• ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Wrote this up for another forum.

Summary: For much less than an average pair of speakers you can have an audiophile experience.

Brands and build quality will change over the years. This is a general primer to get you thinking about some GOOD headpones and get you off those cheep ear buds or worthless mass market junk headphones that are mass marketed and cheep to manufacture but $$$$ to buy.

Types:

OPEN Headsets are great if you don't care what everyone around you thinks. They have a open stage effect but let in outside noise and let others hear what you are listening to. Grados are the best for the money I've found in this catagory. Note the Grado foam will degrade after 4 or 5 years.

CLOSED Headsets isolate you and the sound and the sound to the neighbors. Most folks go this direction for work environments. Note at high volume folks around you still hear the sounds. Lots of options here. Don't do skull candy though.

Full Sized Headsets cover around your ears completely and are generally more comfortable.

Small Headsets sit on top of your ear.

"In-Ear" provide personal listening and passive noise reduction from the outside world. They extend into the ear canal. These are nice and compact although some find them uncomfortable for long time listening. These and earbuds are hard to share :-) Comfort seems to be as important here as quality. Find some with different fitting plugs. The best I've found are foam ones like hearing protection and not rubber.

Earbuds sit just inside the ear and don't go down to the ear canal. I don't know any good manufacture of these.

Noise reduction headphones provide active noise reduction by sending tones to counter exterior noises on a mic attached to the headphones. The cost is you loose some of the audio. These have been mostly replaced by in ear earbuds but some folks have found them more comfortable than sticking something plastic inside their ears.

Wireless should be considered but most of them loose some of the sound.

Accessories:

Head phone amp. - Ok some sources can be greatly improved with an amp that pushes the headphone directly. Used properly these are for clarity and range and not to increase volume.

Crossover - Pure stereo music made for speakers will tire your brain as the left and right channels are WAY too isolated. We are used to the left and right ears hearing a bit of what the other side hears and our brain can center the sound. Some headpone amps will include a bit of crossover. If you've ever gotten tired of headphones being on I'd bet you it's because your brain was fighting the left right isolation.

That said I have some Grado 60s and NuForce NE-6s. I've had GREAT service for many years from Headphone Reviews, Comparisons & Recommendations. Look at their sight, they'll teach you about headphones.

Use:

The type of music should decide what you buy as well. Hard rock? Classical? Do you want more bass or more mids? Do you really want to hear when the artist turns the page of the music? Do you want a mic for the times you want to listen from your phone?
    Gun Zone Deals

recordingwhiz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    Houston
    Highly recommend a good headphone amp if you wish to get the best out of any headphones, the amp like previously stated is NOT necesseraly to obtain higher volumes but a good headphone amp will have the dynamic headroom, dampening factor and slew rate that basic headphone outputs just dont have.
    Along with having the higher quality specs that equal to more accurate sound but will have enough power to easily drive higher impedance headphones like the recording studio standard AKG K240s or Beyer DT series (can be had in lower impedance as well). most headphone amps built into most equipment today are less than ideal and ussualy thrown in as a bonus and not much attention payed into its design.

so if you love listening on headphones do yourself a favor and pick up a nice headphone amp, you will not regret it.

just a clarification. the term "crossover" in the audio world refers to a device that separates frequency ranges and outputs the different ranges separetly, in order to be able to amplify the woofer with its own amp and the tweeter with its own amp as well as an example.

the propper term I believe the OP was aiming for is "Crosstalk" which describes the feeding of signals to both Left ad Right. ( or really any singnal crossing over into another signal )

I will deffinetly agree that a good set of headphones will let you enjoy a great listening experiance that can only be achieved by a set of fairly expensive speakers.

Right now I am enjoying Klipsch X10 in ears , I love them, they are very accurate and comfortable.

for over the ear headphones I love the AKG K240 but these are open over the ear and are also 600 ohm which pretty much dictates the use of a headphone amp, but when you listen they are some of the most natural sounding out there. ther is a version that is closed back and lower impedance AKG K270. they have the same form factor.

and probably the most popular headphone in the audio industry by far is the SONY MDR7506, which you will see in just about every recording studio's arsenal not to mention most live sound guys kit or video production guys head when booming a mic.

other very popular headphones that are time tested and audio pro approved are:

Sennheiser HD25
    Beyer Dynamic DT770

also in ear from Etymotic Research are great as well.

Cheers.

GG

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    We need a good audiophile thread and I am all ears.
    I wear headphones most of the day to dampen office noise and reduce interruptions due to office chatter.
    I have been looking at a a set of around the ear Bose noise canceling headphones model quiet comfort 15.
    What are your thoughts on them. I really need a comfortable set that is light weights, cool temperature wise and eliminates noise better. My studio monitors work well but they are heavy and hot.
    Thanks.

recordingwhiz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    Houston
    I guess it would depend on your budget, like anythign else.

I love the Klipsch X10 in ears, they are around $349 retail tho. they act very much like silicone earplugs with a high end driver attached.

The Bose (and pretty much all active noise cancelling headphones) uses phase canceation technology to kill ouside noises and requires bateries to opperate so that is something to consider. they are OK for killing continuous noise like road noise or jet engine noise but because of their nature in how they kill unwanted outside sound they also will effect the music you are playing and not in a flattering way IMHO. If you want great sound from your headphones, none of the active noise cancelling ones are that great for the reasons just stated. now the Bose earbuds are nice sounding but dont do much noise cancelation as they are a ported design.

all closed back headphones will get hot to you at some point just for the simple fact they are closed back, like ear muffs... (he he he I said muffs..lol)
    anyways thats the reason I went for in ears, I also have a set of future sonics and a pair of top of the line Shure's which are all great but I prefer the Klipsch.

hope that helps.

GG

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    A co-worker of mine used to have a set of ear buds that I could clearly hear when he was wearing them. The odd thing is that if they were just sitting on his desk I couldn't hear them at all. He puts them in his ears and boom, I can hear them. WTF is the deal with that?

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Ok, so you want some good headphones and don't have much $$ to spend. I have the answer for you!

For only $21.15 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Premium Hi-Fi DJ Style Over-the-Ear Pro Headphone | HeadPhones

$30 shipped and some darn good sound for that price. Just got some in yesterday and I really like them. My grados do sound a bit better, are lighter and better made but for $30 these guys don't disappoint. Don't go out there and buy some skull candy crap before you consider these.

Here's another review: Monoprice Hi-Fi DJ Style Headphone Review

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Great info guys.

Figure y'all might know, and there's probably plenty of us here with the same issue...

Is there anything out there that caters to those of us who have a constant ring in our ears? Its not that I can't hear the sound, its more like its fuzzy sometimes and the details get lost (e.g. conversation in a crowded room vs quiet one). Would an amplified set be the way to go for more clarity, or am I better off not spending $ on that since my hearing sucks?

Meanwhile, I'm hoping some sort of lasic for hearing gets invented.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Great info guys.

Figure y'all might know, and there's probably plenty of us here with the same issue...

Is there anything out there that caters to those of us who have a constant ring in our ears? Its not that I can't hear the sound, its more like its fuzzy sometimes and the details get lost (e.g. conversation in a crowded room vs quiet one). Would an amplified set be the way to go for more clarity, or am I better off not spending $ on that since my hearing sucks?

Meanwhile, I'm hoping some sort of lasic for hearing gets invented.

Next time you guys are shooting at Elm Fork maybe I can come. I keep mine in my car. You can try them and see if they make a difference.

Top Bottom