Capitol Armory ad

Speaker Bonnen sued in Federal Court for 1st amendment violations, blocking critics on Facebook

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    https://www.facebook.com/754006761373895/posts/2225275107580379/

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aus...en-after-being-blocked-on-facebook/2006978774

Good, I too have been blocked on his page. There has already been a ruling in the 5th circuit on a similar case too.

I hope the tax payers won't have to pay bonehead's attorney fees. But even if they do, it will still get his attention.

It looks like Lone Star Gun Rights may be getting a new member or at least a small donation.

Last edited:

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    People really expect to have absolute First Amendment rights on Facebook? Waste of money to sue for that. I have limited access to my Facebook pages for a select group of individuals. Am I violating everybody's right to free speech in America by blocking folks from my page? Sounds like a boneheaded lawsuit to me. This forum has the right to block people from accessing it and does ban them. Is this forum violating peoples free speech rights by blocking them. No. You can also be counter sued for filing bogus law suits to recover legal costs. FaceBook is a corporation not a government institution.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    People really expect to have absolute First Amendment rights on Facebook? Waste of money to sue for that. I have limited access to my Facebook pages for a select group of individuals. Am I violating everybody's right to free speech in America by blocking folks from my page? Sounds like a boneheaded lawsuit to me. This forum has the right to block people from accessing it and does ban them. Is this forum violating peoples free speech rights by blocking them. No. You can also be counter sued for filing bogus law suits to recover legal costs. FaceBook is a corporation not a government institution.

I don't believe his account is a personal one, rather tied to his public office thereby required to be open to all the public to comment about his public service. Also, the blocking they are complaining about is not being done by Facebook, it's being done by him and/or his staff.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

IIRC, federal courts have ruled the Trump can not block anyone on Twitter because his account is used as part of his political office.

Same would apply here. Regardless of my personal belief on the subject, courts have already made the judgement that when social media is used by a politician to communicate with the public regarding policy the account must be available to everyone.

His personal account would not be subject to the same standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OFFascist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Portland, TX

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    I was concerned that the taxpayers would have to pay his attorney fees. But if he is claiming that his page is a personal one then it seems like he will have to pay them.

If bonehead loses in court that will be a huge win for us. He would either have to take down his FB page or allow criticism on it. Plus he will be out all of the attorney fees and the court costs.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    Ummm, have you followed what happens in politics these days?

Yes, I have been following what is happening in politics.

It seems to me that if bonehead claims his FB is a personal account then he would not be able to use taxpayer money for his legal costs. If he loses the suit and the judge says that his FB account is a public account then he may be able to use taxpayer money to pay the costs.

It is going to be interesting to watch this unfold. Either way it goes we the people will win.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Yes, I have been following what is happening in politics.

It seems to me that if bonehead claims his FB is a personal account then he would not be able to use taxpayer money for his legal costs. If he loses the suit and the judge says that his FB account is a public account then he may be able to use taxpayer money to pay the costs.

It is going to be interesting to watch this unfold. Either way it goes we the people will win.

What is legal and what should happen often has no effect in what politicians get away with.

Not condoning it, just reporting the facts ma'am.

Top Bottom