• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2nd Abeliever

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Texas
    Hey all. I'm new here so bare with me. Greetings. I have recently become interested in the Spanish FR8 and would like to know if any of you out there have had any good/bad experiences with these. Also, if I were interested in purchasing one, how can I manage to find one? All input/thoughts/comments will be appreciated.
    Texas SOT

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    I bought one back when they hit the C&R market about 7 years ago. Great little rifle came to me in what appeared to be unfired condition. There has long been discussion (often pasionately) about wheather the early version 2 lug Mauser bolt had the fortitude to stand up to the modern 308 pressures. I have heard both sides of the argument and all I can say is I trusted mine to handle NATO ammo and it never blew up. I did not put many rounds through mine and it remains "like new". I would shoot it again without fear. You can find them in a J C Devine inc auction and guntrader may have them. I think I paid about 160 for mine and I'll wager they are worth about 3 bills now although that is a guess.

2nd Abeliever

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Texas
    Appreciate the info HH. I try not to think of doing the online auction deal in order to save on shipping and all, but I'l give 'em a glance. BTW, if you ever think of letting yours go, let me know as I may be interested. I've read up on the debate about the pressures and all, I think I would play it on the safe side and go with the NOT-HOT ammo. Thanks again.

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    Stick around, you never know, maybe I will part with it some day. Lower pressure ammo would not be a bad idea. I would avoid the modern 308 sporting ammo and research which 762x51 ammo is more tame. I have tons of nato ammo and I think I used the Spanish ammo in mine to be safe. When you get one you have to follow up with a CETME to complete the package. And of course, I got one of those too.

armadillo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    TX
    Mine shoots much better than I expected. I have shot surplus GI ammo with good results. If you get one - it has a strange but effective system for sight adjustment.

They used to sell for just over $100, but the last one I saw at a gun show was marked $365.

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    I wish I had bought a pallet load of the things and another pallet of the MAS49/56.

Little known fact (and I may not be 100% accurate here) is many of the weapons designers in Spain were engineers that fled post Nazi Germany looking to escape the hangman's noose if things got sticky. They designed the CETME. When it appeared that relations between the Allies and the Germans were fast tracking back to good they returned to Germany in 48 or 49 and brought the pattern from the CETME and designed the G3. They later formed H&K from that group. Some of you gun nerds that know every factoid can correct my shooting from the hip history lesson.

2nd Abeliever

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Texas
    Regarding this history....

I wish I had bought a pallet load of the things and another pallet of the MAS49/56.

Little known fact (and I may not be 100% accurate here) is many of the weapons designers in Spain were engineers that fled post Nazi Germany looking to escape the hangman's noose if things got sticky. They designed the CETME. When it appeared that relations between the Allies and the Germans were fast tracking back to good they returned to Germany in 48 or 49 and brought the pattern from the CETME and designed the G3. They later formed H&K from that group. Some of you gun nerds that know every factoid can correct my shooting from the hip history lesson.

I had read about this too. Unfortunate that I have never really seen any extensive coverage or any documentaries (on History Channel for example) on the dark hours of this period in Spain's history.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom