• SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Some people buy a Rolex when they can buy a Timex.

Some people with Timex's will never understand the point of owning a Rolex. ;) Actually, I won't even say Rolex since they are kind of too stereotypically trendy. How about a Patek instead? Precision handcraftsmanship is a thing of beauty.
    Target Sports

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Some people think they can buy their way to the top of competition.
    It's not possible to (monetarily) buy your way to the top. And if you're at the top, you can probably beat everyone on the average field even if you're stuck with crap equipment.

However, good equipment sure does make it easier for novices to learn more, quicker, and more correctly. I hate seeing someone start with crap equipment. Later, when they become frustrated at their lack of progress because the equipment is holding them back, they find that their money was wasted. When they finally chuck out the "starter" equipment and get good stuff, they waste a bunch of time correcting all the bad habits they picked up to compensate for the crap equipment they started with.

I say start with the best and if you don't like the sport you can usually sell it for roughly what you paid for it. If you can't afford something 95% as good as "the best" (a standard that is often surprisingly affordable), then choose a different sport.

All that said, I have no idea what purpose the X5 serves to make it worth that kind of money. Somebody on here with wider experiences than me will have to provide some insight into that question.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Some people with Timex's will never understand the point of owning a Rolex. ;) Actually, I won't even say Rolex since they are kind of too stereotypically trendy. How about a Patek instead? Precision handcraftsmanship is a thing of beauty.

I actually wasn't putting down Rolex or any high end precision piece, just stating that some will buy one and some will buy another.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    There are a lot of tarriffs and fees associated with a gun being built in Germany and shipped here for sale. That at lease adds $200-300 to one.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    And it's worth paying that and more over the crap coming out of New Hampster.

What makes it crap.

This thread was about a Sig wasn't it? Has their QC really gone down that much or did they just start selling some guns that are no quite as smooth at a cheaper price?

Serious question because to some, anything less than hand built one gun at a time is crap. To others, not being able to order a replacement part without having it hand fitted is crap.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I actually wasn't putting down Rolex or any high end precision piece, just stating that some will buy one and some will buy another.

I know. I was just messing with you. ;)

As far as Sig USA's quality control, yes, it has slipped. You can still get an excellent quality gun a majority of the time. Since Ron Cohen took over the company (which is when QC started slipping substantially), there have also been a number of questionable models added to the lineup, that don't really live up to the SIG / Swiss Arms name or heritage.

Perfect example. Polymer SIGs. There was the original SP2009 (wish I never sold mine), which is an excellent quality gun and downright bargain in the SIG world. Despite being polymer, the looks and the precision craftsmanship were still there. Ron Cohen comes along, and then comes the P250 series. I know some here have P250's and like them, and that's great, but the history surrounding them is not so great unfortunately. Novel concept, but the reality was sub par at best. The concept was sold to quite a few LE agencies, and due to a massive number of QC problems, component failures, etc. within relatively small round counts (remember, we're talking hundreds or thousands of guns for departments/agencies), there were TONS of agencies dumping these guns as fast as possible.

Keep in mind, this is all SIG USA. SIG Germany, and their custom shop are still pumping out guns of basically the same quality as always.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Also interesting to note is that Ron Cohen was also the guy that previously became Kimber USA's CEO and derailed that company. Early Kimbers actually were just fine, but since Ron, not so much. Funny to note is that some of the newer SIG models are pretty much direct descendants from Kimber models. Take a look at the SIG Equinox series and the Kimber Eclipse series to see what I mean. From a fiscal standpoint, the company may have improved, however bean counting does not necessarily a good gun make.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    From a fiscal standpoint, the company may have improved, however bean counting does not necessarily a good gun make.

I don't know much about gun companies but I know when Gibson guitars started letting their accountants make their decisions they almost went out of business for the reasons you mentioned. We'll see what happens to SIG USA. They are hardly the only girl on the corner of the block...

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    i'm not read into all the stuff going on at sig - but i love their pistols....i own several and have had zero issues with them

and the X-5......just incredible

Top Bottom