• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I went in to pay the tax, the county/state require in order for me to drive my own vehicle today.
    In other words, I went to the county tax office to pay my "vehicle registration"

I get in line with my little letter they send out and my cash in hand when I realize I didn't have my proof of insurance with me.
    Crap, the lady calls "next" and I go on up to the window, thinking, she will ask for proof of insurance and I will have to leave and go get it.

She takes the paper, ask me for $67 and I pay her, she hands me the decal and my change.
    OK, ... I ask, why didn't you ask for POI?

she says they verify that electronically now

thats news to me.

When did this start?

How is this done and which area of privacy of mine is being invaded now?
    Lynx Defense

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    They started doing it several years ago to help catch the jerks that go in, get a policy, get tags and inspection - then not pay the policy payments and they'd cancel the insurance - but they'd keep driving, because they already had the "proof of insurance" paper to show in a traffic stop. Now, when they pull you over and you've done that, they know it, and then they act accordingly, either citing for no insurance or towing it on the spot.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    They started doing it several years ago to help catch the jerks that go in, get a policy, get tags and inspection - then not pay the policy payments and they'd cancel the insurance - but they'd keep driving, because they already had the "proof of insurance" paper to show in a traffic stop. Now, when they pull you over and you've done that, they know it, and then they act accordingly, either citing for no insurance or towing it on the spot.

yes, but HOW do they know this?
    who tells them if you have insurance or not?

is this something that they make all insurance carriers report our VINs to a big data base?

steve-o

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Arlington
    When the uninsured motorist thing started I say a couple of cops running plates in a parking lot with a small fleet of tow trucks standing by, and they were in the process of towing two. I like the idea cause I've been hit 5 times by uninsured d-bags. I'm sure Fred Loya, and The General enjoy the enforcement also

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Went to the DMV yesterday and the lady said she didn't need to see my insurance papers.

ETA: Interesting that you can STILL get a citation even though the officer KNOWS you have insurance.

fgarcia3441

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    SA (Sea World Area)
    Went to the DMV yesterday and the lady said she didn't need to see my insurance papers.

ETA: Interesting that you can STILL get a citation even though the officer KNOWS you have insurance.

I think is because you have to show prof of liability insurance

Sent from my Tandy 1000 using Tapatalk 2 with Magnetic tape technology

Top Bottom