• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DJB-TX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2023
    D-FW
    I’ve been interested in the Franchi SPAS-12 for a while now, but have been hesitant to plunk down the $$$ due to concerns with it being finicky and certain parts being prone to breakdown (stock shock absorber “tit”, o-ring, etc.). Presuming I can get my hands on one to inspect before buying (or more realistically, having it inspected after buying), what red flags should I be looking for?
    Military Camp

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Destructive Devices: [Include] shotguns with a bore of more than .5 inch in diameter which are not generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes.” Examples deemed destructive devices by the ATF are the Street Sweeper, SPAS-12 and others. These guns are illegal to own unless they were registered during the ATF’s now-expired grace period.

With this in mind you might consider a Benelli M-4 entry gun or a Tromix Sagia

DJB-TX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2023
    D-FW
    Destructive Devices: [Include] shotguns with a bore of more than .5 inch in diameter which are not generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes.” Examples deemed destructive devices by the ATF are the Street Sweeper, SPAS-12 and others. These guns are illegal to own unless they were registered during the ATF’s now-expired grace period.

With this in mind you might consider a Benelli M-4 entry gun or a Tromix Sagia
    Thanks baboon- I’m aware that it was banned at some point, but are you saying that pre-ban (which I understand to mean pre-1987?) ones are unlawful to buy, sell, or otherwise transfer now? I see them for sale every so often on Guntrader, so I’m presuming that they’re not listed as a sting operation… am I wrong?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Thanks baboon- I’m aware that it was banned at some point, but are you saying that pre-ban (which I understand to mean pre-1987?) ones are unlawful to buy, sell, or otherwise transfer now? I see them for sale every so often on Guntrader, so I’m presuming that they’re not listed as a sting operation… am I wrong?
    unless i'm mistaken they would be an nfa transfer!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Interesting… I’ve never had to deal with one of those before. If that’s the case, would it preclude a private sale (i.e. not thru FFL)?
    BATFE really wants the transfer of a destructive device to go thru a Type 09 dealer. The thing is very few of them around, and because of their license cost tend to want more for a transfer.

However if a Type 09 is not ready available in your are a class Class 2 SOT are allowed 2 transfers of destructive devices per year. At least that was how it was when I bought my destructive device.

While the tax stamp for a destructive device is $200.00 the transfer fee might be higher.

DJB-TX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2023
    D-FW
    Basically all of the above- you hit the mail on the head. I really appreciate the switchable nature of its action (much as I admire the BAR’s variable-speed auto fire), and I’d be lying if I didn’t say it looks incredible, Hollywood stardom or not. To prove the prior point, I don’t even particularly care if one has a fixed or foldable stock. As long as it’s in good shape, at the right price, and won’t land me in unintended legal trouble (i.e. has the necessary papers/transferable registration), it’d find a good home with me. Are you hinting you have one on offer, Baboon? :)

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    There are no red flags. The gums are beasts!
    We had one back in the 1980s and could not get it to fail - slugs, buckshot, birdshot. Any mix, semi or pump.

Thy cost $495. How much are they go(ug)ing for now?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Basically all of the above- you hit the mail on the head. I really appreciate the switchable nature of its action (much as I admire the BAR’s variable-speed auto fire), and I’d be lying if I didn’t say it looks incredible, Hollywood stardom or not. To prove the prior point, I don’t even particularly care if one has a fixed or foldable stock. As long as it’s in good shape, at the right price, and won’t land me in unintended legal trouble (i.e. has the necessary papers/transferable registration), it’d find a good home with me. Are you hinting you have one on offer, Baboon? :)
    If you want to buy a shotgun with a stamp get a Benelli 11724 CQB/Entry gun, or the Tromix Sagia. If you want a destructive device but a M203 Grenade Launcher. I can't see a SPAS 12 being worthy of a stamp. The SPAS is big & clunky. Then figure out if there is any kind of support for the SPAS because they are getting up in years.

