APOD Firearms

So you can detach and re-attache a Larue scope mount on an AR without loosing zero?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Re: So you can detach and re-attache a Larue scope mount on an AR without loosing zer

The 1913 picatinny or MIL-STD-1913 is a rail specification designed to be have repeatable zero.
    Any 1913 component should hold zero when mated with any other rail component.
    Larue is just one of many manufacturers who build to the spec.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Re: So you can detach and re-attache a Larue scope mount on an AR without loosing zer

Yes. I use the larue mounts almost exclusively.

they work!

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Depends upon how much margin of error you are OK with.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr

Usually about .5 to 1 MOA shift.

About the same as the "return to zero" high-dollar SureFire QD supressors.

Marketing hype is marketing hype. Does it return to exact zero? No, not every time. Although I messed with three rifles, each with their own scope, each in LaRue mounts, and a solid 200 yard zero to find out... I was curious if I could switch scopes "zeroed" on the same rifle, to go from a 1-4, to a 15.-8, to a 6-24 depending on the match and when the first rifle didn't quite go back to zero I tried two others. Those 3-gun shooters, nothing but crazy gamers ;)

Alex

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston

1 MOA should be plenty for most people.
    Having a close range pig gun and swap to a long range deer gun and back just by swapping scopes is a very cool idea.
    Your still going to be in the vitals on a deer at 600yds.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth

1 MOA shift at 600 yards and you will miss a deer heart. It's slightly smaller than your fist, give or take. We're talking about changing point of aim over 6 inches at that distance. You need to bump up to something larger at 600yds for Whitetail, IMO. If you're staying within a few hundred yards then you should be good to go with 556 or 223. I would verify zero after throwing a detachable scope back on. I've killed plenty of deer with a .222 carbine, but your zero better be dead nuts on with that small of a caliber or you're going to be trailing your deer for a while.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston

The point was not to indicate the usefulness of hunting with a 5.56 at 600 yds. It's to show the size of a 1MOA shift. Given the gun is a 1MOA gun the actual diameter could be 12". Not that it matters. You can't expect any rifle to shoot that precisely. Yes, some can shoot a chicken egg at 500 yds but they can't be expected to. Besides at long range with a appropriate cal you should be shooting center mass and not trying to hit a baseball sized organ situated low in the chest. As for tracking wounded animals I have spent many more hours trying to locate animals shot with 300 win mags than I have 5.56, 243 and the like.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX

I have no issue switching between an aimpoint, D740 and 1-4x.

The IOR 3-18 that I have on another rifle returns to zero well within my ability to shoot it and that may be the problem.

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 28, 2011
    Austin

I have similar experiences to Wakal above. About .5-1" shift at 100. With most of my carbines it's hardly noticeable. Just make sure you seat the base in the same location and push it forward against the lug on the rail the same way each time. As a side note my QD Warne bases and rings have been pretty repeatable on my hunting/practical rifles.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Shame, I have never had to track a Deer I shot.
    I always shot them in the neck....killed my first Deer with a .222 at 8 yrs. old.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth

Shame, I have never had to track a Deer I shot.
    I always shot them in the neck....killed my first Deer with a .222 at 8 yrs. old.

I've only had to track one (that I personally shot). It was maybe 50 yards away and I nailed it with a 30-06. I shot behind the shoulder through the lungs because it was a huge buck and I wanted to keep as much cape as possible in tact for mounting. It was the only time I've ever taken a lung shot and it was a huge mistake.

It was during the rut and they were all geared up. There was a big pool of blood, but I still ended up tracking it for over 2 miles. I tracked it until the sun went down and we ran out of light. We came back the next morning but never ended up finding it. Coyotes probably had a great meal.

LS1Nut

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    San Antonio

The point was not to indicate the usefulness of hunting with a 5.56 at 600 yds. It's to show the size of a 1MOA shift. Given the gun is a 1MOA gun the actual diameter could be 12". Not that it matters. You can't expect any rifle to shoot that precisely. Yes, some can shoot a chicken egg at 500 yds but they can't be expected to. Besides at long range with a appropriate cal you should be shooting center mass and not trying to hit a baseball sized organ situated low in the chest. As for tracking wounded animals I have spent many more hours trying to locate animals shot with 300 win mags than I have 5.56, 243 and the like.

-Actually.. 1 MOA at 600 yds is a 6" diameter.. not a 6" radius from P-o-Aim... just a 6" circle... sorry, couldnt resist.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth

Actually one MOA at 600 yards is 6.283".

Just in case that matters to someone. It doesn't to me. In fact, not sure why I even posted it.

Top Bottom