• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I’m wanting to talk to someone who has actually put together a solar power system. I want to buy a kit or assemble a working system from sub-assemblies. I want this for my new structure/workshop. I only plan to have circuits for lights and some 110 plugs. I plan on keeping the lighting 12V so that power won’t have to be ran through the inverter.

I’m looking at 200 watts to start with. For those who have done this, do you have any advice?
    Guns International

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Yea the technology has made amazing leaps and bounds in the last decade for sure.

Im sorry I dont have any direct input. Do yer homework:shades:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I've never really done it except for remote monitoring stations, but this is helpful. The only thing I disagree with in the article is the florescent lighting. I would go with LED.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/installing-your-own-small-remote-off-grid-solar-system/

+1

LEDs are the wave of the future. From quantum boards to Chips On a Board (COBs). One COB in the right voltage can light a room bigger then 100 square feet better the fluorescence bulbs by a factor 3-5. With super-super low degradation of spectrum or intensity. You can buy American made, 'Cree'. Or buy Chinese, 'Luminous'.

4 COBs can be ran full open with a voltage of 36 to 54 volts at 300 watts. That's more then enough for say, a really big kitchen or huge living room. Same thing with quantum boards. Thousands of hours of more life span verses the Fluorescence stuff. It's all dimmable too.

No mercury involved either. Some of the modern LED stuff is even horticultural. You can grow food inside using a fraction of the power it would normally take.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I wouldn't even consider florescent lighting any longer
    With a limited system like I want, my focus is on watt hours.
    If I understand it correctly, a 200 watt 12 volt system gives you 2400 watt hours enough to run a 100 watt bulb for 24 hours.
    But that assumes you run your battery down to 0 , which you shouldn’t do.
    LEDs use a fraction of that so it lets you manage your power to run other AC needs

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I've been inadvertently coming across a lot of solar power parts. It seems you can build the system piece by individual piece.

The way I know to figure required wattage is Volts X Amps = Watts.

So an LED with a nominal voltage of 50volts being ran at 1400ma.

50X1.4= 70 watts required to power it at 50v, 1400 milliamp.

If you use more then one. Say three.

3 x voltage of each. Times. 3 x the amps.

150volts X 4.2amps= 630 watts.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Yes, and I will have a about a 3000 watt inverter that takes the 12 volt DC to AC. That’s not what I was talking about though...

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I have been playing with Solar for years and found it to be very useful. In fact the BIG opportunity in solar is in micro installs, now yours is a bit beyond that but still doable. LED's have become a game changer for the world of solar.

I have had solar on my 16 ft cattle gate then comes into my property for over 6 years. I had a 20 watt panel on top of shortened telephone pole at the proper angle of elevation and I split the difference between winter angle and summer angle of direction. NOTE this is KEY to success, the tilt and angle of direction are what keep the system working. For my app, the angle of elevation is 61 degrees and direction is 180 degrees.

Here is how I cal that: Best angle of elevation is 84 degrees in June, best in Dec is 38 degrees. Split the diff gives you 61 degrees. I compensate by going with a 20 watt panel when a 10 watt might do, but its not my goal to climb that pole several times a year to change the angle.

Cal your angle of elevation: http://solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-angle-calculator.html

Your next challenge is battery storage: For that my go to is Odyssey I have one that is 15 years old, been in 3 different trucks and now powers my gate.

It is an Odyssey 31M, for your app you might want to consider the 31M or 34M but I think your best choice would be the PC2250 which is what I would use in a perm set up. The 31/34 can be used in cars and trucks. http://www.odysseybattery.com/extreme_battery_specs.aspx

They are not cheap, but they have a duty life cycle of 10 years +. I bought 2 several years ago from an outfit that gave free shipping and they had the best price.

Calculate your requirements based upon winter time sun, this will increase the size of your solar array and the number of batteries you need.

Last edited:

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    So an LED with a nominal
    3 x voltage of each. Times. 3 x the amps.

150volts X 4.2amps= 630 watts.
    No... pick one to do 3x...
    Wire in parallel (recommended) will be 50V x 4.2A = 210W
    Wire in series (like old school X-mas lights) will be 150V x 1.4A = 210W

210W of LEDs will be very bright... like 20,000 lumens... not an indoor light unless you're talking warehouse lighting.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    No... pick one to do 3x...
    Wire in parallel (recommended) will be 50V x 4.2A = 210W
    Wire in series (like old school X-mas lights) will be 150V x 1.4A = 210W

210W of LEDs will be very bright... like 20,000 lumens... not an indoor light unless you're talking warehouse lighting.

I was hoping someone would correct the math if I was wrong. You helped me out too. Thank You, Mr Fringe.

Yep. Industrial lighting. Parallel, with a constant voltage driver. Or in series with constant current driver.

One nominal 50v COB led ran at 53volts max, 2200ma will produce in the neighborhood of 50k-70k lux at a distance of 12" from the surface of the chip. Having more then one allows that 50-70k to cover more area. (The 50k lux is a low figure)

My biggest deal on the new LEDs is the possibility to grow free food using solar power. Talk about a SHTF tool.

Being able to grow lettuce, carrots, garlic, tomatoes... Inside, secure, and under the radar. Using nothing but LEDs and solar power. You could station in one place and have a never ending food supply. Without having to leave or expose yourself.

Any food stock that grows under low to medium light would be perfect. High sun light plants like Corn would take a lot more power from the system. Food stocks that are grown in winter would take the less power.

I find this stuff fascinating.

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013

Being able to grow lettuce, carrots, garlic, tomatoes... Inside, secure, and under the radar. Using nothing but LEDs and solar power. You could station in one place and have a never ending food supply. Without having to leave or expose yourself.

Any food stock that grows under low to medium light would be perfect. High sun light plants like Corn would take a lot more power from the system. Food stocks that are grown in winter would take the less power.

I find this stuff fascinating.
    Yeah, come to think of it, a guy, like yourself, for instance, could grow all sorts of “plants” with the right LED lights and a solar power system....:D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Yeah, come to think of it, a guy, like yourself, for instance, could grow all sorts of “plants” with the right LED lights and a solar power system....:D

Not ever in Texas unless President Trump sets things straight. Then Oh YeAh, those plants too. I'd have a full botanical garden going. Using nothing but green technology. Tech that the no good stoners advanced. Good things can happen if it's applied to other stuff like food or lighting your house for pennies.

Gone are the days of LEDs being crap and Solar panel systems not being worth a $hit.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I installed the solar security lights under my new carport and they are perfect
    They stay on after dark at low power and come on bright..as shown, for 30 seconds after detecting motion
    20180622_220514.jpg

Top Bottom