If you like the semi auto/pump train of though buy a Benelli M3 Super 90, or buy a one thats a factory SBS if you want to involve a stamp.

The thing about a shot gun is they need to move fluidly. I have a factory Benelli 11724 & often though about railed fore end, but the gun would weigh more & feel different. In my mind Phuc it up. Hell I have thought about a Aimpoint micro or my Zeiss Z-Point, but the gun just shoulders & gets on target the way a shot gun should.

My guess a LMT M203 with a stand alone stock would still be cheaper the SPAS. M203 is far cooler of a weapon.

Then again I look at the 12gauge high capacity bullpups as bulky clunky guns.

Hell my old Benelli SBE with the extended tube is a far better shotgun then a SPAS.

DJB-TX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2023
    D-FW
    There are no red flags. The gums are beasts!
    We had one back in the 1980s and could not get it to fail - slugs, buckshot, birdshot. Any mix, semi or pump.

Thy cost $495. How much are they go(ug)ing for now?
    Considerably more than $495… let’s just say that. I’ve seen wildly varying prices, all in the thousands.

DJB-TX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2023
    D-FW
    If you want to buy a shotgun with a stamp get a Benelli 11724 CQB/Entry gun, or the Tromix Sagia. If you want a destructive device but a M203 Grenade Launcher. I can't see a SPAS 12 being worthy of a stamp. The SPAS is big & clunky. Then figure out if there is any kind of support for the SPAS because they are getting up in years.

If you like the semi auto/pump train of though buy a Benelli M3 Super 90, or buy a one thats a factory SBS if you want to involve a stamp.

The thing about a shot gun is they need to move fluidly. I have a factory Benelli 11724 & often though about railed fore end, but the gun would weigh more & feel different. In my mind Phuc it up. Hell I have thought about a Aimpoint micro or my Zeiss Z-Point, but the gun just shoulders & gets on target the way a shot gun should.

My guess a LMT M203 with a stand alone stock would still be cheaper the SPAS. M203 is far cooler of a weapon.

Then again I look at the 12gauge high capacity bullpups as bulky clunky guns.

Hell my old Benelli SBE with the extended tube is a far better shotgun then a SPAS.
    I have a Rem 1100 Tac2, which has done me well since I bought it a long time ago (though it apparently hasn’t appreciated much in value, but then again it’s still being made as far as I know), which suits for defensive purposes. So a SPAS is more for enjoyment and, frankly, investment to an extent. But I take your points with Benellis, which have always impressed though I’ve never had the pleasure of using one. I doubt the wife would be ok with an M203 in the house (supposing that one can legally acquire 40mm M203 rounds, which would be way beyond my knowledge), though you’re right about it generally being less expensive - yeesh.

I appreciate the detailed comments!

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    They look cool, but loading them sucks, it's far from fast and easy.

I think the early version had a lever safety that would cause the gun to discharge when engaged/disengaged (can't remember which). They were recalled, and are more rare than the later ones (iirc)

I suggest getting a Benelli or even a Beretta 1301 instead.

DJB-TX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2023
    D-FW
    Thanks zackmars- yeah, the lever safety has been known to fail over time & potentially cause a discharge when being flipped either direction. You’re right that they were recalled and replaced with a button safety, which I guess makes the ‘original’ ones more rare (and thus more $$$). I doubt I’d go for one of the lever safety ones though, which works out better for the wallet anyway!

DJB-TX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2023
    D-FW
    I am aware that the folding-stock SPAS-12 was designated as a destructive device by ATF. However, I’m hard-pressed to find whether the fixed-stock version (which apparently was produced to overcome that designation and give more of a ‘sporting’ purpose) was also designated as a destructive device. Anyone know, or know where to look? I’m striking out thus far.

XLR8R

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2023
    Paris
    New SPAS-12, back in the day - everyone went Jerry Miculek on it... only gun I regret selling, but IMO not worth current cost & hassle to own.

Top Bottom