Target Sports

So, you have an AR for home defense, SHTF - what ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 31STMEUSOC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2019
    PA
    In your house? First question do you have kids? Also rounds go thru sheet rock I have fired 230 grain 45acp hollow points that went thru two full walls and stop at a piece of furniture on the other side in a combat shooting house that's 4 layers of 1/2 inch old school sheetrock and 2x4 studs. I always tell people birdshot messes them up real good enough that they live and the Police can pick them up at the hospital the next round is OO buck if they dont get the point.

denit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2020
    USA
    Reloads, using AA 2520 and 60 gr Nosler Partition softpoints. You're not going to fire anything like as many rds as you think, and if you HIT, youll have lots of guns and ammo to pick up. nearly all of y our 'fighting' better be suppressed, subsonic brainings, at night, or the odds are going to get you.

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    subsonic .300 Whisper 220 gr solid copper sectioned hollow-points. In one AR. The other in .458 SOCOM just for effect.... Oh! and just for fun, 3inch 12 gauge Flechette rounds (pretty darned Nasty)

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    In your house? First question do you have kids? Also rounds go thru sheet rock I have fired 230 grain 45acp hollow points that went thru two full walls and stop at a piece of furniture on the other side in a combat shooting house that's 4 layers of 1/2 inch old school sheetrock and 2x4 studs. I always tell people birdshot messes them up real good enough that they live and the Police can pick them up at the hospital the next round is OO buck if they dont get the point.
    NO children here! 100+ year old brick house lathe and plaster interior walls, support walls are brick.. Steel doors and frames. ground floor windows are 3 1/2 inch Lexan in steel double hung frames. Stress monitored floors, passive and active heat and motion sensors. It took several years and more than a few thousand bucks. Small price for some peace of mind?

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    I have chosen SS-109 version of M855 62 grain penetrator rounds for my prepper stores. I've found that this stuff (Privi Partisan in particular) is very accurate in my AR - it has 1:7" twist and 14.5" barrel (with pinned flash hider to make it over 16").

I did see an interesting youtube about M855 vs M193 with fmj bt 55 grain bullet and it basically showed that the older version actually created more disruption in the media than the 62 grain M855 - though the new round did penetrate a little further. It also found that the 55 grain version was more accurate - or made smaller groups.

I've found that my rifle puts 5 rounds into 1-1.25" at 100 yards consistently - with a scope and from a rest.

I decided to settle on one specific type so that I wouldn't have much variation in point of impact changing from one lot or case to another. The SS019 Privi Partisan can be found for a good price too. But I do have Federal as well.

I could have heavier rounds as well - they'd stabilize in my carbine due to it's fast twist and I could just record the difference in drop and record the clicks needed to adjust, but I use KISS as much as possible with my preps.

What's your choice? Or do you have multiple types?
    Yep! .300 Whisper 220 gr HP and the other is .458 SOCOM...

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    I do realize that penetration is a factor in ballistics. Velocity is another thing to consider. Bullet weight and design is critical for terminal ballistics. A high velocity small caliber bullet that has gross over penetration is a bit of a waste. You can fire a phonograph needle that will entirely pass through an adversary and they may not even know they are wounded, even seriously. I prefer to use the largest caliber projectile, travelling at 1000 to 1600 fps that expends ALL of it's energy on impact entering an enemy. It does not have to through a target, just destroy it with sudden and traumatic incapacitation. Even if a person is wearing level two, three or four body armor would be really unhappy meeting a 400 or 500 grain bullet. at sonic velocity. I do not want some idiot to return fire.
    It is all fun!

Jigo23

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    I like 55gr Hornady VMAX best. Only have about 1500 rounds left, wish I had gotten more while the gettin’ was good!

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I'm not on here just to be able to sell some guns. I'd rather not sell any more. I had a sizable collection a few years back but had to sell them to make ends meet - was hoping I was beyond that now but apparently, not quite... I've been haunting gun boards for a long long time. I'm still a mod over on guns.net and was hanging out on the Mississippi Gun Owners board when I lived there. Was also a mod on Parallax Bills but I haven't been over there in quite a while - that's a milsurp board.

And I don't wither at a few hits from people wanting to troll me. Its all part of the game.

O.S.O.K.1961,

At REAL home/farm defense ranges, I seriously doubt if the intruders/predators/criminals will know or care which 5.56 NATO round that they were shot with by a householder. - Standard GI-issue FMJ ammo will adequately do the job.
    (It is well-known among my friends that I'm "no particular fan of" the AR sort of rifles/carbines but facts are facts.)

I've often seen, over the last 4 decades, the results of one or more hits to the K5 area of the body from the M16/M4 class of rifles/carbines & all of those hits worked FINE to STOP the 2-footed/4-footed target.

ADDENDA: Should things start "getting really ugly" before we retire to Portugal this year, as seems LIKELY as I write these lines, my plan is to move the family onto Ft Sam Houston temporarily & "until things settle down".
    (The Post CDR & the staff will NOT turn away a retired MP/former PM, his lady & their "often hospitalized" 2YO son. - My plan is to get the 3 of us onto the post, check the baby/spouse into the MEDDAC & then offer to "join the party" in protecting the FSH community from "all-evildoers".)

yours, satx
    USA, Retired

Last edited:
    Reactions: gll

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    This stuff..
    Screenshot_20210131-120947_Firefox.jpg

Top Bottom