Hurley's Gold

So Tired of People Bitching About..........

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    .......Ranges that "only" go out to 100 yards.

The fact is most folks that shoot on public ranges have no business shooting at 100 yards, let alone 200 or beyond.
    Watched a guy shooting 6" + groups with a very well put together Rem700 in .308 and was complaining that the range only went to 100 yards.

I have heard this many times, people, if you can't shoot at a minimum a one inch group at 100 yards, you really have no business slinging lead out past that.

Same with pistols. I have had people who need to pass a qualification for work( both security and LE) and could not keep a tight group at 3, 5, or 7 yards. They only wanted to practice at 15, and 25. People, if you can't get 20 shots in a fist sized group at 9 FEET from the target, you are not going to do any better at 45 or 75 feet. You will only do a lot of missing the target completely.

That is all.
    DK Firearms

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Go back to France with that metric crap.:usflag:

'Murica!

captain-murica_o_958949.jpg

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Let's face it. It's hard to justify shooting the light fixtures and walls at 9 feet. But much easier at 25 yards. So just let gramps destroy your range because he once read an Elmer Keith book.

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    I regularly fire 5.56mm out to 300m+ with carbine and patrol length rifles with pretty good effect on target. It would be nice to have somewhere else to practice on my own.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    When my friend Bonnie and I shot 200 and 600 yard matches, we wouldn't even open a gun case to shoot at 100 yards. 200 yards was our minimum except for initial sight ins. We shot NRA position matches or "F" class matches every weekend for almost 8 years, it was fun and I'm glad that I did it. We won lots of awards and I won some cash prizes at 600 yards.

(Feel free to check the awards in my profile album.)
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/members/roger4314-albums-flash-how-how.html

About 5 years ago, I stopped competing and I'm tired of humping target frames and targets out to 200 yards. My focus this year will be shooting bench rest bug hole groups at 100 yards. Skill required is the same except for wind doping. The groups are tiny and it's still fun. It just griped Hell out of me to launch 168 grain Sierra Match Kings at a 100 yard target.

SO...yes, I guess I looked down on 100 yard shooters. Maybe I was a 100 yard snob. It just seemed like slingshot distance at the time......snicker. I will change and warm up to 100 yard shooting..............this year.

Flash

Last edited:

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Hey, if I'm require to hit the broad side of a barn with every shot then I want that barn at least 200 yards away. I likes me a challenge.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    At the local 3gun match last weekend, the 300 yard target was very difficult for most people. The 400 and 500 yard targets were next to impossible for the vast majority.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I like to bitch about 100 yard ranges that don't allow me to shoot pistols.

View attachment 26783

You and I are in the "less than 1%" club when it comes to accurately shooting pistols at 100 yards. It is a matter of monkey see, monkey do. Someone sees you shooting a handgun at 100, and then tries it , and rounds leave the range either by ricochet , or just shot over the back stop completely.

Top Bottom