• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    After years of 0% or .2% cost of living raises, we retired folks are finally getting a whopping 2% increase starting January 1st.

I just received a letter from the SSA showing my new benefit amount. We are getting a 2% raise, but here's the kicker. The cost of medicare increased by....wait for it...exactly the same amount as the increase. For both me and the wife. That is a net increase of exactly 0 over last year. There was no explanation of the medicare increase in the letter

Why do they even bother. :banghead:
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Quit bitch'in, they could have given you no COLA and still raised your insurance premiums. I think the fact that Medicare is almost broke speaks to the raise. I was just glad it wasn't more than it was. It is still less than regular insurance or O'care for us old guys.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I presume you are joking, but yes, there are several.
    I'm only 3 years away...

ETA: I just checked, yes you were joking.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    It worked the same way the last time there was a meager SS COLA. Increase matched the Medicare increase to the penny. Imagine that.

But I'm not bitchin' It's still the least expensive health alternative for us old, retired folks.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Check my math.

Little Johnny's daddy gets $100 from Social Security in 2017. A 2% increase takes it to $102 in 2018.

In 2017, he paid out $10 to Medicare. In 2018, he will pay out $10.20.

So, in 2018, Little Johnny's dad will have an extra $1.80 to spend versus 2017.

Shucks ... looks like 2% of the bigger figure is bigger than 2% of the littler figure. So, Little Johnny's daddy actually won a valuable prize.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Check my math.

Little Johnny's daddy gets $100 from Social Security in 2017. A 2% increase takes it to $102 in 2018.

In 2017, he paid out $10 to Medicare. In 2018, he will pay out $10.20.

So, in 2018, Little Johnny's dad will have an extra $1.80 to spend versus 2017.

Shucks ... looks like 2% of the bigger figure is bigger than 2% of the littler figure. So, Little Johnny's daddy actually won a valuable prize.
    Except that isn't what happened.

The $ amount of the COLA increase is pretty much the amount of the Medicare related increases.

Last edited:

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    That is how the law is written. Called the "Hold harmless" clause. It allows the Medicare premium to go up only equal to the COLA so that supposedly no one getting medicare gets less after a COLA. Sadly what is ignored is the COLA is computed on a biased cost of living scale set up for working people. It is not scaled for retiree costs and incomes.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Check my math.

In 2017, he paid out $10 to Medicare. In 2018, he will pay out $12.00

So, in 2018, Little Johnny's dad will have an extra $0.00 to spend versus 2017.
    Fixed it for you.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    Yep. Last year I was still paying my Medicare premiums out of pocket because I hadn't started my SS yet. My premium went to the max, but my wife's did not change becasue she is drawing SS, and Congress gets hate mail when SS payments go down. Now I will get the 2%, but she will get the wash.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    SS is a only a supliment to your retirement
    You'd better not plan on waiting for the government to hand out raises and prepare for yourself as best you can

Since this is a bunch of old guys discussing our SS and MC bennies, I am pretty sure we already know that.

Last edited:

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Hell, now it'll only take three months to pay off a Tall Caffe Mocha at Starbucks with the increase ... were I so inclined.

Top Bottom