Solar systems...looking for information

Discussion in 'Home Preparedness and Shelters' started by vmax, Jun 10, 2018.

1. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Can You Dig It?

Jan 5, 2012
    Killeen
    I was hoping someone would correct the math if I was wrong. You helped me out too. Thank You, Mr Fringe.

Yep. Industrial lighting. Parallel, with a constant voltage driver. Or in series with constant current driver.

One nominal 50v COB led ran at 53volts max, 2200ma will produce in the neighborhood of 50k-70k lux at a distance of 12" from the surface of the chip. Having more then one allows that 50-70k to cover more area. (The 50k lux is a low figure)

My biggest deal on the new LEDs is the possibility to grow free food using solar power. Talk about a SHTF tool.

Being able to grow lettuce, carrots, garlic, tomatoes... Inside, secure, and under the radar. Using nothing but LEDs and solar power. You could station in one place and have a never ending food supply. Without having to leave or expose yourself.

Any food stock that grows under low to medium light would be perfect. High sun light plants like Corn would take a lot more power from the system. Food stocks that are grown in winter would take the less power.

I find this stuff fascinating.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  2. vmax

vmax TGT Addict

Apr 15, 2013
    Yeah, come to think of it, a guy, like yourself, for instance, could grow all sorts of “plants” with the right LED lights and a solar power system....:D

TxStetson and grasshopperglock like this.
  3. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Can You Dig It?

Jan 5, 2012
    Killeen
    Not ever in Texas unless President Trump sets things straight. Then Oh YeAh, those plants too. I'd have a full botanical garden going. Using nothing but green technology. Tech that the no good stoners advanced. Good things can happen if it's applied to other stuff like food or lighting your house for pennies.

Gone are the days of LEDs being crap and Solar panel systems not being worth a $hit.

4. seeker_two

seeker_two Well-Known

Jul 1, 2008