• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Been prepping for a while now for everything else except for cold weather. I will be addressing my cold weather deficiencies now.

I did find some minor issues for preparations because of the weather. Biggest one was the water outage problem. Second was heating.

Heating because we never lost power wasn't a problem, but if we had lost power, it could have been a problem. One that is going to be addressed shortly.

Loss of water, I wasn't as prepared as we needed to be. So far, not a life threatening issue, but something I need to address and correct for any future events. I am going to do some thinking and research on a better way to store a larger amount of water for out needs in the future.

Though it wasn't needed, I also plan on getting a larger generator as well.

Reactions: gll

Leadeye

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 29, 2020
    Great Southern Forest of Indiana
    I was surprised at how many varieties of chains are available for equipment. I remember seeing them on log skitters in the past and was happy to see that they were available for my Kubota. I have 1100 feet of the driveway that is at a 10% + grade, after sliding down to the county road I had to get back up to the barn by going cross country.

We've been doing OK, plenty of supplies, the wife has "getoutitis" though. Thanks for your kind thoughts.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I was surprised at how many varieties of chains are available for equipment. I remember seeing them on log skitters in the past and was happy to see that they were available for my Kubota. I have 1100 feet of the driveway that is at a 10% + grade, after sliding down to the county road I had to get back up to the barn by going cross country.

We've been doing OK, plenty of supplies, the wife has "getoutitis" though. Thanks for your kind thoughts.

You're welcome. Glad to hear you and the family are weathering the cold weather. Should be warming up soon I hope.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Loss of water, I wasn't as prepared as we needed to be. So far, not a life threatening issue, but something I need to address and correct for any future events. I am going to do some thinking and research on a better way to store a larger amount of water for out needs in the future.

I thought i did pretty well except my garage got below freezing and some of my water out there froze & busted.

I will have to find a better place for water during cold weather, or fire off a propane heater for parts of the day out there.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Only thing we really needed but did not have was antibiotics.
    separated our 18 year old cat from the two new dogs and got bit by the cat for my efforts. Could not drive to doctor until yesterday ( had to go to ER as first 3 Doc in the Box’s were closed, then a 40 mile drive to the only open pharmacy with amoxicillin in stock.
    Hand is half the size it was yesterday after antibiotics and if I could have started them the day I got bit, I think I would have been able to miss seeing a doctor at all.
    Ordering fish mox

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    It seems there are always a couple bottles of antibiotics with just a couple left in it at our house over the years. & kids and me were always into something. I always kept them even if expired just for situations like this.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    It seems there are always a couple bottles of antibiotics with just a couple left in it at our house over the years. & kids and me were always into something. I always kept them even if expired just for situations like this.
    Obligatory picture of hand 24 hours after starting antibiotics. It was much more swollen before this.
    953A13AE-7AC7-4ECD-9C39-6A85A35A79B8.jpeg

if your water goes out, and you can’t drive to a doctor, having antibiotics can save you some discomfort.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Living in the 21st century we completely take for granted things like running water, electric heat on demand, antibiotics, etc.
    A good way to think is to imagine yourself in 1870, and think about what from 2021 would make things easier.

AC3D2BD4-8C3E-4561-A8E5-CBDA746A25AC.jpeg
    Things like this were often fatal 150 years ago. ( pic from this morning, much less swollen) Glad I had the presence of mind to take wedding ring off immediately after the bite or I would have had an entirely separate set of problems to go with the infection.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Living in the 21st century we completely take for granted things like running water, electric heat on demand, antibiotics, etc.
    A good way to think is to imagine yourself in 1870, and think about what from 2021 would make things easier.

View attachment 245377 Things like this were often fatal 150 years ago. ( pic from this morning, much less swollen) Glad I had the presence of mind to take wedding ring off immediately after the bite or I would have had an entirely separate set of problems to go with the infection.

Care to inform us about what bit you?

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Care to inform us about what bit you?
    It’s in post 48 ;), but wiseass answer aside it was my 18 year old cat. New dogs mixed it up with him ( both dogs and the cat are fine) and I took a bite from the cat for my efforts in getting him out of Okami’s mouth.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    It’s in post 48 ;), but wiseass answer aside it was my 18 year old cat. New dogs mixed it up with him ( both dogs and the cat are fine) and I took a bite from the cat for my efforts in getting him out of Okami’s mouth.

I somehow missed a few posts, thanks.

Top Bottom