• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TaylorS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2014
    I have a old colt A2 upper on a century lower only thing I can make it eat without problems is 62gr. . My BBG and the M4 eats everything. can I get some 55 loaded so they feed and cycle in the older A2 and the other 2 or should I just keep 62gr on hand for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    I am not the expert, but I'm assuming the M4 feed ramps were added in the M4. Does the A2 have anything to assist a round to smoothly transition out of the magazine? Is it something that can be enhanced on an A2?

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The most important factor in AR-15's is the barrel twist rate and to a lesser extent the barrel length. Is the accuracy poor or is it malfunctioning? You didn't specify what the problem was. Tell us that and we may be able to help.

Flash

TaylorS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2014
    The A2 has failure to eject /feed / stovepiping with the factory 55gr of several manufactures. I haven't shot any reloads through it yet. The A2 has the original feed ramp and I assume the 1:12 twist 20" barrel

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The slow 1:12 twist may have been common in the old A1 uppers but they are very uncommon in the A2's. Normal A2 twists are !: 7, 8 or 9 especially in a 20" length. The slow twist rates are very uncommon in A2 uppers as they only handle very light (actually shorter) bullets well.

The twist rate isn't the problem. It sounds like the upper is short stroking because that causes a wide variety of malfunctions. Are any of your rounds steel case imported manufacture? A friend was shooting a match on the 200 yard firing line right next to me. He had to single load every round. The ammo? Wolf steel case. There wasn't a thing wrong with his rifle.

Flash

Last edited:

TaylorS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2014
    I've used some in the past but it's for the most part Winchester and federal and w/e the 55 gr lake city stuff is all in brass case and shoots well in the varmint and M4 variations this A2 just doesn't seem to like it

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've fired a ton of that ammo in a wide variety of AR's. My bet would be that the ammo is OK. Time to check the gas tube, take the BCG apart, check the gas rings and if that checks OK, get into the buffer and spring.

Flash

Top Bottom