Hurley's Gold

Some Old Trooper/Cowboy had too much time?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    I bought this thing a good number of years ago because it is weird, alot like me.
    Actually I bought it partly because no one wanted it and at the time it's only saving grace was the pistol-grip attachment on it. A RARE and expensive part to find especially an original one.
    This rifle began it's life as an early 1875 or before Model 1873 Springfield Rifle. It came from an estate farm auction near Galena, Illinois. (The Home of US Grant) I have to assume it belonged to a former Soldier (Trooper) from Texas. Because of the Star carved on the stock. This guy had alot of time on his hands and was really creative in repurposing this Trapdoor Rifle. Obviously he was right handed by the way that only the left side of the forestock is very finely checkered where the left hand would grip it. The right side of the wrist is checkered. The rear swept hammer spur is neat too. The carved and checkered riser block of Walnut for the rear sight. The shortened barrel and full length shortened stock and making a barrel band into a front sight. Then to attach an Officers Model Carbine cast steel pistol grip attachment was surprising. The rawhide Cartridge holder fitted and brass tacked to the buttstock was genius. The sights are dead on at 100 yards. That original pistol grip attachment is worth hundreds! I believe I got it for my opening bid of $50.00. Then I took the lock off! And cleaned it!!!
    Who knows, lots of antiques and furniture at that auction too.
    f196959db6f8b6b1281bb1d79f9d7c1c.jpg
    d6.jpg
    8f.jpg
    239.jpg
    a98.jpg
    DSC_0158-aaa.jpg
    ARJ Defense ad

Attachments

• DSC_0156 a.jpg
      DSC_0156 a.jpg
      374.3 KB · Views: 167
    • DSC_0156-a.jpg
      DSC_0156-a.jpg
      59.3 KB · Views: 155
    • DSC_0156-a.jpg
      DSC_0156-a.jpg
      59.3 KB · Views: 160
    • DSC_0158 a.jpg
      DSC_0158 a.jpg
      362.9 KB · Views: 154

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Haven't been to Galena in decades. I miss the upper midwest, especially in the fall. Nice score.
    I grew up in the hills around Galena hunting and fishing. Running in the hills of Apple River Canyon and Palisades along the Mississippi River. Lots of history there. My family moved ther from Ohio in 1835 just at the end of the Blackhawk Indian Wars. I have a US Model 1817 Common Rifle that was used at the Battle of Kellogg's Grove in September of 1832. A young militia Officer in the Illinois Volunteers, Abraham Lincoln was there and his subordinate Jefferson Davis. Two years ago we dedicated a large bronze of Abe Lincoln in his fringed frontier clothing.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    That's neat. we didn't get up there often. Usually made it to Starved Rock or Springfield on family trips. Seems like forever ago.

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    That's neat. we didn't get up there often. Usually made it to Starved Rock or Springfield on family trips. Seems like forever ago.
    I am very familiar of the area from Galena to LaSalle (Starved Rock) It is really not flatland Illinois. Some great deer hunting too. It's too bad that just one of you guys were to come here and see this junk first hand. Almost obscene... lol

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    I like that though I know little about them.

If that rifle ever is available for sale, please let me know.
    I rarely ever sell anything. On occasion I do trade sometimes but that is not often. For the most part i can usually afford many things that I want (within reason) because I have a supervisor (wife).
    The expensive part of this gun is the pistol grip attachment. It is from an Officer's 1875 Model Springfield Trapdoor Carbine. I have been offered $1500 just for that piece. The whole thing is a true piece of Old West Art.
    If it should be an issue I'll let people here know.
    Check out the prices of and Officers Model 1875 Carbine.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    Beautiful rifle sir!
    I’ll be going to Indy in a few weeks, going up to pick up some old guns.
    if you’re anywhere between Cairo and Effingham, hit me up, I’ll buy you lunch.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I am very familiar of the area from Galena to LaSalle (Starved Rock) It is really not flatland Illinois. Some great deer hunting too. It's too bad that just one of you guys were to come here and see this junk first hand. Almost obscene... lol
    I vowed to never step foot in Illinois after my dad died. One of my great nieces asked when I'd be back I I told her not even for your grandmothers funeral.

John do you remember an estate that had armor on the grounds? The former estate owner was a col. or general in WWII. Funny how ones mind can bring up shit from 50 years ago but forget to turn off the light that you just reminded yourself to turn off when you come in!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Beautiful rifle sir!
    Effingham on time home of Black Jack Classic Blades. Got one right here on the computer table. It's a AWAC Effingham marked.

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Beautiful rifle sir!
    Hey!
    That would be wonderful but I am way out of range for that. I am stuck in the ANTIFA combat zone Between Chicago and Milwaukee on the shores of Lake Michigan. You do not want to come here believe me! MS13 has a strong presence here too. The funny thing is THEY think I am "muy loco" and give me chest pump respect.
    It IS a weird world.
    I do not travel well with health issues and a bad ticker.
    Thanks for the offer!
    John

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    I vowed to never step foot in Illinois after my dad died. One of my great nieces asked when I'd be back I I told her not even for your grandmothers funeral.

John do you remember an estate that had armor on the grounds? The former estate owner was a col. or general in WWII. Funny how ones mind can bring up shit from 50 years ago but forget to turn off the light that you just reminded yourself to turn off when you come in!

Except for the WWII reference this sounds like Cantigny Park.

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    That's the place! It's been at least 50 years since I was there so I guess getting the world war wrong is nothing but a senior moment!
    Yes. I am quite familiar with it. The Democraps keep it pretty closed up now. It is about 20 minutes from where I live.
    Stay out of Illinois! Now known as "The People's Republic of Pritzker'

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I bought this thing a good number of years ago because it is weird, alot like me.
    Actually I bought it partly because no one wanted it and at the time it's only saving grace was the pistol-grip attachment on it. A RARE and expensive part to find especially an original one.
    This rifle began it's life as an early 1875 or before Model 1873 Springfield Rifle. It came from an estate farm auction near Galena, Illinois. (The Home of US Grant) I have to assume it belonged to a former Soldier (Trooper) from Texas. Because of the Star carved on the stock. This guy had alot of time on his hands and was really creative in repurposing this Trapdoor Rifle. Obviously he was right handed by the way that only the left side of the forestock is very finely checkered where the left hand would grip it. The right side of the wrist is checkered. The rear swept hammer spur is neat too. The carved and checkered riser block of Walnut for the rear sight. The shortened barrel and full length shortened stock and making a barrel band into a front sight. Then to attach an Officers Model Carbine cast steel pistol grip attachment was surprising. The rawhide Cartridge holder fitted and brass tacked to the buttstock was genius. The sights are dead on at 100 yards. That original pistol grip attachment is worth hundreds! I believe I got it for my opening bid of $50.00. Then I took the lock off! And cleaned it!!!
    Who knows, lots of antiques and furniture at that auction too. View attachment 261787 View attachment 261788 View attachment 261789 View attachment 261790 View attachment 261791 View attachment 261798
    A beautiful work of Americana Art.. thanks for posting

Top Bottom