ARJ Defense ad

Softest recoil, SIG P238 .380 or Walther PPS 9mm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • river251

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2018
    In the desert
    Hi, my first post here. I have arthritis in my right wrist. I want to start carrying a handgun and must pocket carry. I want to get extremely good so want to practice (300 rounds 2 or 3 times a week). I have narrowed it to two guns which both fit into the front pocket of my pants.

1. Sig P238 (HD or Spartan all steel frame), small but fairly heavy at 21oz unloaded, shooting 380
    2. Walther PPS Mod 2. Larger gun, about the same weight 23oz, shooting 9mm.

Simple question: Which will be most comfortable (least recoil) for extensive target practice?

Thanks
    Jim
    Venture Surplus ad

Jigo23

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Have you compared the P238 with the P938? Just about the same size, but 9mm vs .380

river251

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2018
    In the desert
    Yes, I did shoot those two guns at a range. The P938 seemed unmanageable for me. After about 20 rounds I decided I would not want to own it. I have not shot the Walther, which seems like a gun that is easier to hold with a good grip. But yes, that P938 was too much to spend lots of time shooting, it would not be pleasant.

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    @ river251:
    I don't know about the Walther but I do have a Sig-Sauer P238 (it's my current EDC gun). Just based on caliber only (.380 ACP vs. 9mm Luger) -- and considering both guns are in the same ballpark weight-wise -- a 380 will have less recoil than a 9mm.
    Also, since you're going to be doing a whole lot (!) of shooting...compare ammo costs between the 2 calibers...or get into reloading! ;-)
    Given your "recoil issue" though, I'd forget 9mm (especially in a small Pocket Gun) and go with .380...but besides the P238, I'd also look at the Kimber Micro .380 -- the Sig & Kimber are almost identical in looks, function (1911 based) and both cost about the same (both are "upscale" firearms), so if you can afford a P238 you also can afford Kimber.
    And then there's the Colt Mustang Pocketlite .380 (also 1911-based)...not to mention OLDER ("vintage" but still very nice) .380 pistols of assorted brands foreign and domestic (including Colt, such as their "Colt Automatic Hammerless" .380 that goes WAY back (1903, 1908?), but a very fine gun nonetheless).
    One other thing: The Sig probably comes in more finish choices (a dozen or more?) than the Kimber does, if that's a factor in your decision. ;-)
    Good luck,
    -- BR
    (President, Open Carry El Paso)

Last edited:

river251

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2018
    In the desert
    Something else to look at is the Walther PK380. The slide is very easy to pull back and recoil is very mild. The grip is larger than some of the others mentioned which makes it comfortable to shoot.

That is a very nice looking gun, did not know about it. I'll try to find one to hold, it looks large though.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    The HD P238 soaks up all recoil. It has my vote for sofestest recoiling .380 gun and also my favorite .380 handgun by far with the Glock 42 in a close second.

My wife has carried her P238 nightmare for a year now and she loves it. I have had the HD P238 on my list for awhile now but havent had a chance to get one

Something else to look at is the Walther PK380. The slide is very easy to pull back and recoil is very mild. The grip is larger than some of the others mentioned which makes it comfortable to shoot.
    + 1 on The PK380. I have owned two and the slide is the easiest slide to pull back. The trigger blows in comparison to the P238 though

Jigo23

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Yes, I did shoot those two guns at a range. The P938 seemed unmanageable for me. After about 20 rounds I decided I would not want to own it. I have not shot the Walther, which seems like a gun that is easier to hold with a good grip. But yes, that P938 was too much to spend lots of time shooting, it would not be pleasant.

Roger that sir, being limited to pocket carry definitely limits the options. You’ll probably find any 9mm pocket pistol to have much the same issue then, polymer guns even worse due to the light weight. Good luck in your search, hope you can find one that is just right for you. I applaud your desire to find one that is comfortable (at least not painful) to practice with a lot since you will be carrying it. Many wouldn’t worry about that aspect.

river251

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2018
    In the desert
    Roger that sir, being limited to pocket carry definitely limits the options. You’ll probably find any 9mm pocket pistol to have much the same issue then, polymer guns even worse due to the light weight. Good luck in your search, hope you can find one that is just right for you. I applaud your desire to find one that is comfortable (at least not painful) to practice with a lot since you will be carrying it. Many wouldn’t worry about that aspect.

The prospect of pulling a gun and then not being able to hit anything with it seems worse than not having a gun. Plus I love shooting if it doesn't hurt.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I've never held either, but is it possible that the perceived "more" recoil is actually due to the fact that the grip of the P238 is narrower than other guns.

I know that BB+p in my Taurus 709 slim is very painfull, but it is due to the fact that it's such a narrow grip, & recoil is focused in a smaller area.
    Of course the BB+P is hot, so that factors in too, lol....

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I'm getting a whole lot more hand (two hands, even!) on the grip of the PPS than I get on a 238 or 938, hence perceived recoil is less with the PPS. It is however a lot more bitey on your trigger finger. None of these tiny guns are THAT pleasant to shoot for an extended session. The PPS being the most tolerable one of these.

