Lynx Defense

So, you have an AR for home defense, SHTF - what ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    If the action is close enough to discern the threat, the bullet won't matter. The old 55gr bullet in a 12 twist barrel worked just fine. The important thing is having enough. Being a half empty sort of guy I felt a little weird just humping the required 250 rounds. I felt safer with 400 rd in magazines and 600 more in charger clips. When life became exciting I had lots of friends who didn't laugh at me anymore. LOL!
    Hurley's Gold

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Mmmmmm, for HD I use a braced AR pistol with a 10.5" barrel and some soft point hunting bullets intended for deer. I don't remember what w/o looking.

For target and varmints I used to use my 18.5" SS spiral fluted AR with rifle length gas system, Velocity 3.5lb drop in trigger, and 55gr Sierra HPBT Matchking (dime sized groups at 100yds) for target and 55gr Sierra flatbase varmint bullets. But I have permanent damage to my right eye so I passed it down to my SIL.

For SHTF I had/have whatever I could pick up at the LGS.

Now I've got my .308 for SHTF but still can't see, going to pass it to the only grandson that is interested in deer hunting... lives in ARK.

Last edited:

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Mmmmmm, for HD I use a braced AR pistol with a 10.5" barrel and some soft point hunting bullets intended for deer. I don't remember what w/o looking.

For target and varmints I used to use my 18.5" SS spiral fluted AR with rifle length gas system, Velocity 3.5lb drop in trigger, and 55gr Sierra HPBT Matchking (dime sized groups at 100yds) for target and 55gr Sierra flatbase varmint bullets. But I have permanent damage to my right eye so I passed it down to my SIL.

For SHTF I had whatever I could pick up at the LGS.

Now I've got my .308 for SHTF but still can't see, going to pass it to the only grandson that is interested in deer hunting... lives in ARK.
    Those Sierra 4810's are a hoot. I shot them alot when I was reloading. I always wanted a Tavor, but never got one. Even with the 9mm adapter they are a hoot.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I live alone and isolated... I want my bullets to penetrate walls! But, I'd also like to have the best chance of penetrating armor...

Between the two, is that m193 or m855?

TX oddball

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    DFW
    For my HD AR, I use Hornady TAP 62 g in .223 for the house, frangible bullets for indoors.
    For SHTF, plenty of XM193 for the zombie hordes.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    opinion
    OOPS! Too soon.
    1612124632869.png

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I'm moving towards a one size fits all solution with Hornady 62gr soft points and tac powder. Feel like it's practical for everything and runs real close to moa accurate through several rifles. Don't go looking for any though, they dried up well before the pandemic started. Not even listed anywhere lately. I think it's what they use in the frontier loading but idk for sure.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    M855A1, that's if they have the wrong armor :D.
    Yeah, I don't have any M855A1...

Most people aren't sporting Level IV or even Level III. Level IIIA seems most common, but that is changing, I'm sure. Means stepping up from 5.56....

I'm still thinking M855 for penetrating walls, even though it gives up some velocity on armor.

Top Bottom