• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    I can't cite any specific cases, but "constructive intent" is real. IMO, it's pretty vague and allows them too much leeway for their own interpretation of whether a law was actually broken. Sort of like if a man has a penis, then he could be considered a rapist!

I think it (constructive intent) may be a pretense for a warrant. Like, if you can be shown to have bought an auto sear, it is reasonable to assume you will use it in the construction of a class 3 weapon. If you don't have a tax stamp (which is easily discernable) then you "may" have a problem. Especially if you have a receiver and other parts that could be used to "construct" a functional class 3 weapon. If other criminal activity is discovered subsequent to the service of the warrant......well, there you go. Just my own opining.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Only problem with that argument is the sear is the machinegun.

The solvent trap is not a suppressor.

I think it (constructive intent) may be a pretense for a warrant. Like, if you can be shown to have bought an auto sear, it is reasonable to assume you will use it in the construction of a class 3 weapon. If you don't have a tax stamp (which is easily discernable) then you "may" have a problem. Especially if you have a receiver and other parts that could be used to "construct" a functional class 3 weapon. If other criminal activity is discovered subsequent to the service of the warrant......well, there you go. Just my own opining.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Let's just say that someone has some threaded adapter for whatever, and also has a bunch of lawn mower mufflers that fit the other end of that adapter, but doesn't have a lawnmower........some other odds and ends.....and then they fall onto someone's radar.........as Ricky said......."Lucy, You got some 'splaining to do".

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Only problem with that argument is the sear is the machinegun.

The solvent trap is not a suppressor.
    Auto sears can also be made out of paper clips. Have I done it? No. Will I do it? No.

The point is you can modify a lot of things into other than the intended purpose and having all of the necessary components together in one place may demonstrate "constructive intent" in a federal court.

I would personally be careful about having a kit like that......and suspicious about the source of the kit.

Just my opinion. YMMV

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I guess I don't get your point.

If you turn a paperclip into a sear then you have created a machine gun that is illegal. Unless you have the correct license.

If you do not modify a paper clip its just a paper clip

If you have a solvent trap or oil filter adapter and filters then that is what you have. Now if the trap or filter has a hole though it you have created a suppressor and again without the proper paperwork you could meet bubba.

I am not a NFA attorney and do not think the law is clear or proven on if its legal to buy parts to make a suppressor so do so at your own risk.

As far as I know how the laws are written NOW its perfectly fine to own any type of solvent trap as long as you leave it a solvent trap.

Auto sears can also be made out of paper clips. Have I done it? No. Will I do it? No.

The point is you can modify a lot of things into other than the intended purpose and having all of the necessary components together in one place may demonstrate "constructive intent" in a federal court.

I would personally be careful about having a kit like that......and suspicious about the source of the kit.

Just my opinion. YMMV

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    It's legal to buy a
    I guess I don't get your point.

If you turn a paperclip into a sear then you have created a machine gun that is illegal. Unless you have the correct license.

If you do not modify a paper clip its just a paper clip

If you have a solvent trap or oil filter adapter and filters then that is what you have. Now if the trap or filter has a hole though it you have created a suppressor and again without the proper paperwork you could meet bubba.

I am not a NFA attorney and do not think the law is clear or proven on if its legal to buy parts to make a suppressor so do so at your own risk.

As far as I know how the laws are written NOW its perfectly fine to own any type of solvent trap as long as you leave it a solvent trap.
    It's legal to buy all the parts. Because it is legal to make one once you file a form 1 it's approved and you pay $200

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    This seems simple...?

An 80% lower is a paperweight until the remaining 20% is machined. Then it’s a “firearm”.

These solvent traps are just pieces of metal until it’s machined. Then it’s a “suppressor”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    "Constructive intent" is a thing with BATFE.....even if you don't intend to construct.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    I dont see how owning an undrilled solvent trap is "constructive intent " to build a suppressor, any more than owning a stripped lower shows intent to building an SBR.

I have a lower in the safe, and pistol length uppers. I INTEND to register that lower one day as an SBR. Not a crime in my eyes until i construct without postage.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Dead Roman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    Pearland
    Perfectly legal. Solvent traps are a great way to lower your chemical waste output and recycle costly solvents. Every gun owner should have, and use them, regularly.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    Perfectly legal. Solvent traps are a great way to lower your chemical waste output and recycle costly solvents. Every gun owner should have, and use them, regularly.
    Environmentalist will love it!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom