• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Cucumbers, sliced and soaked in vinegar was regularly see ed as well.

I love those Japanese cukes, well any really, with onions, marinated in rice vinegar or salad vinegar.

As an aside, my doc tells me all kinds of things that I mostly ignore. But I do have to pay attention to some things thanx to hereditary high triglycerides and diabetes. I thought I would die from a heart attack or a stroke, a family tradition, until my dad was the first one on both sides of the family to get cancer. Now I got something new to worry about.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I love those Japanese cukes, well any really, with onions, marinated in rice vinegar or salad vinegar.

As an aside, my doc tells me all kinds of things that I mostly ignore. But I do have to pay attention to some things thanx to hereditary high triglycerides and diabetes. I thought I would die from a heart attack or a stroke, a family tradition, until my dad was the first one on both sides of the family to get cancer. Now I got something new to worry about.
    The way I have eaten all these years, and the things I still eat, I probably should have died many years ago!

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    I grew up on a farm. If we didn't grow it, we didn't eat it. And what Daddy grew put every nickle in the bank. If you haven't skimmed the cream off of fresh milk, churned butter from the cream (after a big gulp :)), or sliced bacon off of a sow belly hanging in the smoke house, you didn't grow up like I did.

Fresh fruits including plums, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, and huckleberries. And jam made out of the same. A spoon of lard (rendered in the wash pot) went in the cast iron skillet before every pan of cornbread. A chunk of smoked ham went in every pot of peas. The pressure cooker stayed going all summer (no air conditioning) with Momma canning all kinds of vegetables from the garden.

But my favorites of Mamma's cooking was chicken and dumplings, turnip greens, chicken fried steak, and huckleberry cobbler. I can still smell the chicken boiling in the pot! I can still remember working for a half a day to pick enough huckleberries for the cobbler. I can still remember Daddy picking out the perfect 600 lb calf to kill and butcher.

I can also remember Daddy killing a hog or two in the fall. Momma would heat a lot of water from the well in the wash pot, and they would scald the hog, then scrape it. Have you every eaten fresh cracklings? Oh my gosh, you can't buy those in a store! And then once the hog was quartered they would rub it down with either sugar cure, or salt cure (depending on the cut) and hang it in the smoke house. It would stay there for months with no flies, no decay, and just age until we ate it!

Yeah, southern cooking is the best. My parents lived into their 80's eating lard at every meal. In the biscuits, the cornbread, or the yeast bread. And they didn't have any blocked arteries. Natural home grown food is not what you can buy in a store today.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Sunday at my grandmother's meant fried chicken. With that was fried eggplant, greens, creamed corn, creamed peas, creamed succotash, creamed "navy" beans, or stewed tomatoes with bread. (I only found out later that's where stale bread went.) Everything but greens or string beans was "creamed" with some sort of gravy. Mashed potatoes with gravy and maybe sweet potatoes. Likely a peach or berry pie (dewberry was a favorite.) At holiday time, she'd take bread and dry it, then crush it to a powder, put it in a pie pan and bake it. That "dry dressing" could soak up a gallon of gravy. (There was always gravy.) She'd also bake a mincemeat pie for my dad, who was the only one who liked that. (To this day I don't know what that actually is, but it's awful.) Green beans were often on the menu, as my dad grew acres of them. (Well, it seemed like acres to me when I had to hoe them or pick them.)

My family didn't make bread, but we had neighbors that had a small farm and that woman baked bread every single day. They never bought a loaf of bread. That was the first thing you smelled when you stepped into the house. Fresh bread with butter is amazing. They also had a feather bed, which is surprisingly not comfortable at all.

Summer was spent canning everything you grew or traded some neighbor for. Beans, peaches, tomatoes, jellies - we didn't buy that stuff at all. Strawberries came from a farm down the road that had a little stand set up by the mailbox. You took the little baskets and left money in the little box inside the stand. You'd also leave the empty baskets.

Even in college, one of my roommates lived on a farm that sold potatoes. Every time he visited home, he brought back a sack of potatoes. There are no bad ways to fix potatoes. We had them fried, mashed, baked, scalloped, hashbrowned, pancaked, and made into soup. Another roommate had a recipe for oven-fried chicken that would make you throw away KFC.

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    All gotta die some time.
    That's what smokers say too until you run into them at MD Anderson. I love that food also but my wife only prepares it in moderation. My parents came towards the tail end of their large families 8 and 6. By the time I came along, one grandmother was a re-married widow (he didn't get a penny or any of the land) and the other one had TB so their cooking was not so much. I would have been afraid to eat it if they had.

Last edited:

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    That’s so funny you mentioned Polk Salad. My dad talked about picking it and then the procedure to cook the snot out of it just to safely eat it. I’ve never had Polk salad but it must have been something they ate back when he was young.
    I haven't had Polk salad in about 40 years, but I remember it being better than turnip or collard greens.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Have you every eaten fresh cracklings? Oh my gosh, you can't buy those in a store!

As a kid in S Louisiana they tasted so damned good you'd eat until you were sick ...
    We called the community hog killing a boucherie.
    Famous for paper bags full of cracklings that were translucent with fat.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Y'all know it's POKE, not Polk.

Ironically, supporters of James Polk wore pokeweed leaves instead of campaign ribbons to show their support for his candidacy.

All parts of the pokeweed are poisonous, but some people eat the leaves after boiling them and changing the water several times. It's not recommended to eat them as they still retain toxins after boiling.

Native Americans and early settlers used the plants to treat hemorrhoids.

Top Bottom