• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cotys

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    Frisco, Tx
    I still have my vibratory cleaner, but I bought a Lyman wet tumbler with pins a year ago. It has a large container and a sturdy base. It has a timer for up to 3 hours. Ive found 2 hours has brass shiney clean, including the primer pockets. Dirty brass comes out looking new.

Ive been very impressed!
    Texas SOT

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    Ultrasonic doesn't come close to getting brass as clean as pins. I have both, and seldom use my ultrasonic.

Save up your lunch money, and get a FART (Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler). They go on sale on Black Friday.

I've been doing stainless tumbling for a few years now. I use 1 gallon of water, 1 tbsp of wash-n-wax, and ¼ tsp of Lemishine. I started with my buddy's Thumbler and it was great. Mrs got the Frankford for me as a Christmas gift, and I run it several times a week. I don't bother counting my brass, I wash when I have a full bucket. You can put 30 lbs loaded in the FART. After a range trip, I decap my brass, and toss it in the drum.

Twist the knob and in 1-3 hours I have shiny brass, inside and out.

Rinse thoroughly, and toss in a cheap food dehydrator for speedy drying with very few water spots. Usually 30 minutes will be completely dry.

I wash tons of brass, and have had nothing but good experience with this method.

I did pony up for a really good media separator, the cheap bucket ones are flimsy, the Dillon separator kicks ass. Big tub, and rigid basket makes it a joy to use.

I do have a media magnet to move the pins from the tub to the FART drum.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    I looked into building my own rotary tumbler

For the cost of quality materials (pillow bearing and motor, plus drum) I was near the cost of the FART. This didn't factor in my time to fabricate it and the inevitable tuning to get it working just right. Add in that pins are about $40 for 5 lbs (come with the FART) and it becomes a very good value.

Henry David Thoreau

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    If I were starting from scratch, I would buy also. But I have pillow blocks, motors, controllers, rubber roller wheels, metal etc, and the time to do it. I was given pins and cleaner by a friend.
    The only thing I don't have is a drum. I have seen people make them from old freon bottles lined with rubber. I don't think I'd be happy with the finished product. If there is a better container that is easily made into a proper tumbling drum I'm open to suggestions. If I could buy a drum for reasonable money I'd do that.

I have other things to clean besides cases also, mostly machine parts.

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    You can buy a Frankford drum. They are listed on the Battenfield website, item #909789. And msrp for $79.99

I've seen some clever ones on YouTube.

There are also drums available from Stainless Tumbling Media.com

Henry David Thoreau

ScS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    saline
    [QUOTE="AR1911, post: 1644923,Supp]ScS, I've been wanting to build a tumbler, but can't figure out how to do the drum. What did you use?[/QUOTE]

The tube is the hard part to find, no supplier wants to sell 2 ft, they want to sell 20 at $2.00 a foot. I have some you can have if you will pay shipping. I have 6in or 8in sch80. The 6in caps will be about $45 and 8in double that. If you decide to do it I can tell you some of the do's and donate.
    NCM_0164.JPG

The hard part is the tube. Suppliers dont

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    ScS, thanks for the offer. If I don't find something local I may take you up on that.

I do have a fiberglass tank that is about 10" diameter and about 4 ft long. I may look at cutting a section out of that. I probably have something else laying around I haven't thought of. Otherwise I may stop in at one of the local metal recycle yards and see what they have

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    The Frankford drum is 7 liters of capacity.

The STM drum is the same size as a Thumbler drum, a little over a gallon of capacity.

Henry David Thoreau

ScS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    saline
    ScS, thanks for the offer. If I don't find something local I may take you up on that.

I do have a fiberglass tank that is about 10" diyou usemter and about 4 ft long. I may look at cutting a section out of that. I probably have something else laying around I haven't thought of. Otherwise I may stop in at one of the local metal recycle yards and see what they have

If you want to go big a old air compressor tank would work. It needs paddles so the end would need to come off, tack some paddles in there then weld end back on. No matter what you use fill it full of water so brass can't go airborne and cause dings. The pins should should weigh more than the brass for best job. I use 10# pins to 8# brass.

ScS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    saline
    If you want to go big a old air compressor tank would work. It needs paddles so the end would need to come off, tack some paddles in there then weld end back on. No matter what you use fill it full of water so brass can't go airborne and cause dings. The pins should should weigh more than the brass for best job. I use 10# pins to 8# brass.
    Air tank will not work it would rust soo
    I should have thought of that.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I've got an 8 gal. water heater tank I'd give to somebody if they'd pick it up! First to claim it gets it brought to the meet Sat. after next. Just throwing that out there. I was going to make a BBQ pit/grill from it but I'm too lazy. :green:
    It's about 24" long and a little more than 12" dia. No insulation, outer covering, etc. Just the tank.

Last edited:

ScS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    saline
    If Iga starting from scratch, I would buy also. But I have pillow blocks, motors, controllers, rubber roller wheels, metal etc, and the time to do it. I was given pins and cleaner by a friend.
    The only thing I don't have is a drum. I have seen people make them from old freon bottles lined with rubber. I don't think I'd be happy with the finished product. If there is a better container that is easily made into a proper tumbling drum I'm open to suggestions. If I could buy a drum for reasonable money I'd do that.

I have other things to clean besides cases also, mostly machine parts.

I have seen 5gal water jugs used, but putting vains in it can be a problem. The big lid makes it easy to fill and empty.

Top Bottom