Military Camp

So, what's the word on Constitutional permitless carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I try to follow those state web pages but I just get lost.
    Did either HB 375 or 1911 get out of committee Friday?
    I see Abbott is doing serious work with his Scout Troop. Everyone else has gone silent.
    I plan on working against Abbott, Cain(my guy), King and the idiot from the Calendars Committee.
    I actually wish there was a viable third party to support.
    Can Abbott keep them in session until they actually do something?

This is all assuming both bills are dead and gone. If there is any chance then I hold off.
    Cain made it clear he was a co author but he was very quiet. Like a true do nothing Republican.
    From Trump on down, the swamp is not being cleaned out, it's turning to a lake of crap.
    We gave them the power and they ran off with it and are hiding in the closet.
    At least democrats fight. For everything wrong, but they try.
    The Republicans both state and federal are a bunch of garden slugs. They mope around and watch as
    everything falls in. Every few years they stretch out and blame the democrats.
    The American people really need a huge salt shaker.
    end of rant.
    Hurley's Gold

Tcruse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth
    While I support permit less carry, I think that there are many more important things on the armed citizen agenda. I also think that we need to be very careful to not damage the good name that current armed citizens have in Texas. The cost reduction for LTC appears to be a done deal, and that is a big step in the right direction, namely to have more responsible armed citizens in public.
    I would like to see a push for making organizations that post a "No Gun Zone" sign be forced to take responsibility for any crime that happens in such areas. We also need to work on the ploys that have been used to keep guns out of places like the Dallas Zoo,

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I haven't heard about this. What's the ploy they use?

Illegal to carry where a school sponsored event is taking place. Currently, if you are at Whataburger, and carrying, and a school field trip comes in to eat and you do not leave, you are committing a felony.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    . I also think that we need to be very careful to not damage the good name that current armed citizens have in Texas.,

How so?

The future felon is just that, today without ConCarry or tomorrow with it. Sure the media can spin it yet that doesn't change the fact that a person who chooses to go off and commit a felony with a firearm exists as much today as it would if something's like 1911 was passed. Permitless carry wouldn't cause people who don't have a felonious nature in their future to all of a sudden change.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I try to follow those state web pages but I just get lost.
    Did either HB 375 or 1911 get out of committee Friday?
    I see Abbott is doing serious work with his Scout Troop. Everyone else has gone silent.
    I plan on working against Abbott, Cain(my guy), King and the idiot from the Calendars Committee.
    I actually wish there was a viable third party to support.
    Can Abbott keep them in session until they actually do something?

This is all assuming both bills are dead and gone. If there is any chance then I hold off.
    Cain made it clear he was a co author but he was very quiet. Like a true do nothing Republican.
    From Trump on down, the swamp is not being cleaned out, it's turning to a lake of crap.
    We gave them the power and they ran off with it and are hiding in the closet.
    At least democrats fight. For everything wrong, but they try.
    The Republicans both state and federal are a bunch of garden slugs. They mope around and watch as
    everything falls in. Every few years they stretch out and blame the democrats.
    The American people really need a huge salt shaker.
    end of rant.

I'm still wondering. Did 375 & 1911 die Friday?

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Illegal to carry where a school sponsored event is taking place. Currently, if you are at Whataburger, and carrying, and a school field trip comes in to eat and you do not leave, you are committing a felony.

7486796071e61e8e23ac6db6ca924d8d.png

I'm not saying it is or isn't the case but I find it hard to believe that is a school team randomly shows up at a WB to eat that all of a sudden I'm a felon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    The key words are institution of higher education. This means colleges. Schools refers to K-12. Probably beat the charges but you could still take the ride.

Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless:
    (A) pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution; or
    (B) the person possesses or goes with a concealed handgun that the person is licensed to carry under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and no other weapon to which this section applies, on the premises of an institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education, on any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by the institution is being conducted, or in a passenger transportation vehicle of the institution;

Last edited:

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    The key words are institution of higher education. This means colleges. Schools refers to K-12. Probably beat the charges but you could still take the ride.

Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless:
    (A) pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution; or
    (B) the person possesses or goes with a concealed handgun that the person is licensed to carry under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and no other weapon to which this section applies, on the premises of an institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education, on any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by the institution is being conducted, or in a passenger transportation vehicle of the institution;

I have been told that it would only apply to grounds that are under the school's control, but it is definitely a grey area, and I don't get into that discussion with LTC students (only go over the law, I'm not interpreting that one).

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I have been told that it would only apply to grounds that are under the school's control, but it is definitely a grey area, and I don't get into that discussion with LTC students (only go over the law, I'm not interpreting that one).

My attorney says it is best to err on the side of caution until it is cleaned up in the legislature. She interprets it as ANYPLACE a school sponsored activity is taking place, but says it could be defensible if you were arrested.Remember MateFrio, law was clearly on his side and he still took the ride.

I tell my LTC students to err on the side of caution.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    And besides, they don't randomly show up at Whataburger - they plan those trips in advance!

So when a small school group plans a visit to HEB Plus, as I know my son's special needs class does on occasion, you're saying the entire store becomes a school-sponsored activity?

And a group of kids come into a Whataburger wearing their local high school garb, how is a LTC/CHL holder to know if it is a "activity sponsored by a school" or not?

Sorry, but I don't see that as being the intent of the law, nor have I ever heard of anyone being held to that standard.

By the way, HB 1298 was suppose to clear all that up back in 2013...

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/83R/billtext/html/HB01298I.htm

But it didn't go anywhere. Despite being contacted by many supporters of this bill, Chairman Joe Pickett never scheduled HB 1298 for a vote. The deadline to move this bill out of committee has passed; it was considered dead for that legislative session...

http://www.texasfirearmsfreedom.com/the-school-field-trip-bill-hb-1298/

And:

http://www.statesman.com/news/local...alks-into-the-capitol/rQCpkDXu2BeNssevNy8YIK/

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    On the bright side, we're close to ending private vehicle inspections.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    So when a small school group plans a visit to HEB Plus, as I know my son's special needs class does on occasion, you're saying the entire store becomes a school-sponsored activity?

And a group of kids come into a Whataburger wearing their local high school garb, how is a LTC/CHL holder to know if it is a "activity sponsored by a school" or not?

Sorry, but I don't see that as being the intent of the law, nor have I ever heard of anyone being held to that standard.

By the way, HB 1298 was suppose to clear all that up back in 2013...

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/83R/billtext/html/HB01298I.htm

But it didn't go anywhere. Despite being contacted by many supporters of this bill, Chairman Joe Pickett never scheduled HB 1298 for a vote. The deadline to move this bill out of committee has passed; it was considered dead for that legislative session...

http://www.texasfirearmsfreedom.com/the-school-field-trip-bill-hb-1298/

And:

http://www.statesman.com/news/local...alks-into-the-capitol/rQCpkDXu2BeNssevNy8YIK/

Do you think the intent of the section of chapter 46 (relating to MateFrio's arrest) was to allow illegal knives to be carried by chl( at the time, now LTC) holders as long as they were also carrying a gun?

I can almost guarantee that was not the intention but never the less, that is the law as it is written.

You want to be the test case, go right ahead and OC at the Dallas or Houston Zoo and see what they charge you with.

I'll donate to your gofundme legal defense.

Top Bottom