• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    This thread has brought back a ton of great memories. On dads side,his parents, they were immigrants from Italy. They signed their names and were vetted at Ellis Island. Yep, their names are in the book. On moms side, her great, great grand parents came from Scotland in the early 1700's and landed in Tennessee and eventually moved to Texas in the 1800's. As a side note....on moms side, we have a family cemetery in Irene Texas, near Hillsborough that is listed with the Texas Historical Society and one of my kin folk is on it because he was wounded at the battle oh Shiloh fighting for the south and is buried here.

But....growing up we would go to grannies farm in Irene on 1 Sunday for chickens and dumplings. The next Sunday was at mamas for spaghetti and meat balls. we alternated every other Sunday between Grannies and Mamas. On Grannies Sunday she would go the chicken yard, grab one, wring it's neck and pluck it for our Sunday meal. We would go the the chicken coop and gather eggs, go along the fence and grab peanuts, chase the goats and play in the hay loft. Lucky by this time there was an inside toilet and inside running water. The well was still there with the rope and bucket and some of the nastiest water you would ever,try, to drink.

On Mamas Sunday we would get a small taste of Pam-paws home made wine, help, or try to, make the spaghetti and meat balls, Italian bread, home made sauce, sit in the apple tree and eat apples, gather pecans and suck on persimmon seeds.

One Sunday in the country, next Sunday in the city. This went on until I was around 8 years old and the old people began dying off.

Great memories. Thanks for the thread.

My father in laws family was from Sicily. The surname was Culo but was anglicized to Callo. Culo in italian means ass. I tell my wife she should have kept it that way and she slapped me on the back of the head :laughing:

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Having spent 30+ years working Sundays they have very little to distinguish them from week days!

I'm all for a return to blue laws!

Sundays were family time and I too believe abolishing the blue laws helped bring about the change. People in retail then had to work which just led to others shopping on both weekend days versus Saturday. Though Texas blue laws were only started in 1961 they were all I knew. My adult children never knew the blue laws so once they hit teenage years, working or going to shop on Sunday removed the lazy Sunday family time we'd try to instill.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Well it was a productive, but tiring weekend. We got both fields baled Saturday and today. Only minor problems surfaced, but nothing major, so that is good for the equipment!

Wife and I went out to eat at the Stockman's Cafe in Elkhart last night since both of us were craving a chicken fried steak! And were they good! I got the fries and fried okra with mine, and the okra was awesome. We had some hand battered onion rings for an appetizer, and they were what an onion ring should be!

We got an early start this morning on baling and got finished up this afternoon. All that is left is to move the hay bales in a few days from the hay fields.

Wife and I are grilling steaks and shrimp outside on the grill, and having handmade fries with some home made baked bread. We had planned on having baked potatoes, but we were out of baking potatoes! So she is making some steak fries instead.

I'm winding down right now, getting my coals going to grill, and enjoying a cold Shiner Bock.

Life is good, and God is great.

Top Bottom