some opposition to the new permitless carry law that took effect on January 1st, and not all of it is coming from those who’ve been objecting from the get-go....Sheriffs also came under criticism last year for emphasizing lost revenues by the removal of the permit requirement. Burch said the Mobile County Sheriff Department, during the second half of last year, lost an estimated $800,000."

Attachments

• ezgif.com-gif-maker (10).jpg
      ezgif.com-gif-maker (10).jpg
      85.9 KB · Views: 29

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    Since their staff are not having to run background checks, process fingerprints or issue carry permits, this should free up some resources/staff to pursue actual police work or they could lay them off if this was their only responsibility.

Sounds like they were profiteering off of the fees they charged for issuing carry permits.

I remember getting a carry permit when I lived in Huntsville Alabama in 91 or 92. If I remember correctly you went down to the sheriffs office with a photo and turned in the application (no fingerprints), Paid them five dollars and walked out with a hand written permit. I have a feeling they made it much more complicated/expensive since way back then

Top Bottom