texcross

Well-Known
    Admin
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Sanger, TX
    hey all,

Soon will be working on switching TGT from VBulletin to Xenforo. there are loads of factors that lead to this decision, as much as I hate any change at all it's needed. I have actually put this off fo many many months.

I will try and have it look, feel and operate as it does now. I think with Xenforo the biggest change will be the PM system, which with a few plugins we can have it look and function likely better then it does now.

Going to test all this out first, will keep everyone posted here as we move forward!
    Hurley's Gold

smax

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Austin, TX

ZeR0BuG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    SE, TX
    I'm assuming it's partly related to this?
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/vbulletin-hack-exposes-820-000-accounts-from-126-forums-513416.shtml
    https://www.troyhunt.com/i-just-added-another-140-data-breaches-to-have-i-been-pwned/ (TGT is #12 on the list with 29,476 distinct emails)

I'm actually kind of surprised there isn't a sitewide announcement suggesting all users change their passwords (as well as those for any sites where they're using the same passwords).
    Came here just to ask the same question.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    hey all,

....Going to test all this out first, will keep everyone posted here as we move forward!

This is the part my mind focused on. Every system that changes causes some glitches and tons of complaints - and too many times those could be avoided if the new software was test driven a bit more.

texcross

Well-Known
    Admin
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Sanger, TX
    actually it's a stats change the reason for the change. no passwords were taken. not to mention we were up to date and the server folks watching the place did not see any sort of activity like that. certainly not log in attempts. The site will stay the same, just a software change so some of the lingo may be different like when posting an ew thread, etc. However most folks like the change especially accessing it via phone.

texcross

Well-Known
    Admin
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Sanger, TX
    I have been pondering the software change literally 9 months or more. The site has hacked hard in 2012, down for some time. May still be some lingering system issues from that, etc. After much consideration, chatting with much of folks and so on, it seems time for the future of the site to change. Loads of forums owners have been changing, most I know that are a part of a group that share good tips with one another run massive sites changed long ago.

I sure hate change, but long term this could be great for the site.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    VBulletin is crap.

Xenforo is the original Jelsoft team's product (great guys, BTW), and is what they originally intended to be vBulletin 4 before iB made Kevin the lead, arguments happened, lawsuits happened, and then ultimately the whole product went to pot (in my not so humble opinion). All of this is public and available to read, has been for years actually, if anyone is curious.

texcross

Well-Known
    Admin
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Sanger, TX
    you nailed it - hence why i did not go to vbulletin 5 - which would be easier and far cheaper. not at all worth it

VBulletin is crap.

Xenforo is the original Jelsoft team's product (great guys, BTW), and is what they originally intended to be vBulletin 4 before iB made Kevin the lead, arguments happened, lawsuits happened, and then ultimately the whole product went to pot (in my not so humble opinion). All of this is public and available to read, has been for years actually, if anyone is curious.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Well let me know if you want any help or guidance. It's been a (long) while, but ... well I don't want to overshare on a public forum.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom