Guns International

So, y'all still mad at Cheaperthandirt ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CitizenSeven

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Dallas
    When the latest media-manufactured "obamamania" hit, CTD cancelled pending orders and "restocked" at double, triple, and higher prices on in-stock merchandise.

THAT I hadn't heard, and now the CTD-hate makes sense. That's sleazy, and the excuse that their sales system couldn't keep up with their inventory system is just too damn bad: if you make a deal, whether directly or through one of your systems, you better be willing to stick by that deal or be rightly labeled untrustworthy. If somebody on TG talk or TG trader pulled that sort of nonsense (cancel the deal made with someone because they found a better one), they would be called out on it, and I know I'd never even consider dealing with them.

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    If their interconnected IT systems cause them business issues, then they need to fix it or change it, etc. Businesses are still responsible for their "business". A vendor crying about something they can control is their problem, and should not be the consumer's problem. Just my $.02.

Guess they used the same company to set the site up as Obamacare.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Used GI AR mags:

Sept 1 - $10

Feb 1 - $120

That's just wrong. Not mad anymore, but I won't buy from them anymore. $2K a year, spent somewhere else.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Looks like...

pPLJ7.png

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I agree that the honorable thing to do would have been to place all those orders in backorder status and then fulfill them, eventually, at the advertised price.

But almost NO business does that. I don't think I've ever seen a print catalog that didn't have some fine print somewhere that said "Not responsible for typographical errors."

Here's an example. Decades ago, my brother in law got a promo coupon from a car dealership for an oil filter for $1. The filter would usually cost maybe $10. He immediately went to the dealership and tried to buy their entire stock of oil filters for a buck apiece. (He planned to rent a flea market booth and immediately re-sell them.) They said there was a limit of 1 per coupon. He raised a stink, eventually talked to their attorney, and was told that the failure to put the "Limit One" language on the coupon was a typographical error for which the dealership refused to be responsible.

Was the dealership wrong to deny my brother in law? If the classifieds in the back of the newspaper erroneously shows the price of a new car as $20 instead of $20,000, should the dealership be forced to honor the advertised price?

CTD made a mistake by advertising product they didn't have. I agree that they should have foreseen the problem, it should have never occurred, and they handled it in a way that made them look bad. However, I can't justify cutting off my business with them for what was really just a modern version of a typographical error in their catalog.

I can justify cutting off my business with them for their pricing policies.

And that will be my last post about this. I'm NOT defending CTD but if I post any more, it'll start to sound like I am.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    CTD committed bloodthirsty gouging at a time when we were on the ropes and hurting. Although, they never cancelled MY orders to sell that item at a higher price, I know that was Standard Operating Procedure for them. I never experienced that with ANY other supplier. I guess that places CTD at the bottom of the barrel.

Not mad. I wish them luck. I have many suppliers who treat customers better so I'll deal with them.

Flash

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    IMHO there have been lots and lots of providers price gouging at the time, but only CTD got crucified. I can name atleast 10 ammo sellers who were selling .223 at $1.25 a round during the same time.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    CTD consistently has the highest prices on firearms in the area - I used to go into their McKinney store from time to time, but when I was in the market for a few guns, I noticed that Cabela's consistently beat CTD's prices by $100-$300 on everything I was interested in. As far as accessories, when they're not gouging at $100 each for rifle mags, they're at best average - I can usually find what I need at Cabela's or Academy, with smaller crowds and much more helpful employees to make the experience more pleasant.

So no, not mad at them, I just see no reason to pay extra for the same thing while supporting crappy customer service.

Last edited:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I paid attention and I still avoid them. JT Sports in Copperas Cove has always been a little pricey here and there, but during the panic, they were taking advantage of customers. So I avoided them if I could then, and I still do.

If academy, the base exchange, and Nocked and Loaded in Lampasas are all selling me ammo with a minimal mark up, then what's making it so expensive through other businesses? Greed.

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    CTD has terrible customer service, thats the one thing that keeps me from going back ever. Cabellas is right down the road in McKinney and they always have better prices on everything from guns to PMAGS to ammo. Plus the local Wally Worlds always have ammo as well!:peace:

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Cheaper than Plutonium does the same thing every time there's a panic; they will do it again. I used to place their catalogs in waiting rooms or free newspaper boxes just for fun. Now they go straight to the shredder.

Top Bottom