ARJ Defense ad

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/206953/authentic-cincinnati-chili/ Eat it five way with a chili dog on the side. Cheese should be fresh grated. Don't twirl the pasta, Slice it as the melted cheese will hold it together. Not a Texas chili but very, very tasty.
    Where the HELL you from BOY? Chili is a stew, derived from meals made for the cattle drovers of the 1870s - 1890s. What the FK are you talking about..... DID you come from LA/ or maybe New Yark? Go the F home and stop fng with the TEXAS National Stew

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Chili 5-way is just a fancier form of Chili Mac...and they're both about a 1/2 a step away from good 'ol Midwestern Goulash. My dad would make Goulash in an electric skillet. It was one of the few things he would make if my mother wasn't going to be home in time to make dinner, He was pretty heavy handed with the spice so our asses would be on fire for the next day or two. Good times.
    View attachment 360005
    Sounds to me like you been pinned and recessed in some prison shower and then used like a whoreassed lowest Democrat operative for biden and kumela while holding Hillary's skanky undies

CharlieWH2O

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 14, 2015
    Galveston County
    Where the HELL you from BOY? Chili is a stew, derived from meals made for the cattle drovers of the 1870s - 1890s. What the FK are you talking about..... DID you come from LA/ or maybe New Yark? Go the F home and stop fng with the TEXAS National Stew
    Better check your chili history there, Bill. Chili has been around longer than that. Oh, and I’m from right here. Chillax…

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Better check your chili history there, Bill. Chili has been around longer than that. Oh, and I’m from right here. Chillax…

The History of Chili​

By Peter Simek 9.24.18

Let’s begin with the unanswerable question: Should there be beans in chili? Some Texans swear by the fact that authentic chili — the kind that first popped up in 19th-century San Antonio and proliferated in chili parlors across the state — does not and should never have beans.

There are historic and culinary reasons why Texans hold firm to this version. But to understand where the tradition comes from, we have to go back to the beginning.

Deep Roots

Chili has roots in Mexican culture, and Tex-Mex culture in particular, but some food historians believe that chili traces its earliest origins from farther-flung locales. Robb Walsh, author of The Tex-Mex Cookbook, argues that the original spice mixes used in the meat and tomato stews have their roots in Moroccan cooking traditions.

“In the 1700s, the government of New Spain recruited Canary Islanders to move to San Antonio,” Walsh writes. “Canary Island women made a tangia-like stew with meat, cumin, garlic, chili peppers, and wild onions that they cooked outdoors in copper kettles in their settlement, La Villita. Their peculiar, chile and cumin-heavy spice blend resembled the Berber seasoning style of Morocco.”

It also resembles the stews Native American tribes would make from wild game they caught.

Walsh argues that chili is a distinctively Texan dish. It isn’t a direct import from Mexico, but rather a reflection of the more complex melting pot that is Texas culture.

Chili Queens

Chili first became popular in San Antonio, where the so-called “Chili Queens” cooked up the dish and served it from stands around San Antonio’s Military Plaza beginning in the 1860s. It was a working-class dish — a quick hearty meal that laborers could rely on during the day.

Often the dish was served spooned on top of tamales or enchiladas (and later, into bags of Fritos to create Frito Pie). Walsh contends that chili’s use as a sauce in Texas dishes meant that it retained a stripped-down profile: just meat, tomatoes, and spices.

National Spread

Facilitated by packaged “chili powder” in 1900, chili spread around the country and was adopted into other traditions. Today, it’s served on hot dogs in Chicago and on pasta in Cincinnati. Its ubiquity was made possible in part by San Antonio’s chili stands at the World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1893.

Today it remains a dish that has both distinct American and Texan traits, a literal melting pot that carries with it the history of a place with each passing bite.

For more Texas food culture, try these salsa recipes or the state’s best kolache stops.

© 2018 Texas Farm Bureau Insurance

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Chili 5-way is just a fancier form of Chili Mac...and they're both about a 1/2 a step away from good 'ol Midwestern Goulash. My dad would make Goulash in an electric skillet. It was one of the few things he would make if my mother wasn't going to be home in time to make dinner, He was pretty heavy handed with the spice so our asses would be on fire for the next day or two. Good times.
    View attachment 360005
    I would pound town that chit!! 3 bowls later.....

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    View attachment 360005

My mom made a dish she called “slop.” It looks a lot like that one.

Not as spicey as her chili which I recall did have kidney beans. The slop had ground beef, diced tomatoes, corn or hominy, and kidney beans. Then when it had cooked fir a couple hours, right before we ate it she added elbow macaroni. Sometimes she would grate cheese on top.

It was fantastic. It was definitely not chili, but it’s a great memory from my childhood. I know now it was a cheap meal to make and with the right spices it was great.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    View attachment 360005

Looks & sounds a lot like the Goulash my mother used to make.

With a nice salad with veggies straight from the garden it was a great meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom