• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atticus finch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Exactly what do you mean by "crystallization"?
    it's a technical term used to describe where stresses of whatever source actually alter the grain structure of the metal, it forms a crystalline pattern when viewed under magnification.
    Such a crystallization due to stress alters the grain structure of the metal and hence it's physical strength properties at the crystallization location.

take the push tab on the top of a soda can, it's somewhat shiny as-is.
    Work the tab till it breaks off, you'll notice it's no longer shiny at the point of breakage but a duller appearance or color, that'd be a simple example of metal crystallization.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    it's a technical term used to describe where stresses of whatever source actually alter the grain structure of the metal, it forms a crystalline pattern when viewed under magnification.
    Such a crystallization due to stress alters the grain structure of the metal and hence it's physical strength properties at the crystallization location.

take the push tab on the top of a soda can, it's somewhat shiny as-is.
    Work the tab till it breaks off, you'll notice it's no longer shiny at the point of breakage but a duller appearance or color, that'd be a simple example of metal crystallization.

Used to work in metallurgy, corrosion and did failure analysis. That is just not a term we ever used.

Seems you are referring to what we called fatigue.

But I am old...

atticus finch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Used to work in metallurgy, corrosion and did failure analysis. That is just not a term we ever used.

Seems you are referring to what we called fatigue.

But I am old...

Likely fatigue would be the same thing albeit referenced by different terms.
    Crystallization being a term based on what I previously mentioned, what actually happens within the metal grain itself.
    I've seen it under magnification, it actually looks very similar to ice crystals.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom