• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    Many people are hesitant to use primers they aren't familiar with, or that they don't recognize the box they're in. Here's a few primers I've had or still have in a progression of dates.

abi.sized.jpg

Alcan has been out of business since the 1970s, but there hasn't been any problem with the function of their primers or the RWS they marketed. Some of the CCI are from the 1960s, but I've used about all of them. The older Remington and Winchester have wooden dividers to keep the primers apart in their rows and I think I've used about all of them too.

I once bought 7,000 CCI in the old green and white boxes and I haven't had any primer failures from any brand I have. There hasn't been any special care given to them, so that evidently isn't a factor to worry about. So, in a time of shortages, it may pay to look around the LGS and see if they have any old primers lurking around!

Here's the 1000s of old CCI I'm still using, but it looks like there is about 10,000 there.

aak.jpg
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Primers are pretty moisture resistant. As long as they are kept in reasonable conditions, they should be good for many years. I have a friend of a friend who "bakes" his primers to remove moisture. I do not know his exact procedure, but have heard he is quirky and Anal-retentive. He makes his own lube and has pioneered a break through process to make cannon barrels

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    The last picture was taken in an old 8'X32' mobile home I had my loading stuff in, It wasn't climate controlled unless I was in there, so it wasn't properly taken care of. I had another loading room after that one and I'm now in my 3rd designated loading area, that looks like this now.
    1012486_626218440774661_533880961_n.jpg

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I wish companies would go back to the small boxes like the CCIs pictured.

A box of Federal match primers is almost as big as a box of rifle ammo. Just a few boxes take up a whole lot of space.

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    Yes, the old style boxes work better for me also! I guess that's why I still have quite a few and tend to buy Remington, who still uses small boxes.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Say, can rifle primers be used in pistols?

Can or should? Small rifle and small pistol are almost identical in size. I believe the only real difference is the cup thickness. Large rifle and large pistol however ARE different. The large rifle is taller than the large pistol. If you tried to seat it, it will mash and possibly go off.

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    I use small rifle primers in .357 Mag and .40 S&W even though they are normally loaded with small pistol primers. I feel the hotter loads in the small primer size can use just a little bit harder cup to help hold the pressure. They just need enough hammer force to make them fire, so I usually shoot single action with a standard mainspring S&W.

Top Bottom