• ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I am looking for a source where I can purchase Cosmoline or its current commercially available equivalent. I am not asking for a commercial source of any current product that uses Cosmoline in the name of its products but sells something that is not essentially the same as the original such as currently available spray on products that by my guess are Cosmoline in name only. Anyone have a source? Thanks.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    I guess we can run an experiment and find out after the Biden Harris administration is gone, eh?
    All kidding aside, I'd rather not experiment, I'd much rather hear from someone who has used either. The product from Cosmoline Direct has one seemingly great advantage - its minimum melting point is 162 degrees F. Brownell's Rust Veto supposedly has a melting point between 140 - 170 degrees F. A temp of 140 degrees is a temperature that I think would not too difficult to reach inside an above ground enclosure that is not airconditioned like a storage shed or locker in pplaces where the ambient air temp reaches the 120's - that is somewhat of a concern.

Last edited:

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Not sure but aint cosmoline really just about obsolete?
    I look at it this way: Cosmoline is a tried and true product that I know works. I also am quite familiar with getting it off of guns. Anything that has come out in recent decades has not been proven to be as good or protect metal as long as far as I am aware. So, if there is a product that claims to be the same thing, I'd rather buy it than spray on stuff or goop about which I have no clue as to its efficacy. That's the thing about being an old fart - going with what has worked virtually forever. I have the "If it ain't broke - don't fix it" mentality.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I look at it this way: Cosmoline is a tried and true product that I know works. I also am quite familiar with getting it off of guns. Anything that has come out in recent decades has not been proven to be as good or protect metal as long as far as I am aware. So, if there is a product that claims to be the same thing, I'd rather buy it than spray on stuff or goop about which I have no clue as to its efficacy. That's the thing about being an old fart - going with what has worked virtually forever. I have the "If it ain't broke - don't fix it" mentality.
    I would consider some of the lanolin based anti-corrosive treatments if I had trouble finding Cosmoline.

Cosmoline works and is a known quantity.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    What about a big thing of grease from Tractor Supply? Isn't cosmoline grease? I have never read about or researched it.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Brownells used to sell it. Maybe check over there?
    Brownell's has the stuff that melts at 140 degrees, the other place I mentioned says their product (wich they calim is the same as WWII grade Cosmoline) melts at 160 something. I am thinking of going for that one but am hopeful someone has experience with one or the other.,

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Ref Brownell's, I never heard of describing a liquid-in-a-can in terms of weight rather than volume. FWIW, Cosmoline is $20/pound (minimum size is 1 qt & weighs 2# -> $40 minimum purchase) and the Brownell product is $15/# (is this minimum purchase size one pint?). Weight is probably shipping weight?? If you choose Cosmoline & need more than one quart, you might share a more economical 1 gallon size with some other boat owner.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Buy a Mosin, you'll have more cosmoline than you'll know what to do with!

1605290285520.png

Top Bottom