• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    I took my newly built AR to the range today to have some fun with my Huntertown Arms Kestrel 556 can. The AR lower is the Texas Flag lower from Runner Runner. The upper is an AeroPrecision with a Voodoo barrel, Diamondhead VRS 13" free float rail, and a SLR Rifleworks adjustable gas block. I have a mid-length gas system on this rifle, so it took some extra gas to get it to run unsuppressed. But, after I got it dialed in, it ran great. Adjusting the gas block to go from unsuppresed to suppressed use was super easy.

photo 1.jpg

Performance of the Kestrel 556 was what I expected... I was running Monarch 55 grain FMJ .223 through the rifle. Not the best stuff for suppressed use, but there isn't much out there in 223/556 that is subsonic. Under the roof, sound was on the edge of hearing safe. Out in the open, the sound level was much more tolerable. The majority of the noise came from the sonic crack, which the can doesn't help with. On the plus side, POI didn't really shift at all for me.

After I finished enjoying the AR for the day, I decided to have some fun with a Beretta 21A Tomcat. I put a threaded barrel on this pistol about six months ago. This little pistol is meant to be the host for a mini 22 can I have in jail, but I figured since the pistol and the Kestrel were threaded the same, why not try it out?

photo 2.jpg

The Kestrel is heavier than the pistol, so I had to support the can with my off hand, LOL! It worked surprisingly well, though I couldn't aim at all. Suppression was great. I wish I had some subs to run through it.
    DK Firearms

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Glad to see your write up. I am currently waiting on the stamp for my Kestrel. About a month left (fingers crossed).

Can't wait.

Did you get stainless baffles with yours?

Top Bottom