• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I don't know of any actual Spanish restaurants if you are looking for that, but I would suggest El Gallo and Nuevo Leon in South Austin if you are looking for Tex-Mex. El Gallo isn't afraid to make things spicy, and Nuevo Leon has damn good enchiladas.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I've never been to a Spanish or Tapas restaurant, mostly because I've only heard of one in my life and that was many years ago, but Tex-Mex nor Mexican are very different. A friend that had gone to the only Tapas I'd ever heard of was here in DFW area and it sounded great.

You'd probably have to find what may be rare, but area's with large Spanish immigrant populations. Can't say I've ever heard of any place like that though. Several different European country settlements (if you want to call them that) where great authentic cultural restaurants are, but those are usually hard to find unless from someone that knows of them.

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    When I visit San Antonio, I always stop by Mi Tierra in the Market Square. The locals don't really go there much because it's a tourist attraction, but they have some great carne guisada.

Edit: I reread your post and you're looking for tapas restaurants. I think Mi Tierra has some tapas style dishes on the menu, but not positive.

Infamous

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    North Dallas
    I've never been to a Spanish or Tapas restaurant, mostly because I've only heard of one in my life and that was many years ago, but Tex-Mex nor Mexican are very different. A friend that had gone to the only Tapas I'd ever heard of was here in DFW area and it sounded great.

You'd probably have to find what may be rare, but area's with large Spanish immigrant populations. Can't say I've ever heard of any place like that though. Several different European country settlements (if you want to call them that) where great authentic cultural restaurants are, but those are usually hard to find unless from someone that knows of them.

whats the name of the tapas restaurant your buddy went to in dfw? thanks!

50calRay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    blah
    When I visit San Antonio, I always stop by Mi Tierra in the Market Square. The locals don't really go there much because it's a tourist attraction, but they have some great carne guisada.

Edit: I reread your post and you're looking for tapas restaurants. I think Mi Tierra has some tapas style dishes on the menu, but not positive.

We love eating there

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    What's a tapas????

OK, since no one else is going to ask, I guess I've gotta show my ignorance. I've lived in Texas all my life and I have eaten more than my share of Mexican/TexMex food, in fact I am a addict, but I don't know what a tapas is.:(
    Please help me out. Am I missing out on something??

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    OK, since no one else is going to ask, I guess I've gotta show my ignorance. I've lived in Texas all my life and I have eaten more than my share of Mexican/TexMex food, in fact I am a addict, but I don't know what a tapas is.:(
    Please help me out. Am I missing out on something??

I have to admit, I've never eaten it either, but it's not real common to find.

First off, it's not Mexican or Texmex but for some reason, some people just can't get it that Spain and Mexico are not one in the same countries. :p

Spain is Mediterranean (other side of the Atlantic), Mexico is not.

Tapas is like small dishes of like appetizers that are also used as full meals. I think a lot of sea food and veggies prepared with different types of spices from that region. If you think Mediterranean, I think you'll be on the right track.

Someone else might be able to explain it better, but if you Google Tapas you'll probably come up with a bunch of recipes etc. to give you an idea.

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    There's a couple of Cuban restaurants out here in Austin. They have a few Spanish dishes on the menu. The paella is pretty good, but a bit pricy. I forgot the names of the places, but there's always google.

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    When In N. Dallas....

I have to admit, I've never eaten it either, but it's not real common to find.

First off, it's not Mexican or Texmex but for some reason, some people just can't get it that Spain and Mexico are not one in the same countries. :p

Spain is Mediterranean (other side of the Atlantic), Mexico is not.

Tapas is like small dishes of like appetizers that are also used as full meals. I think a lot of sea food and veggies prepared with different types of spices from that region. If you think Mediterranean, I think you'll be on the right track.

Someone else might be able to explain it better, but if you Google Tapas you'll probably come up with a bunch of recipes etc. to give you an idea.

Thanks, I guess thats why I didn't know what a tapas was, I have never eaten at a Mediterranean restruant. Not because I don't like them, I just never have eaten at one.
    Anyway, nobody asked, but just in case anyone would like to know, we really like La Hacienda Tex/Mex Restraunt on Preston Road in Frisco, Texas. Great Mexican food, atmosphere and service! If you ever go there be prepared to wait unless you go sorta early for dinner. Long lines nearly every night, especially on the weekends. But worth the wait.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Thanks, I guess thats why I didn't know what a tapas was, I have never eaten at a Mediterranean restruant. Not because I don't like them, I just never have eaten at one.
    Anyway, nobody asked, but just in case anyone would like to know, we really like La Hacienda Tex/Mex Restraunt on Preston Road in Frisco, Texas. Great Mexican food, atmosphere and service! If you ever go there be prepared to wait unless you go sorta early for dinner. Long lines nearly every night, especially on the weekends. But worth the wait.

There were long wait times at La Hacienda back when they were out in the middle of a pasture. :p

Top Bottom