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I don't find my P238 AT ALL unpleasant to shoot...the recoil is fine, and the P238s are EASY to shoot, even for extended periods -- within reason ("within reason" to be defined by the shooter in question). Also, I don't notice any "grip problem" with my 238 (I like "skinnier" single-stack guns) as I use the 7-shot extended magazines with the "X-Grip" on the bottom instead of the 6-shot OEM mags with no finger extension. Again, a VERY comfortable grip.
    I think the OP needs to go to a gun range and rent a 238 (and the other guns mentioned here) -- or borrow one from a friend -- to see which one is more comfortable grip & recoil-wise.
    However, I wouldn't want to shoot "hundreds of rounds" in ANY gun, let alone do that several times a week! Whether it's a handgun or long gun, I'm not at all interested in those kids of practice sessions. In fact, I hardly ever shoot my guns anyway -- don't have to as practice doesn't make me any better, and lack of practice doesn't make me any worse. My groups are the same regardless.
    Besides, for me shooting is incredibly boring, so I'm just not interested. For me, the gun is just a needed tool I carry, I'm not a so-called "gun nut" (and not really "into" guns much). ;-)
    -- BR

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I would also have to suggest the PK380. I bought one for my wife and I ended up shooting it more than her. Very easy slide to rack and manageable recoil. Take down is quirky, and you can't fire with the mag out but other than that it is a nice little package. I can't speak on the other two.

Texas Heat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    Have you checked out Springfield's new 911?
    https://www.springfield-armory.com/products/911-380-acp/

PG9109_R.jpg

homepage-slider-911-black-desktop.png

Attachments

• PG9109_L-XTension.jpg
      PG9109_L-XTension.jpg
      258.8 KB · Views: 258

15RTPlus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Recently watched a video comparing the P238 and 911. They are virtually identical. Reviewer felt the trigger was a little better on the 911.

The 911 comes with a holster that would be suitable for pocket carry.

Also, the Springfield mags will work in the Sig. Good because the Springer mags cost half what the Sig mags do.

FWIW

Jeff

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    You don't have to get OEM Sig magazines ($40 or more?)...there are alternatives (and I'm not talking about cheap/crap mags). I got my Sig P238 mags (both 6 and 7-shot) from Greg Cote, LLC, in Florida -- they all have worked flawlessly...and definitely cheaper than OEM Sig mags: http://www.gregcotellc.com/cart/sig-sauer-magazines-c-123/
    So shop around!
    My 3 OEM EAA 9mm Witness mags don't work at all when fully loaded, so I can't use them for carrying and trusting my life to them (I suppose they could be used for non-mission-critical practice sessions though). I'm really disappointed that EAA/Tangfolio can't make mags that work with their own guns! Instead, I got 3 Mec-Gar mags to replace them -- BIG difference and no problems even when loaded to the max, so I only carry Mec-Gars in my Witness.
    Will be sending the OEM mags back to EAA-USA -- they can have them and I'll never buy their OEM mags again.
    BTW, I didn't know about the Springfield 911...yes, it does look like a Sig P238. So now we have 3 quality/upscale guns in .380 ACP: Sig P238, Kimber Micro and Springfield 911.
    However, I hope the slide-stop pin/levers in the Kimber and Springfield don't fall out like (!) it does in the P238 (no, Sig in Exeter, NH, does not see that as a "defect" -- I asked!)...so you can't do the "Israeli Draw" with a 238...not sure you can with the Kimber or Springfield, either, but I don't know how their slide stop pin/lever works compared to Sig's. Just something to note if anyone gets a Sig 238: DO NOT cant the gun to the left and rack the slide!
    -- BR

Last edited:

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    No slide stop falling out on any of the micro 1911s in this household. Not the 238, not the 938, and not the micro 9 either. Now the fancy looking faux mother of pearl grips on the 238... those keep cracking.

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    [QUOTE="Kar98 No slide stop falling out on any of the micro 1911s in this household. Not the 238, not the 938, and not the micro 9 either.[/QUOTE]

It does with MY P238...
    I suggest anyone getting a P238 check it @ the gun store before buying...it isn't a defect (as Sig says, if they can be believed when I asked them about MY gun doing that) but if the gun is at the "problem" position, the slide stop CAN fall out while racking the slide. Fact. That could happen in some circumstances -- racking the slide when the gun is leaning left -- even if rare. Still, if the slide stop pin falls out, your gun is disabled -- and you probably also if in a confrontation situation. :-(
    I like the Tokarev TT-33's design: It uses a clip to keep the slide stop pin positively in place, no way for it to fall out if the gun is canted left. I'd like to see Sig add that clip.
    -- BR

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Is yours maybe an older one and they fixed it in later models? Because on aforementioned guns here, getting the slide stop out it is a freaking operation. Hold it just right, and push with a 5.56 tip so you can grab it.

Top Bottom