• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    how is this any different than shooting someone stealing from your home (castle doctrine)

what was the race of the deceased?

zen1300

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2013
    I also struggle with this one. I don't like thieves either, but I'm not about to kill someone over beer. Just because something is "legally justified" doesn't mean it's wise or the correct action.

This adds fuel to a fire that I would like to see get under control. The anti-aging crowd has a field day with these things. Even if he's exonerated, the damage is done and many stuck on the fence go to the other side.

I hope new info comes out or that this case stays local from a media perspective.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    He may win legally, but it's going to cost him some $, will it be worth the $8 beer doubt it.

sent from my cell phone, far far away but still monitored by the NSA

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    We don't know the whole story. Many groups/gangs will make convenience stores their own personal gratis food/beer supply stop, confident that as long as they can outrun the clerk they're in the clear.

Shoplifting is a cumulative issue - lose $50/day to it, that's $1500/mo. Now - if someone is stealing a $1500 item would you say it's justified. Sorry - the monetary value means little to me.......you steal, you deserve what you get. I can promise you - if I was on that GJ, he'd be no-billed so fast it'd make your head swim.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    From the few details I've heard, it sounds like the shooter was well within the law. I don't think that shoplifting should turn into automatic execution, but it sounds like the courts will sort out the details.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    If you do not want to die, do not steal. Duh. The thief made the life/death decisions, not the store owner.

zen1300

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2013
    Would people here still feel the same if their child was peer pressured into stealing a 12-pack?

I know what I would do to my kid if I caught him doing that, but I sure wouldn't think shooting him was justified.

My kid would take the punishment of the crime, plus I would have him working for that shop free of pay until he paid off more than 100 times that 12-pack.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Would people here still feel the same if their child was peer pressured into stealing a 12-pack?

I know what I would do to my kid if I caught him doing that, but I sure wouldn't think shooting him was justified.

My kid would take the punishment of the crime, plus I would have him working for that shop free of pay until he paid off more than 100 times that 12-pack.

Ugh the "if it was your child" argument.

I mean seriously your on a gun forum...

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX

Yes I would. I would certainly have more emotional attachment, but the reasoning doesn't change. The store owner would have no way to know if the thief was armed and would likely have no other way to stop the escape of the property without risking harm or death.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Sorry, but killing for petty theft is not justified. There was no threat to life or limb from the perpetrator. Now, if the little gang punk had reached for a weapon (or appeared to do so) then yes, put a hole in him. But a theft that would be a misdemeanor and get the kid a slap on the wrist if he were arrested? Not worth killing over.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Sure it is, cost effective not so much

Then we certainly stand apart. I flat will not kill someone over stuff. I suspect it is easy to sit behind your computer and talk about how strong one is about justice.

Actually pressing the trigger on a living person is different.

Internet bravado. In ten years of teaching over one thousand CHL students, I can count on one hand the people, when presented with the realities of using deadly force, stated they would shoot someone over stuff.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Yes I would. I would certainly have more emotional attachment, but the reasoning doesn't change. The store owner would have no way to know if the thief was armed and would likely have no other way to stop the escape of the property without risking harm or death.

I strongly suspect you are being disingenuous.

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    Internet bravado. In ten years of teaching over one thousand CHL students, I can count on one hand the people, when presented with the realities of using deadly force, stated they would shoot someone over stuff.

Who's to say that shootings or non-shooting is due to morality, like I stated, is killing somebody cost effective ? Is going to court and paying thousands of $ worth a 6 pack of beer?

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    We don't know the whole story. Many groups/gangs will make convenience stores their own personal gratis food/beer supply stop, confident that as long as they can outrun the clerk they're in the clear.

Shoplifting is a $#@!ulative issue - lose $50/day to it, that's $1500/mo. Now - if someone is stealing a $1500 item would you say it's justified. Sorry - the monetary value means little to me.......you steal, you deserve what you get. I can promise you - if I was on that GJ, he'd be no-billed so fast it'd make your head swim.

seems theres a bit of hypocrisy around these parts. its perfectly okay to protect your home and defend your family. it is however, not okay to protect your business and livelihood (unless its a big ticket item it seems).

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I stole some beer once when I was 16. Well, got caught once, was the last time.

Top Bottom