• ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    agree with all but the processor part. I have meat grinders, etc and have done it for 40 years.

Sgt. Beardface

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2023
    Cibolo
    Really is a little hot to be messing with quartering feral pig unless you are very fast and good with your knives.

Just shoot them and leave them when it is hot. You will get less lice , fleas etc on you if you shoot them when it is cold and leave them on the ground for 10-15 minutes.

Don’t worry about hurting the population. For every one you kill, 23 are born and of that 23 that are born 37 of them survive
    Best thing I have read on the internet in quite some time. Thank you for that.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    The only part of vermin you want to save is what ever is required for any bounty if any. Otherwise just let them lay where they fall. They will be gone in no time.

Wild hogs in Texas are essentially vermin. If I were to hunt tgem for meat I would be very particular of which I picked and time of year and may even have a processor picked out to do it right.
    If you were really into them for meat live trapping them, then into a pen. This way you can wait until cold weather.

I really can't imagine frying chicarones in this weather.

Jim Lahey

Zor!
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2022
    Edgewood Tx
    Look whats at my feeder, i need some extra guns to help me drop some of these
    IMG_5027.jpeg

Jim Lahey

Zor!
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2022
    Edgewood Tx
    Question, what if i shot a nice sized hog in the summer and used my truck winch with a snatch block on a tree to lift it in the air and then pressures wash the entire outside of the hog and skinned it in the air afterwards, would that make it safer? i could even spray alcohol or peroxide all over the skin of the hog and let it sit for a few mins then pressure wash. is this hopeful thinking?

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Well, they certainly can. They can carry a lot of things. Then again, pretty much 80% of what they carry, deer carry. There isn't a vertebrate species alive that doesn't carry parasites and diseases.

The only people I have known to get sick from eating feral hogs are the people that didn't fully cook their meat.

The only people I have know to get sick from eating deer meat are people that didn't fully cook their meat.
    Do they get warbles, or is that Mostly a rabbit Thing?

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    We get it; you want to try the meat. The best advice is to wait until later in the year.

BUT, if you just can't wait, there's a summer alternative. Go to an international food store/bazaar. Buy a serving of haggis and a durian, and then bring them home and let them sit in your truck in the sun for an hour or so. Take the haggis and carefully remove a scoop out of the middle with a spoon. Then replace that part with a big dollup of Doc's Catfish Getter soft bait. Smash up the durian fruit and roll the haggis in the pulp, making sure to cover it all. Plate it, then drizzle with castor oil. Garnish with a bruised Japanese knotweed leaf. Enjoy.

It'll taste slightly better than a summer hog, you're less likely to catch a terrifying disease or get a parasitic infestation, and worst case you get the shits and lose a few pounds.

Late fall, shoot 2, fry a cube of the fat, and see if you're one of the lucky ones who isn't sensitive to Boar Taint.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Question, what if i shot a nice sized hog in the summer and used my truck winch with a snatch block on a tree to lift it in the air and then pressures wash the entire outside of the hog and skinned it in the air afterwards, would that make it safer? i could even spray alcohol or peroxide all over the skin of the hog and let it sit for a few mins then pressure wash. is this hopeful thinking?
    You can do whatever you want, that don't me you should. I cut meat for 36 years and the bacteria living in the hogs flesh is far worse then the fleas, ticks & chigger on the outside. In the food service industry they have the Danger Zone. For cold food 40 degrees is high end. The hog your wanting to slaughter most likely has a internal temperature of 98.6 degrees just like use. The idea is get it gutted the get it chilled down ASAP.

Now if you have a cold room or walk in cooler where you would could go after power washing it great. The subject of skin on or skin off. Learn to process a hog with some Mexicans & enjoy the chicharrones with some ice cold beers & some one else preparing the pluck.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Shoot the little football sized ones and eat that. Probably hasn't lived long enough to catch anything. Then again it might.
    Most animals are slaughtered as babies, at a very small portion of their natural life span, regardless of whether they are raised conventionally or in operations that are labelled "humane", "sustainable", "natural", "free range", "cage free", "heritage bred", "grass fed", "local" or "organic".

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Ima have to set up a hunt, hopefully this time they dont have worms, i wanna eat one of these hogs lol. Does anyone have like a checklist for checking if a hog is safe to eat. I will be smoking most of the meat’s harvested.
    Brother- I wouldn’t eat one of those nasty-ass things on a bet. My honest advice- shoot those hogs until you either run out of ammo, or run out of hogs.

Top Bottom