So, you have an AR for home defense, SHTF - what ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    saline
    Yes it does but velocity is what makes the difference as to it's ability to be dangerous. If everybody is lined up against the wall in the neighboring apartment (or room) and the tester shoots through the wall on the opposite side about a foot away, then yes either would be dangerous to whatever is up against that wall. But that doesn't make them "equally" dangerous.

A 9mm will penetrate a sandbag deeper than a 233, the high velocity becomes it's own worst enemy
    Hurley's Gold

Glockzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 10, 2008
    Cedar Hill
    Anything soft point which happens to come with a discount. I like this one very much
    l_ranger_box__02722.1521863701.jpg

Old_Inspector

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    If a .223 round is used, a TAP or DRT round seem more appropriate for minimal over-penetration; they should completely fragment within a target, especially a live one. A simple 55-grain soft-nose round will also give a good balance between immediate cessation of hostilities and lack of over-penetration and may be preferred if you live in the country and may have to deal with other types of animal pests. However, they will penetrate boards readily so be careful. I would stay with lighter-weight bullets and away from the heavier bullets to minimize over-penetration; all .223 Remington/5.56 NATO rounds have supersonic velocities and will be difficult to slow down. Further, all .223 FMJ bullets will over-penetrate; they are designed for punching holes, not effectively stopping a determined enemy. No civilians are required to abide by the Hague Convention, so we are not limited to FMJ. Everyone downrange of soldiers are the "bad guys" so soldiers don't care about over-penetration. Your neighbors might. If you live on acreage with heavy woods all around, you should be okay but you still need to know what is behind your target.
    If using the .300 ACC Blackout, i prefer the heavier (200-grain plus) subsonic soft-nose bullets for greater effectiveness. They should lose velocity very fast after striking a bad guy. This what we are talking about; introducing hydro-static shock on your target and dissipating velocity.
    Realistically, remember the distances involved in most defensive scenarios are 25 yards or less (mostly less).
    Just my 2 cents.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I suppose that 30 rounds of blank ammo shot off as fast as you can trigger them would put the Perp in such a state of shock as one could then leisurely get up and stroll over.., wack him on the head with your empty AR.
    Or put one of these things on your gun. First round can be a blank to launch the golf ball for safety, and the rest of the mag can be xm69 wall penetrators.

-15-golf-ball-launcher-223-5-56-accessory-acr-accessoriestools-ncstar-colonel-mustard_953_grande.jpg

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Mostly I shoot PMC XTAC 62 gr, but I will get others if it's cheap enough, I just won't use steel cased ammo.

O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    Hmm, the thread seems to have meandered quite a bit. lol

I was just wondering what folk use for their go-to ammo.

I personally have a 9mm handy for anybody stupid enough to break into my abode. But if things get "western" then I'll be armed with my AR to handle anything beyond my domicile.

And again, I want a "standard" load for that so that I don't even have to think about any change in point of impact.

stickbowcoop

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Springtown TX
    I use whatever is on sale. Honestly if I am going to practice with it in bulk at the range I figure I will know how to shoot it. So I just keep that loaded. I figure if the shtf to the point I am grabbing my AR, quantity might be a good thing :) .

phoenix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2014
    whatever i can afford that goes bang. Super majority of it will work in that situattion

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I hate FTF/FTE even when I'm at the range, so yes, I am a bit more picky when it comes to ammo. I go to the range, not only to practice, but also to have fun.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    A heavy, slow handgun round penetrates more drywall and plywood than a light, fast rifle round.

Not doubting you.....er....well, sort of doubting.
    I just really don't know.

True or false.

45ACP or 9mm vs 5.56?

You have a reference?
    Would be an easy empirical experiment.

I've wondered.

Through this thread there are links and references to "experts" with opinions and little more.
    I'm a scientist by training, avocation and passion.
    Does anyone actually have any data regarding penetration of walls, be it 2x4s or drywall or whatever?

Opinion I generally disregard.

Last edited:

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Paul Harrell has an interesting youtube video that he made about wall penetration. I remember watching it a while back but I don't recall all the details about it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom