Hurley's Gold

Some may wonder how this relates to prepping...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Last year I had a dismal garden, I was infested by insects, way to damn many. So today, after watching some y-tube videos, I decided to start building this. For this build, I plan to leave this "natural", I may apply some type of oil or clear finish to act as a preservative. My project is once again constructed from raiding the jobsite garbage piles. It is not finished, I plan on adding some details to make this different, bedsides the porch posts, I'm am thinking about a chimney to class it up.

birdhouse 1.jpg
    birdhouse 2.jpg
    birdhouse 3.jpg

I am hoping to attract some martens and this will be mounted on a post and I intend to build several more. Eventually as I mentioned before I want to start a side gig, this is just a way to get some practice at making things.
    Lynx Defense

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Our garden did ok, but we had a peach tree that was just old enough this year to start producing fruit.
    Started seeing dozens coming in and then they were gone before they matured. We think it was birds that were getting them.
    Got a game camera for this summer to find out if the thieves are the birds or squirrels.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Very nice Martin house. My uncle had a commercially produced one on his farm in upstate NY; never attracted a Purple Martin nor any other bird as far as I am aware. He was very disappointed. His looked very much just like this one:

1675816611233.png

Good luck with yours hope it attracts them.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    My cousins father and next door neighbor had one many years ago, until it became to much for him to maintain. He is now deceased.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    Our old neighbor, now deceased, had marten houses. He told me that if the martens leave, and sometimes even if they don't, sparrows will move in. Sparrows are dirty and martens are clean. The marten houses have to be cleaned thoroughly or the martens won't move back in, and sparrows have to be kept away. I don't remember what he did to keep the sparrows out.

Top Bottom